Getting Hitched...Advice?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by biggi_, Jul 29, 2014.

1. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    So I'm getting married Saturday to venture into the wonderful land of...well...I don't know seeing as I've never been married before. Anyone have some good *CLEAN* wisdom for a newly married geek?

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Don't f*ck up?
    Seriously, congrats, but with such advices it's like with fortune cookies messeges, they're easily getting generic.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    RUN!

j/k...congrats. and remember, happy wife, happy life

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well,congratulations !
    Advices - this is easy.
    Advices that will work for you both - that remains to be seen.
    For a newly wed geek, general advice is to "park" the geek part somewhere,offer the natural,human, romantic part of you.Brides will remember pretty well all details,looks,kisses and whatnot rather than something geeky.
    Later ,one can pull out the geek part again, and have fun again.
    Remember tough,that even the perfect couples fight.It is natural,by the time passes each one will mark the boundaries and unspoken rules will be set.
    A old advice -A man once married can be happy or be right every time(but each time will get him closer to divorce).

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Congrats OP.

There's no amount of upvotes, brofists, high fives or thumbs up that I could give to say how true that is lol.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Yeah keep her happy or you will be miserable. Cannot stress that enough.

7. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Embrace it, and commit to it, or run like hell....those are your choices. If your not totally sure don't do it.

8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Indeeeed.

Things will always be great when your wife is happy and in a good mood.

One word of wisdom though that I can give (after being with my lady for over 10 years now, 4 years married)..

.. when she is moody, unhappy, not doing so well, and wants to lump it on you for whatever reason, don't be fooled.

if you've done something wrong, fine.. but if you are in the right, and she's giving your grief, know when to stand up for yourself and let your wife know the boundries. If she's acting like a child, tell her she's acting like a child. Call her on her bull$hit.. Trust me.

I'll say it again. STAND UP for yourself.. otherwise, women can and WILL take advantage of you being the husband. Not all women may do this, but many will.

Oh and one more thing.. treat her like a queen.. don't let the romance slip.. it is in your best interest to do this.

Just my experience having been in a long term relationship. good luck OP!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Sell the PC, unless your wife to be is okay with it. Get a Tablet, women seem to be okay with this for some reason???

Your main focus is her now, PC second...or maybe even further down the list?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  10. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    Yea I don't think I will be selling my PC, but I think she's alright with it (even though she's too scared to even turn it on with my surround setup). But these have all been good. I think every guy in the world's advice is just "run" but I don't know, I feel differently about it. I guess call me a romantic geek...wait...is that even a thing?

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    If you're asking for advice on women/marriage on a tech forum...
    One clue you're in trouble? You 'think' you know she's alright with something she's too scared to even turn on. This is just my opinion, but perhaps you should get to know each other better prior to committing to each other FOR LIFE. :infinity:

12. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Prenuptial Agreement.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Spend as much time with her as possible. Treat her like she top priority.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    OP, a bit of advice.... Communication, Honesty, Understanding, Compromise..... Those are the keys to a healthy, happy marriage.... Not necessarily a successful one. Unfortunately, nobody can tell you how to have a successful marriage as not everyone should be married. Some people just aren't compatible....

There's nothing wrong with asking for advice on a tech forum. We've had several advice threads over the last couple years and for the most people, people have given pretty good advice.

1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% accurate.

15. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Oh and assets? Hide those :p

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Actually, I disagree. If you're planning on making a lifetime commitment to someone and you're still asking such basic relationship questions on a tech forum of all places, a few days prior to your wedding, one might reasonably believe you're not quite ready. Just my opinion of course. If you don't already know about "Communication, Honesty, Understanding, Compromise etc etc..."

17. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    Haha no worries, we've been together for 4 years now and we know each other very well. This was more of a "oh boy here we go" type thing full of excitement as well as a bit of worry going into the unknown. As for the computer thing, she is fine with me having it, but she doesn't want to use it. She's plenty happy with her laptop and my Asus tablet :)

18. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    As a happily married family man I offer this simple advice.

Marriage requires work. Day in day out make sure you take time to make your wife feel special. How you do that will depend on your wife but make sure you do.

19. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I agree with hallryu.

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Open continual communication is of the upmost importance. Without it, you are already sunk. Do not think you can or should change anything about the person you are marrying; either you love her for who and what she is or you do not. It's that black and white. All this put your wife first, it's all about her now, happy wife / happy life is all bull. If you truly love her than all that will come without thought; she will automatically be placed at the forefront. Love her as you love yourself or think of her as you would think of yourself and everything else just falls into place.