Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Moving to London...?
Old
  (#1)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru
 
BLEH!'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default Moving to London...? - 07-30-2014, 19:55 | posts: 4,900 | Location: London

Hey Gurus

This is mainly aimed at UK-based Gurus I guess... I'm nearing the end of my PhD, looking at starting the next stage of my life, and there's a possibility I may be moving to London (or Bath) for a postdoc job. Any tips on how to live there without bankrupting yourself?

Cheers

BLEH!
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
IcE
Ancient Guru
 
IcE's Avatar
 
Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K @4.0
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: SBZ + Aune T1 + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 07-30-2014, 20:05 | posts: 9,163 | Location: Toledo

Everything I've ever heard about this subject involves "don't" or "no".
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
AndreasGuido
Ancient Guru
 
AndreasGuido's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 970
Processor: Core i5 2500K 3.8GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Soc
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX
Soundcard: Integrated 5.1
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W
Default 07-30-2014, 20:26 | posts: 3,505 | Location: Bristol, UK

Move to Bath instead
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
antonyfrn
Maha Guru
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX 4Gb
Processor: AMD FX 8350 + H100i
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooh 990FX R2.0
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X & Z-5500
PSU: Corsair RM 850
Default 07-30-2014, 20:31 | posts: 962 | Location: London

Well I live central London and it costs a bomb full rent depends where you will be working if you can give an idea as by me we have loads of medical students who work at Guys and Saint Tomas hospitals what are near to me.

I do know my local doctors surgery has a lot of people who just finished studying there no idea how they can afford to live in the area im in most places now are selling for over 1,000,000 seen one bedrooms for that price just before I moved to Spain back in 2008 rent will be not pleasant if its private best bet would be to get a place from the local council if your lucky.

But personally if had a choice I would live near bath only issue for me would be I cant legally drive in the UK and do remember from times I used to stay down in Warminster with my ex at the time if it wasn't for her cousin we would have been stuck with her family all the time so driving is important down that end.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
Veteran
Ancient Guru
 
Veteran's Avatar
 
Videocard: 690@1372-Vmod on H20-24/7
Processor: 4930k@4.2ghz-1.05v-H20
Mainboard: R4BE@Monoblock-H20
Memory: 16Gb Mushkin Redline2133
Soundcard: SupremeFX-Sennheiser 350
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
Default 07-30-2014, 20:47 | posts: 10,547 | Location: United kingdom

Move to Oxford and commute into London. I went to Oxford for my Stag party, we all agreed that Oxford has more women in one place that outnumber men than anywhere else in the world.

No joke!

Good place to commute into London from.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
Labyrinth
Ancient Guru
 
Labyrinth's Avatar
 
Videocard: Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Processor: C2Q Q9450 @ 3.55Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5Q
Memory: Corsair8GB DDR2
Soundcard: XFI Xtreme Music
PSU: Corsair TX 750W
Default 07-30-2014, 20:50 | posts: 3,918 | Location: Cheshire, England

Yeah move to Bath, hell I'd live in Toxeth before London
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru
 
BLEH!'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 07-30-2014, 21:13 | posts: 4,900 | Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyfrn View Post
Well I live central London and it costs a bomb full rent depends where you will be working if you can give an idea as by me we have loads of medical students who work at Guys and Saint Tomas hospitals what are near to me.

I do know my local doctors surgery has a lot of people who just finished studying there no idea how they can afford to live in the area im in most places now are selling for over 1,000,000 seen one bedrooms for that price just before I moved to Spain back in 2008 rent will be not pleasant if its private best bet would be to get a place from the local council if your lucky.

But personally if had a choice I would live near bath only issue for me would be I cant legally drive in the UK and do remember from times I used to stay down in Warminster with my ex at the time if it wasn't for her cousin we would have been stuck with her family all the time so driving is important down that end.
The post is at UCL, I do drive and am willing to commute if in easier. I'd be looking at a house share if moving down anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
Move to Oxford and commute into London. I went to Oxford for my Stag party, we all agreed that Oxford has more women in one place that outnumber men than anywhere else in the world.

No joke!

