Windows Phone 8.1 Update

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by PNeV, Aug 11, 2014.

1. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Nokia Lumia 520 work phone just received this update today, any one else UK side got it?

More importantly, where is Cortana?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yep I got it on my L625 via the Preview for Developers app

Cortana should have come with it, it did for everyone Ive heard receiving update 1, myself included

3. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Where do you find it, all of the pictures I see its under C in the app list, but its not there for me?

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea its in the C section of the apps list, also in settings > applications > cortana at the top

What version OS does it say under Settings > About ?

8.10.14147.180 is the Update 1 containing Cortana

EDIT - I think you only received WP8.1, were you running WP8.0 before this update ?

If yes and you want 8.1 update 1 (With Cortana and Live Folders etc) you'll need to register free as a developer and install the Preview for Developers app

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

5. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Ah there is the culprit, mine is:

Wonder when its getting its update then? Seems strange to not push it all out in one go. Other than that I quite like some of the new GUI changes, like the drop down menu from the Top like what is in Android.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Edited my post - you have 8.1, the Cortana version is 8.1.1 (or 8.1 Update 1)

You can get it via the Preview for Developers app

---
    You’ll need to register as a developer for free here using the Microsoft account you are logged into on your phone
    http://appstudio.windowsphone.com/

Then download “Preview for Developers” app from Microsoft from the Store on your phone

Sign into that app with your Microsoft account you used on the phone / developers account

Check the box to enable the developer updates in that app

Now go to the phones settings > phone update > check for updates

7. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Lovely, I will do that. As a work phone, I think Windows phone is great, I can link in with my Office365 account and all sorts, very useful for working on the go. As a home phone, I am still Android (Moto G user).

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The 520 is an amazing phone considering the price, I only just upgraded to the 625 and passed my 520 to my Dad who is now loving it too

Update 1 brings some extra stuff to the table too that you might find interesting

Changelog
    http://telecomtalk.info/windows-phone-8-1-update-features/120616/

Detailed
    https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-US/..._the_documentation_for_Windows_Phone_8.1_GDR1

EDIT - If you haven't already, check Settings > Start+theme > Scroll Down > Show More Tiles

Looks a bit mad when you first enable it, but if you rearrange the start screen with medium and wide tiles (Small are a bit too small on the 520) then it gives a load more screen real-estate

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  9. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Well Cortana does not understand my Northern dialect. I tried to Easter Egg hunt such as "Is Halo Finished?" and I got back "Is Hello Finish"

Racist!

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    More Northern than me? (Newcastle) lol :D

Took 2 attempts and a posh accent, but she understood me and sent me to bing lol

First attempt resulted in "Is Hill Finished?"

Everyone outside of the UK thinks the entire UK talk like a Cockney

11. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Hartlepool, so its not Geordie, but it has that twang.

I don't think it sounds like her at all, or maybe because its the UK Language settings, just sounds like a regular Female voice to me.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea they dropped Jen Taylors voice for the UK version, but apparently MS are planning on de-robotizing her voice in the future

You can ask her things like "Sing me a song", "Tell me a joke" etc

13. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Does any other Phone OS have the Visual Voice Mail option, or have I just been living under a rock for so long? I really like that feature.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not sure, possibly iOS, Im yet to play with it either because noone has left me a voicemail, or because my phone is a country variant, although I am on o2 who I believe to be the first of the UK carriers on WP to offer it

Haven't really read up on it much, so could be wrong, just read a few articles about the new features

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm installing the cyan on my 920 right now. I had to use Nokia Software Recovery tool to downgrade first though. Then it received one pre 8.1 ota update before the actual update.

Hopefully the batter will now last longer...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Some carriers provide "visual voicemail" apps for Android....

17. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    there is an option buried in speech settings called "improve voice recognition for non-native speakers" and I think it helps.. or it is just a placebo.. lol still waiting for cyan, now that the ex nokia dev team is on Microsoft they should include their lumia updates on the DP program I guess, less waiting, no **** carriers getting in the way

18. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I'm liking some of the features that are available on Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1 which is only present on the HTC One M8 such as the ability to auto-hide the on-screen navigation (back, start & search).

I'm waiting patiently for 8.1 on my HTC 8X however, I may bite the bullet and hit the developer updates as HTC are taking their time. It's all very weird because when 8.0 GDR3 was released HTC were the first to deliver the updates and Nokia users waited up to 3 months for it.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    HTC is good at ignoring users. HTC sold me on the Nexus phones when they decided that Trophy owners didn't deserve the WP7.8 update.

20. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    at least they got pretty strong community support, remember the HD2? I guess the new M8 for WP is the next HD2 :p