Any hint or idea when new drivers will be out ? need help.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by chispy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ok guys go easy on me :) , I have not posted on this section in many years because I was not having driver problems. Let me get straight to the point , I'm doing a new Gaming Rig /Mod built , I am only using 2 290X on this built. Here comes the but ....

Every single driver other than 13.12 whql has been very problematic for me while using 2 , 3 or 4 AMD-R9-290X video cards.

14.4 whql has many bugs , always the second card gets stuck at 100% utilization , even when I disable ULPS , games frezze at exit and only a black screen will show also I have to do a hard reset with the power button :( , my eyefinity set up of 3x 1080P at 5760x1080 resolution does not work at all on this driver set.

14.6 and 14.7 I have been having too many stability issues and BSOD , in both sometimes I cannot boot into windows and only get a black screen , poor Crossfire scaling , many bugs also like 14.4whql :(

Please don't judge me or get me wrong. I'm an old cat using crossfireX and overclocking and I almost know all the tricks available to get it going. So , is a no go for me using drivers 14.4 -14.6 or 14.7 :/ , in order to have peace of mind I ended up doing a fresh Windows 7 x64bit installation fully updated. Solved installing the very old drivers 13.12 whql and all the problems are gone and no more bsod , black screens , grey screens lines , errors , bugs in game and my eyefinity set up 5760x1080P works flawlessly , also Crossfire works 99% of the time and get great scaling.

What has happened in the last year at AMD that we are at this state of decay driver wise ? Me been an old cat in the enthusiast community and overclocking wise I'm baffle , stunned and have no words to describe the bad feelings about this driver problems. I am forced to use a 9 month old driver 13.12 to enjoy it my new rig with peace of mind , this is unacceptable in my opinion. And I know there some great guys here that do not have the same problems that I do and this new drivers work flawlessly for them , i do not know what to think anymore. Maybe it's got to do with mantle or true-audio ,or perhaps they are trying to cramp as many things as they can in this new drivers and hence something is broken. Might be my hardware and software set up ( see specs in my signature ), at this point I do not have a clue , but I know for sure I will stay with with driver 13.12 installed until AMD gets everything fixed.
    **Rant Mode Off :D **

Guys any news on tweeter , hints or leaks about a new driver release soon ? I would really like to update my drivers to a more recent drivers , 13.12 are pretty old now. Thank you in advanced for any help or information on this matter. I do love my AMD R9-290X VGAs , but I would like to see better driver support from AMD.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    next month.

3. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    I Can't give you any info on new drivers but i'll back up everything you said about drivers post cat 13.12...Total train wreck :puke2:

No doubt you'll have a few users posting very shortly saying that they have zero issues with any 14.xx drivers and that all the BSOD,blackscreen startup/sleep/wake,DX9 poly/texture corruption/stuttering,extra heat in 2d/idle,lower 3d OC's ect ect ect that are all part of the 14.xx sets are just problems with your rig and that you should get and new PSU/update flash/check your mem timings/higher/lower your OC ect ect ect blah blah blah.

Me,myself & I will be voting with my wallet and moving back to Nv in the fall/next gen (no doubt the above users will also tell me that Nv have just as bad a drivers) 13.12 will last me while i clear my backlog & any game that don't like 13.12 will get put a side till im back on green.

ATI(AMD)same as it ever was....

4. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Hola Chispy,

Every time you install a driver, disable crossfire, reboot, enable crossfire, reboot, enjoy.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    used all 14.x drivers and currently on latest 14.7 driver, no issues at all.

New driver should be out soon, I bet this 14.7 RC driver we got that still shows up as 14.6 will get the WHQL stamp on it.

Then a few days later we will get 14.8 RC or Beta.

6. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Most of AMDs driver issues seem to stem from crossfire. You would think after this long of supporting multiple video cards they would have the kinks worked out.

That said, my single R9 270X runs just fine on 14.4.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can understand many may have issues with crossfire.
    And that you may get bit higher temperatures from driver or higher ambient temperature since it may be summer at your location.

But since you have no cfx I really see no reason for big issues. And if thousands of users can't replicate "your symptoms of dieing hardware" then it is PICNIC or defective HW.

Don't worry, Go To nVidia drivers section and general. There you can read advices on how people solve similar issues.
    Usually those proficient will tell you which driver is best (does not cause issues) for which game.

By being on nV side you definitely get into less driver related PICNIC situations as their driver install process is bit more forgiving.

8. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

You clearly have an unmovable opinion, and a game-plan set in-stone and ready to go, and arguing against it/you would be a waste of time. Good luck in your endeavors :)

But as for anyone else without such a hard-rooted stance, just because one guy reports problems, doesn't mean you'll get them. I can confirm I've had none of those issues (aside from BSoD from media playback in Chrome with one of the early 14.* betas, and the screen wake bug that's been happening back since 13.* for me).

My computer usage and hardware could vary heavily to the next guy's though, but if I follow how drivers perform from most people here, basically Mantle is broken beyond belief and useless, Eyefinity is broken in 14.6, flash and HTML5 playback results in instant BSoD, and all DX9 games are nothing but a snowfall of artifacts (I can personally confirm all of that is untrue in my experience).