Good place to commute into London from.
Bit far for commuting, really, and pricey. The rent in Oxford is astronomical, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
Yeah move to Bath, hell I'd live in Toxeth before London
The post in Bath is a separate thing. London pay is likely to be better and a longer contract.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Omagana
Maha Guru
 
Omagana's Avatar
 
Videocard: Evga GTX 780
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X 7.1
PSU: Corsair HX850W
Default 07-30-2014, 21:47 | posts: 2,392 | Location: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEH! View Post
Bit far for commuting, really, and pricey. The rent in Oxford is astronomical, too.
.
Not true actually, my brother did it for two years and he lived in Oxford for 5 years renting as a student. There is a direct coach between Oxford and London called the tube. Lots of people do it, just depends if you can live with the commute everyday. I've done it a few times myself, it doesn't take that long.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru
 
BLEH!'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 07-30-2014, 21:49 | posts: 4,900 | Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omagana View Post
Not true actually, my brother did it for two years and he lived in Oxford for 5 years renting as a student. There is a direct coach between Oxford and London called the tube. Lots of people do it, just depends if you can live with the commute everyday. I've done it a few times myself, it doesn't take that long.
I commuted 45 mins a day each way into Manchester for a while but that became unbearable after 2 years so I moved there.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
AndreasGuido
Ancient Guru
 
AndreasGuido's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 970
Processor: Core i5 2500K 3.8GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Soc
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX
Soundcard: Integrated 5.1
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W
Default 07-30-2014, 21:59 | posts: 3,505 | Location: Bristol, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEH! View Post
The post is at UCL, I do drive and am willing to commute if in easier. I'd be looking at a house share if moving down anyway.



Bit far for commuting, really, and pricey. The rent in Oxford is astronomical, too.



The post in Bath is a separate thing. London pay is likely to be better and a longer contract.
It might be higher pay but you have to remember that prices will be higher too. I was offered a job in London with better pay than Bristol, looked at rent prices and had to refuse that offer. What about MK? My friend lives there and most of his friends commute to London
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru
 
BLEH!'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 07-30-2014, 22:10 | posts: 4,900 | Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasGuido View Post
It might be higher pay but you have to remember that prices will be higher too. I was offered a job in London with better pay than Bristol, looked at rent prices and had to refuse that offer. What about MK? My friend lives there and most of his friends commute to London
That's another possibility, my potential supervisor lives there and commutes. The place is a 5 min walk from Euston
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
antonyfrn
Maha Guru
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX 4Gb
Processor: AMD FX 8350 + H100i
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooh 990FX R2.0
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X & Z-5500
PSU: Corsair RM 850
Default 07-31-2014, 06:40 | posts: 962 | Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEH! View Post
The post is at UCL, I do drive and am willing to commute if in easier. I'd be looking at a house share if moving down anyway.



Bit far for commuting, really, and pricey. The rent in Oxford is astronomical, too.



The post in Bath is a separate thing. London pay is likely to be better and a longer contract.
knowing that look around SE17 SE1 SE16 in London there is a lot of student housing by me there is a street of old Victorian house 4 & 6 bedrooms all divided up into one bed room apartments if I can ill try keep an eye out see if they got any rental sign up near there.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru
 
BLEH!'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 07-31-2014, 10:55 | posts: 4,900 | Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyfrn View Post
knowing that look around SE17 SE1 SE16 in London there is a lot of student housing by me there is a street of old Victorian house 4 & 6 bedrooms all divided up into one bed room apartments if I can ill try keep an eye out see if they got any rental sign up near there.
Cheers. I do still need to pass the interview first.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru
 
Extraordinary's Avatar
 
Videocard: XFX R9 295X2 8GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.9GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: 5.1 Surround
PSU: Corsair TX950
Default 07-31-2014, 10:58 | posts: 6,998 | Location: 127.0.0.1

If you're moving to London, my best tip-of-the-day is:

Win the lottery first

.
.
.
.
.
twice
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
Pzykotik
Maha Guru
 
Pzykotik's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780 "Ghz Edition"
Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.3Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Revolution 1250W
Default 07-31-2014, 11:45 | posts: 2,544 | Location: Bournemouth

London's fantastic. If you're moving there, consider Clapham. Rent isn't too bad, and it's full of nice bars (apparently).

Also, check out...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms...etwork-map.pdf

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/upl...dFares2012.pdf

Find your base station and work out from there for places to live. =)

I lived in Harrow for years, I've worked all over London and never had a problem. If 45 min each way is a problem for you though...
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru
 
Loobyluggs's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 670 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 07-31-2014, 13:16 | posts: 1,228 | Location: UK

Depends how fast you need your internet to be.

1GB sequential is available in *some* parts of London and Bristol through a company called Hyperoptic and is for apartments/tenancy.

You can (like me) move to the country and commute with the same access speed via Gigaclear.

All other parts of the UK are still using copper for the last mile, so you can't get much more than 150mb/s, nearly ten times slower.

In general terms, London is great to visit, but horrid to live in. Bristol is awesome and I miss it greatly. Bath was ten minutes down the road from Bristol and I found it frankly overpriced and extremely dull for what was and is there. No action.

