2014: Year of the "Remastered editions"

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Serotonin, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
    Last of Us: Remastered Edition
    Metro 2033: Redux
    Odd World: New and Tasty Edition
    Halo: Master Chief Collection
    GTA V: Bro's over hoes Edition
    Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition

Am I missing any?

I'm just wondering if dev's were caught off-guard by the migration rate the new consoles grabbed so quickly and are just spewing this stuff to keep some gamers occupied as they buy time to make proper efforts?

I will say, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, I am playing right now on Xbox One and Odd World New and Tasty on PS4 and both look great and feel like a true effort was put into them, avoiding just simply getting a higher resolution and a few sprinkled on higher textures.

And I'm curious to see what Metro and GTA have to offer, but I can't help but feel impatient for some original content on these new consoles.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I'm really tempted to get a xb1 just for the Halo collection. I played Halo 1. Never got to play the rest of them. I would really like to see more last gen games get remastered for both consoles.

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I believe Halo 2 is on PC and from everything I've read, is the best in the series.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm more than happy to double dip on remasters of classic games and all of those with the exception of Metro 2033 (which I felt was little more than a graphics demo searching for a game...Last Light was a massive improvement IMO) are great games.

I've been playing The Last of Us and Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty on my PS4 and both are superb games. The latter is obviously less of a remaster and more of an HD update, ditching the originals 2D for a pseudo 3D look that looks astounding. The gameplay has also aged extremely well. The Last of Us is only a year old so it isn't such a big improvement over the original except for its 60 FPS framerate. It's still a fantastic looking and enjoyable game though but its PS3 origins do show.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. There's a reboot of Ratchet & Clank coming to the PS4 next year, I believe, probably to coincide with the movie.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Since you have a PS4 then I have to ask why you didn't buy Tomb Raider for that rather than the XBO? The XBO version runs at 30 FPS (and sometimes below that) with a dynamic resolution that can drop to 900p. It even has screen tearing. The PS4 runs at up to 60 FPS with no tearing and is locked to 1080p. It's definitely the best console version IMO.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Check out the remastered cutscenes of Halo 2 that were just released. They look amazing. I will definitely be picking up a xb1 when this comes out.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Hmm, maybe GTA V doesn't count since it would have been planned from the start (presumably) to have a PC version, with the new consoles naturally following.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't mind at all, I've missed out on some good ps3 games in the last couple of years.

10. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    It is also the year of delays. A lot of the games that were expected this year have been delayed to early 2015. 2014 is a disappointing year for gaming honestly.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I seriously wish theyd release all of them for PC, blows my mind why they wont do it.

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I agree. And I wish we would have Gran Turismo for the pc. Its not the most realistic of course, but just imagine what PD could do with the game graphics wise with DX11. Only time Im a graphics whore is racing games.

I may get a PS4 to dabble in remastered games and reboots of games I grew up with. Really havent felt the need to have a console since 20009.

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I'm pretty sure Microsoft played the pirate card after halo 2. That's why we didn't get the rest of the series on PC. I found my copy of Halo 1 last night when I was going through some boxes in my closet. I was thinking about getting Halo 2, but then I decided not to. It too much of a tease when I have no way of playing the other 2 games + the one that's getting ready to come out. Every day I keep getting closer and closer to pre-ordering that Master Chief Edition and buying a XB1. Damn you Microsoft.

14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    MS shot themselves in the foot with the whole Halo 2 Vista bullcrap only stuff.

But I have never been a fan of Halo series tbh. Story is alright but never really cared the games themselves.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes, damn microshaft. If you ever decide to feed the devil, ill take a copy of it, and the xbone
    :infinity:

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I will not be buying a XB1 untill it's $250. Can not see spending the same amount of money on the inferior console as I did my PS4.

17. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Let me add to the list Crimsonland. Granted it is not a big title, but it is a great game and now it is on Steam and PS4 after 12 years. Now with HD graphics, controller support and a few new things and tweaks. If you are in the mood for a bloody twin stick shooter check out this little gem.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  19. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I knew it was inferior to the PS4 version but I was able to get a collectors edition on xb1 with an art book for half the price of the ps4 normal version @ a used movie/game store here locally and I couldn't resist. Honestly, it also gave me a reason to blow the dust off my xb1 as I've been playing my ps4 and wii u more than anything. Poor PC/xb1 have been getting neglected like nuts.

But I understand your curiosity lol. It was just too good of a deal and a great reason to fire up the xb1. I don't plan on touching anything else on the system until Sunset Overdrive.

I agree. I have been gaming since the late 80's and I cannot think of another year where there were so many delays. I do recall as a strictly pc-only gamer in 2003 that, that year was very dry in the way of gaming. I recall UT2K3 and the user mods along with the port of Halo and the leaked doom 3 beta being all that got me through....and then I was one of the few dummies that bought a 5800 Ultra from nvidia...yeah..2003 was worse for me personally. lol.

Agreed. I saw a friend play Halo 2 when it first came out on the original xbox and I remember seeing some rough framerates but thinking graphically it was quite impressive for a console. I then tried it and was quickly reminded why kb+m is the only way to play an fps.

This one takes the cake!! It's a re-make of the re-make on gamecube from 2002. They put more work and effort into the 2002 remake, as this one will just take that remake and put it in 720p (ps3/360) and 1080p (ps4/xb1). You're telling me this ancient thing couldn't hit 1080 on a ps3/360? C'mon....I smell marketing BS.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014