Random hiccuping issue on CoD4 with new card

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by king-dubs, Jul 26, 2014.

1. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Can't tell if it's a card or driver issue. Started happening after switching from an AMD 7950 to the GTX 780 Ti. Using 340.43 drivers off of NVIDIA's web site. Even tried Driver Fusion to wipe off all remnants of AMD drivers, reinstall of NVIDIA drivers, reinstall of CoD4 and re-patch to 1.7.

Basically, every so often the game will pause and unpause, usually during very inconvenient moments during gameplay. Does not occur on Battlefield 4, CS:GO, Titanfall, or even COD: Black Ops II.

Video of what I'm talking about:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwMfCsXwjEEeTjFUbDAxVkl1bjg

They usually don't happen that frequently, just got "lucky" when filming that video. But it's infuriating when they interfere with the gameplay.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    idk if its the exact same issue but try this

Ingame set multigpu support - enabled, even though you dont have SLI, now it should run smooth.

3. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I have that enabled. And this hiccuping is not consistent; sometimes I can play for 30+ min straight and not a single one, and other times, like the video.

All settings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    In cod4 ncpl profile did you try 2 frames to render ahead, prefer max perf. and threaded optimization - off?

Also did you try to remove and let it rebuild new cfg after you changed gpu? And did you try set_maxfps limit to 125fps?

EDIT: watched your video dunno try 125fps cap if its better.. and packetdup? to 2 and packet update rate to 90 or 100.

5. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    cl_packetdup set to 2, cl_maxpackets set to 100, com_maxfps set to 125

Made these changes in NV Cpanel:
    [​IMG]

Still occurred several times ;(

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    There is another possibility

780Ti puts more stress now on your CPU build-in pcie & system memory controller then your old 7950.

That said cpu system agent voltage (VCCSA) can help here, if you have it at default atm raise it for 0.020v+ offset to see if it fixes it.

Also maybe you need just a tiny little bit more cpuv voltage, idk if you're ok @ 1.44v, try 1.444v,. But test cpu system agent voltage tweak first :nerd:

I noticed I use to get slight pauses only when someone called airstrike or Helli support, mostly random and yeah happened mostly when I tested cpu OC and used to low voltages.

Edit:
    If you're sure its not voltage, then maybe punkbuster issue? Does it happen on all servers?

And does it happen with 337.xx drivers too, or ie 340.52quadro?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  7. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Tried raising VCCSA; the hiccup still occurred.

Tried a different server, did not reproduce the issue (but it had only 10 people on it total). Then tried another 25+ people server, and the issue reappeared there. I noticed that it occurs more frequently after respawn and even more frequently if there's a chopper up. All of these servers had PB turned off for some reason.

340.43 is the first and only NVIDIA driver I've ever installed in 5+ years. Last NVIDIA card I had was a 7900 GTX.

#EDIT: Tried a modded 340.52-quadro release. Same thing on that server. Could be server specific, or game bug, or some sort of conflict between the game and the drivers.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Raising the system agent does nothing for sandy bridge cpus. I dont think its a cpu voltage problem either. I ran sli 580 sli 680 and sli 780ti eith the same exact settings. I suggest trying different drivers. Nvidias driver team aint what they used to be. Anything from the first performance driver on may help.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

So its this when someone calls air support.. Did you try different audio drivers and or lower audio sampling rate?

idk if you use 24/96, try 24/48, or 16/44.1

Does it happen on uber fast 40player DM too, I think its some cracked server -ARES FFA CAOS

10. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Did not happen on that FFA CHAOS server with constant airstrikes and helicopters going... I suppose this is good news? :D

And I already had the SoundBlaster set to 24-bit/48 Hz in Control Panel

#EDIT:
    Switched over to the original =AG=Crossfire server (~26 players total), and it started happening almost immediately.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    yeah that's a good sign, well it cold be bugged PB issue by those servers that lag like that.

Have you reinstalled PB (pbsvc.exe) or maybe excluded PB completely from your virus scanner/firewall?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    hey, re

I got this today even on that Chaos crk server, as soon as I got 3kill strike, it appears to LAN settings depended too.

I tweaked them a bit and got rid off it again.
    - disabled any power saving
    - enabled adaptive inter-frame spacing (appears to intel nic specific)
    - flow control off

and software tweak with win8 manager (lan part)
    disabled black hole detect, disabled path mtu discovery, also enabled sackopts