Over London and Bath, I'd pick Bristol anyday of the week. I'm not sure if this will mean anything to you, but Bristol also has the largest cup size in the whole of the UK - hence the rhyming slang 'Bristol cities'.

It's also a party town. 24-7.

Oh, it also has some pretty excellent educational establishments right in the centre. And it's 2 hours on train to London. And it has an airport. And I'm sure there is another Guru on the forums who lives there, I'm sure he'll pimp onto the thread and tell you how awesome Bristol is.

Bristol.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
antonyfrn
Maha Guru
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX 4Gb
Processor: AMD FX 8350 + H100i
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooh 990FX R2.0
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X & Z-5500
PSU: Corsair RM 850
Default 07-31-2014, 14:22 | posts: 962 | Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
If you're moving to London, my best tip-of-the-day is:

Win the lottery first

.
.
.
.
.
twice
+1

oh and third time just as a backup.

Oh and if you need good internet SE17 is mostly fibre loads of BT FTTC boxes around every corner I get 80Mbps easy.

Last edited by antonyfrn; 07-31-2014 at 14:24.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
allesclar
Ancient Guru
 
allesclar's Avatar
 
Videocard: Asus 1950XTX
Processor: Intel Quad Q6600
Mainboard: Asus P5N32-E SLI 680i
Memory: Corsair 8GB PC2-6400 XMS2
Soundcard: SB Audigy 2
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W
Default 08-01-2014, 12:44 | posts: 5,117 | Location: England

As someone who daily commutes 4 hours in total to london to enjoy the affordability of housing outside of london but the wage to suit the job i would highly suggest you live in the outskirts of london.

Maybe not as extreme as me but areas such as Kent etc are only 30-40 mins on the train and the savings in housing are huge even when taking into account the cost of commuting.

House prices in central london are so only the very rich and those on the council housing schemes can get them.

To put it in perspective,

My house, 4 bed detached with conservatory, garage and good size garden 185,000
Season ticket is 6100 a year.

My old boss recently bought a 1 bedroom flat in camden for 320,000. Go figure!! lol

Houses in Kent can range around 180,000 mark for 2 bedroom terraced etc which are alot more affordable with commuting costs around 1500 p.a mark.

Last edited by allesclar; 08-01-2014 at 13:28.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru
 
BLEH!'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 08-04-2014, 20:20 | posts: 4,900 | Location: London

Got the job, now to plan the move...
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
eclap
Ancient Guru
 
eclap's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI Gaming 970 1450/7800
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1. AD700. DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 08-04-2014, 20:28 | posts: 26,663 | Location: Hampshire, UK

Gratz!

Living in London sucks btw, unless your filthy rich. It's annoyingly busy. Stress, smelly people on the tube. Good luck.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru
 
BLEH!'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 08-04-2014, 20:49 | posts: 4,900 | Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclap View Post
Gratz!

Living in London sucks btw, unless your filthy rich. It's annoyingly busy. Stress, smelly people on the tube. Good luck.
Cheers. Could do with finding a house-share or something, live with some like-minded people.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
Pzykotik
Maha Guru
 
Pzykotik's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780 "Ghz Edition"
Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.3Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Revolution 1250W
Default 08-05-2014, 08:10 | posts: 2,544 | Location: Bournemouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEH! View Post
Got the job, now to plan the move...
Congrats! Like everybody is saying though, think seriously about living out and commuting in... Bristol is a good choice, so is pretty much any town with a university
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru
 
BLEH!'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 08-06-2014, 11:07 | posts: 4,900 | Location: London

Anyone familiar with Edgware area of London?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
eclap
Ancient Guru
 
eclap's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI Gaming 970 1450/7800
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1. AD700. DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 08-06-2014, 11:22 | posts: 26,663 | Location: Hampshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEH! View Post
Anyone familiar with Edgware area of London?
yep. It's grim.

About commuting. There's a lot of places west side of London that are busy commuting hubs. Reading, Fleet etc. You would find that commuting to London would set you back around 4.5k a year. It would be my preference though, because I've experienced living in London.

House share is good, if you find nice, like minded people to live with. It could also be hell. I bet you know that, though.

Last edited by eclap; 08-06-2014 at 11:25.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru
 
BLEH!'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 08-06-2014, 11:58 | posts: 4,900 | Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclap View Post
yep. It's grim.

About commuting. There's a lot of places west side of London that are busy commuting hubs. Reading, Fleet etc. You would find that commuting to London would set you back around 4.5k a year. It would be my preference though, because I've experienced living in London.

House share is good, if you find nice, like minded people to live with. It could also be hell. I bet you know that, though.
What's so bad about it, looks alright? And this is Edgware north London, not Edgware road.

I've had good and bad house shares, I'll be selective when moving.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.