GTX460 CPU Bottleneck

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cchelios, Jul 28, 2014.

1. cchelios

cchelios Guest

GPU:
    HD7950 Boost
    Hello All,
    I am wondering if my current CPU (G1830) would bottleneck my GPU (GTX460 1GB GDDR5) at mostly 1650x1050 gaming. I hope to buy a 1080 monitor soon but am wondering if I should also save up for a i3-4150. Thoughts?

Please don't laugh at my current setup as it was built as ultra budget recently.
    G1830 - Combo $66
    MSI H81M-P33 - Included with CPU
    4 Gig DDR3 1600 - $32
    GTX460 1GB GDDR5 - $69 refurb
    Seagate 120GB SSD - 70$
    500W PSU - $20

2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Only jerks will laugh. I have been there many times before. Im dead lucky to have the rig I have.

Honestly mate get a better cpu first before monitor.
    The G1830 will be a bottleneck in some games yes.
    Celeron cpus have never been good for gaming.
    If you can slap even a hyper evo 12 cooler on it and oc it enough, that will help.
    You really need a decent I3 if your gonna be on a budget cpu.

3. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Don't buy a new monitor yet if you'll stick with that 460 for now, just get a better CPU.

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    There is nothing wrong with your rig. I have seen a YT video on how to build a budget build of a $100 bucks.

I would save up the cash for the I3 which will be a huge boost for ya.

5. cchelios

cchelios Guest

GPU:
    HD7950 Boost
    Awesome guys! Thanks for the replies/suggestions. Saving up for a CPU now. :banana:

6. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    Honestly, I know the feels of a budget PC. I also know the feels of getting an upgrade and then wanting to upgrade again in less than 3 months. If I were you (and I know you're not so take this with a grain of salt) I would try to save the extra $60 and get the i5 instead of the i3. It will give you much better performance as well as 'future proof' you a bit more. I know a lot of people put i5's instead of i7's in their rig to prevent microstuttering because of hyper threading. Like I said that's just my two cents. :)

7. cchelios

cchelios Guest

GPU:
    HD7950 Boost
    I was planning on getting an i3-4150 from Microcenter that is 100 bucks but I could save a little more for the i5-4590S that is 170.

Its not just the dollars and cents of it all. I just don't use my desktop for a ton of stuff anymore. Gone are the days when I had lots of friends building awesome gaming rigs. I would buy awesome hardware to compete with them.

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yep that i5-4590S would be a massive step up for you.

Here is a comparison of your CPU G1830 and the i5-4590S

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/367/Intel_Celeron_Dual-Core_G1830_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-4590S.html

Just remember get an aftermarket cooler for it, the stock Intel ones are crap if you get an OEM version you wont get a heatsink and the one you have already on the G1830 won't be good enough for the 4590S.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    What PSU is that exactly? I wouldn't put much faith in a $20 PSU, I'd strongly suggest you consider getting something a little healthier for your system. If a compromise has to be made, get the I3 and a better PSU over the I5 by itself tbh.

10. cchelios

cchelios Guest

GPU:
    HD7950 Boost
    I just put 20$ on there cause it was from an old build like 8 years ago. I know its an Antec power supply. I dont know much about power supplies but it everything comes on and appears to be working I dont really mess with it.

I figure CPUs today requires less power than older ones. This power supply was used on a E8500 C2D oc'd to 4.1gz, 4GB DDR2-800, overclocked 8800GT, and 4 hard drives.

Again, my thoughts and ideas of power could be totally wrong,(they probably are)if they are please let me know.

Thank you

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The Crank series is excellent, by the way. I caught your name's reference :)

12. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Consider this ^ because of:

I wouldn't put much faith in it either... then again, it could easily last another 2-3 years. You're in the "taking a chance" territory.

13. cchelios

cchelios Guest

GPU:
    HD7950 Boost
    What if I just bought an i5, installed it, and waited til the power supply didn't work anymore. I like to think power supplies are pretty binary when it comes to powering on or not. Would this damage any of my components? Is there any reason to go out and get a new power supply other than my power supply is older?
    Thanks in advanced.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I think that you should be fine since you only swapped out the CPU. But if you were to upgrade your graphics card then I would upgrade the PSU along with it. I think you should be fine until then. But if your computer starts acting weird like turning off or restarting at random times then I would replace the Power Supply ASAP.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  15. cchelios

cchelios Guest

GPU:
    HD7950 Boost
    Just as an update I purchased an EVGA 500Watt PSU and today jumped on Frys G3258 for 47 dollars. Gonna do a 4.5Ghz OC and hope that I am happy.

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I think you'll be more than happy, actually. Enjoy.