Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Processors and motherboards Intel
Processors and motherboards Intel Is that Core 2 or i7 giving you a hard time? Enter this forum, this is all about Intel baby.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Worrying temperatures, help
Old
  (#1)
abdullah_mag
Member Guru
 
Videocard: gtx 675m
Processor: i7 3720qm
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR3 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: ..
Default Worrying temperatures, help - 08-06-2014, 22:14 | posts: 79 | Location: Cairo, Egypt

I have an alienware m17x r4 with an i7 3720QM 2.6ghz

I used to get a peak of 91 degrees celcius on my cpu even under load, and usually on just one core, but lately i've been getting temps up to 97, with the average core temperature fluctuating between 88 to 94 on most cores, which is abnormal.

should i be concerned or is this normal behavior considering TJmax is 105 (vents and fan are clean)??, maybe i should just repaste??


Last edited by abdullah_mag; 08-06-2014 at 22:51.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru
 
Agent-A01's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX Titan H20 1472/7600
Processor: i7 5820K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A
Memory: Crucial 4x4GB 2666
Soundcard: Xonar Phoebus-PC360/HD598
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000
Default 08-06-2014, 22:59 | posts: 6,950 | Location: USA

Laptops usually get really hot, so its normal for you to see those temps, if it were my laptop id replace thermal paste on it, usually nets 10-20c.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
abdullah_mag
Member Guru
 
Videocard: gtx 675m
Processor: i7 3720qm
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR3 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: ..
Default 08-06-2014, 23:02 | posts: 79 | Location: Cairo, Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-A01 View Post
Laptops usually get really hot, so its normal for you to see those temps, if it were my laptop id replace thermal paste on it, usually nets 10-20c.
i know laptop run hot, but when the TJ max is 105, a 5 degrees of average temperature increase under load become something worrisome.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Scerate
Maha Guru
 
Scerate's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780Ti 1200/7000 1.1v
Processor: i7 3770k 4.5Ghz 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 16GB Veng 1866 8-9-9-24
Soundcard: Soundblaster Zx
PSU: Corsair AX760i
Default 08-06-2014, 23:04 | posts: 987 | Location: Austria

yep like Agent suggested, just repaste the CPU and clean everything out there too like vent in/outtakes, but don't worry with my 4800MQ Oced to 3.8Ghz i get to about 95 C too with Linpack Stress testing even clean.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
abdullah_mag
Member Guru
 
Videocard: gtx 675m
Processor: i7 3720qm
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR3 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: ..
Default 08-06-2014, 23:06 | posts: 79 | Location: Cairo, Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scerate View Post
yep like Agent suggested, just repaste the CPU and clean everything out there too like vent in/outtakes, but don't worry with my 4800MQ Oced to 3.8Ghz i get to about 95 C too with Linpack Stress testing even clean.
that's nice n all, but i suspect my cpu may be throttling now, that's why i'm very suspicious about this new change in temps.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
Scerate
Maha Guru
 
Scerate's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780Ti 1200/7000 1.1v
Processor: i7 3770k 4.5Ghz 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 16GB Veng 1866 8-9-9-24
Soundcard: Soundblaster Zx
PSU: Corsair AX760i
Default 08-06-2014, 23:08 | posts: 987 | Location: Austria

did you checked already the heatsink itself?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
abdullah_mag
Member Guru
 
Videocard: gtx 675m
Processor: i7 3720qm
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR3 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: ..
Default 08-06-2014, 23:10 | posts: 79 | Location: Cairo, Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scerate View Post
did you checked already the heatsink itself?
yea, and cleaned it up, and the fan.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Scerate
Maha Guru
 
Scerate's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780Ti 1200/7000 1.1v
Processor: i7 3770k 4.5Ghz 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 16GB Veng 1866 8-9-9-24
Soundcard: Soundblaster Zx
PSU: Corsair AX760i
Default 08-06-2014, 23:12 | posts: 987 | Location: Austria

then i guess the thermal compound got bad, if you are already did that too, check what happens if you only use the battery what happens to temps
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru
 
Videocard: 7970CF @ 1100/1375 H2O
Processor: 5820K @ 4.3GHz 1.25V H2O
Mainboard: MSI X99S SLi Plus
Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133
Soundcard: Audio-GD NFB-11.32 +DT880
PSU: CM Silent Pro Hybrid 1300
Default 08-06-2014, 23:14 | posts: 3,380 | Location: Lebanon

If you have cleaned up the heatsink without replacing the thermal paste, then that's one reason the temperatures have risen.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
abdullah_mag
Member Guru
 