As for the Crossfire issues, have you tried a motherboard and/or VBIOS update? Another thing to try might be to drop from Gen3 to Gen2 (if you aren't already using Gen2) on PCI-E (shouldn't notice a difference performance-wise, unless you do something to somehow strain Gen2 speeds).

Could also try just cleaning the GPU PCI-E contacts and re-seating them into the slot.

And as for a random suggestion, could also try out Linux; but that would only really be festiable if you plan on playing DX9/OGL/Native games (nothing like BF4). The outstanding screen wake issue I had is nonexistent over on Linux, so basically the platform could fix (or create) more issues. And, you have access to two different drivers (AMD's proprietary driver, or regularly-updated open-source drivers). I use open-source drivers, and I like not having to wait for AMD to release a new driver package (get updates daily).

And to toss in a suggestion on-top of Linux, could ditch Crossfire, setup a VM of Windows in KVM, pass the 2nd GPU over to Windows, and run games at near-native performance, with still likely less issues (the screen wake bug I keep mentioning I highly doubt would appear in such an environment). Wanted to do this myself, but the 4670K I have lacks VT-d sadly (silly Intel). Your 4690K has such a feature however.

And another suggestion, could try upgrading to Windows 8.1. Appearances aside, there are some nice under-the-hood fixes/tweaks that are pretty useful, and may even fix certain instabilities (can't personally confirm though).

9. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Guys Id really love to know why every driver post 13.12 on my system is toast in one way or another....ive tried every permutation i can think of,be it OS,OC,mem timings (even a new PSU) ect ect ect and every set of 14.x drivers has at least one issue that forces me back time & time again to 13.12 (which again work perfectly fine)

Im no nubbie ive been building gaming systems since 386/486 and have owned hardware from every major (and minor) cpu & gpu manufacturer in the past 20 odd years,but every time i get a ATI gpu (8500 was my first ati gaming card post voodoo5)the hardware is let down by the drivers/support and over all Q&A its something they've never been able to shake even post AMD buy out...i keep coming back hopping its changed but nope,same as it ever was

I also maintain a system for my younger sister with all my last gen hardware (i5/570gtx ect ect) and i/she have had zero issues with Nv's drivers or game support so its hard not to think about jumping ship back to Nv when month after month AMD cant be bothered to even fix glaring errors (black screen wake bug 8+ months old now) and push out beta's with next to no game fixes or improvements.

Do none of you agree with the OP that there's been a "state of decay" in AMD's driver support over the past 9 months?

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey Chispy do the BSOD/GSOD's occur only while switching 2D/3D clocks or does it happen in-game too?

Are the MCE errors usually TDR and/or 0xA?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

11. angmar

angmar Guest

I have had quite a few issues myself since switching from NVIDIA to AMD......clock speeds getting stuck at max when idle forcing me to reboot or let my card idle at 100 watts.....low fps in games when running video on second monitor. Plenty of other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head and now most recently Firefall will not run on my 290x and keeps defaulting to my intel gpu so I can't play it at all which is rather annoying as I wanted to try it out.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you guys so much for trying to help , I really appreciate it :thumbup:. I'm 100% sure is my eyefinity set up plus Crossfire. Somehow AMD managed to brake it after 13.12whql. I did so much testing yesterday it is unbelievable the hours I put into debugging , that is the only conclusion I can come up with :/. Crossfire with 2 , 3 or 4 VGAs have become unstable - unusable on eyefinity. In a single monitor and a single video card it runs fine on the 14.xx drivers , I did tried last night during my testing. Somehow with only a bug or two on those 14.xx drivers , but at least it ran fine most of the time.

I have reported this issue to AMD driver team , so I will wait a little bit longer and see if they are able to fix all this gazillion bugs on eyefinity and crossfire. Like I said it runs perfectly using 13.12whql 9 month old driver , only started to happen after this new 14.xx drivers. It's not that big of deal really :look: , more of a frustration than nothing else because I would like to have newer , up to date drivers. Again Thank You Guys ! Let's wait and see what AMD do for us eyefinity / crossfire users.

Kind Regards: Angelo

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  13. axium

axium Member

GPU:
    4 x GTX 980
    I can confirm that every driver post 13.12 whql with more than 2 cards in crossfire with eyefinity is an absolute disaster. They changed something and they refuse to fix it.

I've been in communication with amd for the last four months. They are saying that there "may" be a fix by the end of the year, because they essentially have to rewrite the driver from scratch to make it communicate properly with more than 2 cards.

Although our issues aren't exactly similar, because I'm using 295x2 in crossfire and you have the 290x. I actually came from a quadfire 290 set up. There's a common denominator, two plus gpus and eyefinity.

Here's a thread about my issue - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389523

I'm absolutely disgusted at the way amd is handling this. I'm composing an email to Rory Read and will also vote with my wallet next round.

14. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Depends on what driver you're talking about. The Windows driver is ok. The Linux proprietary driver got improved quite a bit in that timeframe. The open-source radeon driver and kernel components on Linux has also gotten a ton of help from both AMD and other developers in that timeframe.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014