Should I upgrade from a recon3d to a Zxr?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by goat1, Jul 27, 2014.

1. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Would that be a big jump? Mainly for games.

2. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Really? 56 views and no responses?

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Waiting 2 hours, what did you expect, it will come from people browsing the recent posts and not knowing about this or search engine crawlers.

Generally expect 1 post to 100 views.

4. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Ok. You responded, no opinion?

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Nope, I was browsing the recent post list and saw you complaining.

I'm half deaf so I don't pay attention to audio cards.

6. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    That sucks, sorry to hear that :(

7. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I had a recon3d for two days and hated it, sold it and got a Zx to my ears it was the difference between night and day especially in games.

8. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    From what I been seing the new Asus Essence II is somewhat better than the SBZ ZXR :)

9. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I think I'll go buy it right now and compare the 2. Recon 3d and zxr. The stx 2 isnt out and way too expensive.

10. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I picked up the Zxr today. Honestly, its not worth the upgrade. The Zxr sounds a little better with music but with games, I can't tell the difference. I doubt I'll keep it.

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The main thing the ZXR has over the Recon3D is the stronger headphone amp which would only benefit you if you had headphones that req far more power then what the Recon3D can give, and the Z/ZX uses the same maximum headphone amp chip that the recon3D uses, just a different sound signature. Then the ZXR option to change the sound signature for swapping the op-amp's which you can't do on the Recon3D.

Also your titanium HD also have the same op-amp rolling options which give you the option to improve the titanium HD sound signature by changing out the jrc's that are in the I/V's into a pair of LME49720NA,LT1364 or OPA2107 just to name a few. The I/V is what used when the headphone output of the titanium HD where both I/V and buffer op-amp is used when the RCA out is used.

I hope you wasn't running optical into the Z-5500 from your ZXR instead of using analog out, as when your using optical the features of the ZXR's are passed to the Z-5500 which makes it all pointless, As the ZXR will just be acting like a Digital transport device if the optical was used. Also the gear that is used will effect the final result of the source as well, different gear will have different results then each other on even on the same source, So results will vary between people.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  12. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Thanks for the reply Claymore. I sold the Titanium HD a long time ago. The DT770's are driven just fine by the recon. I was actually using the optical out on the recon so I could switch between the z5500's, 770's and Roccat Kaves. Worked great, I could have all 3 hooked up all at once. I understand about the optical tho. I'm not going to swap out op amps either. Personally, I just dont hear enough of a difference to justify spending $200.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're not going to hear a difference using optical out.

14. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I know dark,I was talking about headphones. I'll test some more stuff with the ZXR,then put the recon back in and see,but I doubt its a $200 upgrade..

PS.. I like how the recon's jacks are color coded,the Z's aren't.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  15. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    What's the deal with the Asus Phoebus? Is it garbage?

16. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Nonexistant support and pretty much nonexistant driver updates. Yes, MUCH worse than Creative (yes that's possible).

17. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Its funny how people bag on Creative. I've never owned an Asus card. I've had about 5 or more Creative cards,all my friends had them and none of us have ever had a problem. In fact,I've never had one fail. I had a razer barracuda,which I still own and never had a problem with that one either.

18. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i'll post my own review tomorrow about the STXII which i used to replace my SBZ. luckily in my country it's expensive as much as outside, cause usually some hardware here cost 3 times more... yes STXII is expensive but it's LIGHT YEARS better than SBZ on my Z906.

People told me the difference would be small cause my system is high end pc speakers, which means low end home theater, however difference is big and easy to notice...

I'll say to u if u can try the STXII before buying, would be good.

19. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Light years? I doubt it,but I'm eager to read your review. There is only so much you can do with a sound card. This is just a shot in the dark,but I'm guessing your not much of a sound blaster guy. I bet your card before the ZXR was the STX..

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    My first sound card was Audigy SE back in 2008, then D1 in 2010, 2013 the Phoebus, 2014 SBZ and now STXII. out of all those the phoebus and audigy se were the worst, phoebus specially. it sounds ok but it got bad software tied to good hardware.

What i meant by light years is a lot, yes there is always a botteleneck, the the STXII is super amazing.