Videocard: gtx 675m
Processor: i7 3720qm
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR3 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: ..
Default 08-06-2014, 23:14 | posts: 79 | Location: Cairo, Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scerate View Post
then i guess the thermal compound got bad, if you are already did that too, check what happens if you only use the battery what happens to temps
well ima repaste tomorrow cuz i don't have the materials, but i pray that that'll fix everything.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
abdullah_mag
Member Guru
 
Videocard: gtx 675m
Processor: i7 3720qm
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR3 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: ..
Default 08-06-2014, 23:24 | posts: 79 | Location: Cairo, Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasamoka View Post
If you have cleaned up the heatsink without replacing the thermal paste, then that's one reason the temperatures have risen.
no no, i cleaned the part of the heatsink that the fan blows into, not detached the processor itself.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
abdullah_mag
Member Guru
 
Videocard: gtx 675m
Processor: i7 3720qm
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR3 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: ..
Default 08-07-2014, 00:15 | posts: 79 | Location: Cairo, Egypt

thanks for the replies everyone, i'll update this thread after i re-paste tomorrow.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
abdullah_mag
Member Guru
 
Videocard: gtx 675m
Processor: i7 3720qm
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR3 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: ..
Default 08-07-2014, 11:40 | posts: 79 | Location: Cairo, Egypt

UPDATE: So I just repasted the cpu and and gpu, as well as replace thermal pads where needed, and I maybe just reduced the temps by 1 or 2 degrees.

I guess that's my normal temps now, although it doesnt stay at 94+ all the time, it just peaks at that, but normally temps fluctuate between 81 and 92 with the occasional 94~96 (these temps are while in a stress test)
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru
 
Agent-A01's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX Titan H20 1472/7600
Processor: i7 5820K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A
Memory: Crucial 4x4GB 2666
Soundcard: Xonar Phoebus-PC360/HD598
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000
Default 08-07-2014, 21:51 | posts: 6,950 | Location: USA

What paste did you use
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
biggerx
Ancient Guru
 
biggerx's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 860m
Processor: i7-4710MQ @ 3.4GHz
Mainboard: Intel
Memory: 8GB Ballistix @ 1600MHz
Soundcard: Digidesign M-Box Pro/BX5s
PSU: Sager Laptop
Default 08-07-2014, 23:28 | posts: 3,537 | Location: Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdullah_mag View Post
UPDATE: So I just repasted the cpu and and gpu, as well as replace thermal pads where needed, and I maybe just reduced the temps by 1 or 2 degrees.

I guess that's my normal temps now, although it doesnt stay at 94+ all the time, it just peaks at that, but normally temps fluctuate between 81 and 92 with the occasional 94~96 (these temps are while in a stress test)
Also it's never gonna get that hot during normal use so I wouldn't worry about it if it tested stable at those temps. Should have got a Sager if you were worried about temps. Check out the cooling in my laptop. Thing stays pretty cool for a laptop.


Last edited by biggerx; 08-07-2014 at 23:31.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
abdullah_mag
Member Guru
 
Videocard: gtx 675m
Processor: i7 3720qm
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR3 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: ..
Default 08-07-2014, 23:50 | posts: 79 | Location: Cairo, Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-A01 View Post
What paste did you use
i didn't do the repasting, i gave it to dell service center and they reapplied the same paste that was used when the laptop was shipped.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
abdullah_mag
Member Guru
 
Videocard: gtx 675m
Processor: i7 3720qm
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR3 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: ..
Default 08-07-2014, 23:51 | posts: 79 | Location: Cairo, Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerx View Post
Also it's never gonna get that hot during normal use so I wouldn't worry about it if it tested stable at those temps. Should have got a Sager if you were worried about temps. Check out the cooling in my laptop. Thing stays pretty cool for a laptop.

i can't get sager here, shipping costs would be too high, and there'd be no where i could service it.

the reason i got alienware is because it was a gift, i didn't get to choose anything.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru
 
Agent-A01's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX Titan H20 1472/7600
Processor: i7 5820K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A
Memory: Crucial 4x4GB 2666
Soundcard: Xonar Phoebus-PC360/HD598
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000
Default 08-08-2014, 00:21 | posts: 6,950 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdullah_mag View Post
i didn't do the repasting, i gave it to dell service center and they reapplied the same paste that was used when the laptop was shipped.
Uh why? The use garbage paste, and always put a ton of it on there.

Do yourself a favor and get some of this http://www.amazon.com/Prolimatech-PK...olimatech+pk-3

you will surely see 10c drop.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
biggerx
Ancient Guru
 
biggerx's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 860m
Processor: i7-4710MQ @ 3.4GHz
Mainboard: Intel
Memory: 8GB Ballistix @ 1600MHz
Soundcard: Digidesign M-Box Pro/BX5s
PSU: Sager Laptop
Default 08-08-2014, 08:16 | posts: 3,537 | Location: Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-A01 View Post
Uh why? The use garbage paste, and always put a ton of it on there.

Do yourself a favor and get some of this http://www.amazon.com/Prolimatech-PK...olimatech+pk-3

you will surely see 10c drop.
Anything is better than the stock garbage. Silver, aluminum, diamond. I'm personally attached to Arctic Silver. I've used it in a bunch of builds including my current one. I just re-did the Arctic Silver on my old Core 2 Q9550 from 2007 and it probably didn't need new thermal paste. The paste was still fresh and semi liquid. My Sager laptop has IC Diamond thermal paste, but we'll see how long that lasts. I have some Arctic Silver ready to go for it.

Last edited by biggerx; 08-08-2014 at 08:18.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: 760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.8
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
Default 08-08-2014, 08:30 | posts: 7,606 | Location: Sunny Scotland

that lappy cooler does indeed look very nice.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru
 
Agent-A01's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX Titan H20 1472/7600
Processor: i7 5820K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A
Memory: Crucial 4x4GB 2666
Soundcard: Xonar Phoebus-PC360/HD598
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000
Default 08-08-2014, 08:37 | posts: 6,950 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerx View Post
Anything is better than the stock garbage. Silver, aluminum, diamond. I'm personally attached to Arctic Silver. I've used it in a bunch of builds including my current one. I just re-did the Arctic Silver on my old Core 2 Q9550 from 2007 and it probably didn't need new thermal paste. The paste was still fresh and semi liquid. My Sager laptop has IC Diamond thermal paste, but we'll see how long that lasts. I have some Arctic Silver ready to go for it.
AS5 was good 5-10 years ago, it has downsides like being conductive, there are many better pastes out now.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
biggerx
Ancient Guru
 
biggerx's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 860m
Processor: i7-4710MQ @ 3.4GHz
Mainboard: Intel
Memory: 8GB Ballistix @ 1600MHz
Soundcard: Digidesign M-Box Pro/BX5s
PSU: Sager Laptop
Default 08-08-2014, 09:03 | posts: 3,537 | Location: Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-A01 View Post
AS5 was good 5-10 years ago, it has downsides like being conductive, there are many better pastes out now.
Tuniq TX-2 is great too if you want something non conductive. Conductivity in thermal paste is only bad if you're messy. I've never had an issue with Arctic Silver because I only put it where it belongs, on the lid of the processor.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
Veteran
Ancient Guru
 
Veteran's Avatar
 
Videocard: 690@1372-Vmod on H20-24/7
Processor: 4930k@4.2ghz-1.05v-H20
Mainboard: R4BE@Monoblock-H20
Memory: 16Gb Mushkin Redline2133
Soundcard: SupremeFX-Sennheiser 350
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
Default 08-08-2014, 09:41 | posts: 10,934 | Location: United kingdom

Proligmatech or Indigo Extreme is the way to go in 2014. We are talking less than a degree difference even with the finest pastes.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
abdullah_mag
Member Guru
 
Videocard: gtx 675m
Processor: i7 3720qm
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR3 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: ..
Default 08-08-2014, 14:48 | posts: 79 | Location: Cairo, Egypt

i don't know what the thermal paste selection is like in here since i've never had to use them.
can you guys like give me a list of the good thermal pastes out there from best to least best?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru
 
CPC_RedDawn's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX970 (SLI soon...)
Processor: i7 4770K@4.5GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65
Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W
Default 08-08-2014, 15:08 | posts: 6,129 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdullah_mag View Post
i don't know what the thermal paste selection is like in here since i've never had to use them.
can you guys like give me a list of the good thermal pastes out there from best to least best?
Arctic Silver 5,
MX-4,
IC Diamond,
Prolimatech PK-3,
and the best of the best is Indigo Extreme

However, indigo extreme is a little risky to use, as you need to allow your CPU to reach its shutdown temperature for it to work. It basically melts the Indigo Extreme onto your CPU creating an almost perfect covering of the CPU and has the best thermal conductivity of any paste out there... oh and its not a paste either, and its also EXTREMELY expensive.

Back on topic,

OP have you maybe tried running a virus scanner. Maybe sounds like you have a bitcoin miner installed somewhere. Run Malewarebytes and see what it comes up with, worth a shot seen as no one else has mentioned it.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.