Snowden: Dropbox is hostile to privacy

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Veeshush, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    http://www.drop-dropbox.com/

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/17/edward-snowden-dropbox-privacy-spideroak

Oh what the ****. I figured Dropbox was alright considering the EFF has been rating them high for years: https://www.eff.org/who-has-your-back-2014

I guess it's time to switch to https://spideroak.com/

2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Why not copy.com? :D

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Google Drive will keep your secrets safe. And prob back them up too, so they can never be lost....just part of the Google "service".:D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    No surprise there.
    One more good reason for polishing up your letter-writing abilities, and buying a book of stamps.
    Postmen do empty letterboxes at least once a day, even in these highly-technical days. :)

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    not good

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wonder how many users know that Dropbox scans for uploaded DRM content....

7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If you want to store some data in a private manner, you can create a BitLocker/TrueCrypt volume file in DropBox/other synchronized folder, put data there. There are only a few issues with that:
    1. The initial sync time of a new device takes time as whole volume needs to be copied
    2. The sync service needs to support differential sync, so only a part of file is uploaded if only a part of file changes. DropBox and Copy support such feature, while OneDrive and Google Drive not. I haven't tried the rest, but it appears that SpiderOak doesn't support it either. Also, it works surprisingly well with BitTorrent sync.
    3. You need to remember to dismount the volume to get it synchronized.

I've been using DropBox free service, as it's pretty reliable and I don't think I'd quit it anytime soon. But I don't upload my secret data without containing it in an encrypted volume.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I use Google Drive and my wife uses OneDrive. Don't really care if Google or Microsoft wants to sift through my files. They can just as easily find them on Facebook and various other sites. I'm not storing anything illegal in either. All the files either belong to be explicitly, are open source or freeware.

9. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    Who in his right mind ever use google-facebook or all those other media or clouds is beyond me?

I starting to think that majority don't even know what privacy is anymore?.. or even realise what google-facebook and all those doing with your info are many of you so blind and ignorant?

I give it 10 years and all your lifes are owned by google(facebook prolly also(not goverment or nsa or cia whatever) and they can do with all your personal life whatever they want eather you like it or not.

It's more serieus then most of you realize it's sad that so many still keep saying ive nothing to hide they can have all my personal info i don't care.
    Well you will find out in future you be warned(oh wait you don't care thats right:p)

I've been sinds 1998 online never register at any importend site only some forums and gamesites.

Never registered at google-facebook-twitter-microsoft or any social media also never any cloud service.

I know there is always some info you left behind on internet you can't avoid it 100% but thats almost nothing.

No photo's no info of me personal, no medical or any revelevant info, nothing on the internet.

Also zero info on my PC so if im hacked they can't find anything.

Ive also nothing to hide never done anything illegal im sickly straight honest guy(almost wanne puge so straight i am:p)so would do no harm if i register at all those social medias. But still im the one who be in control what others can know of me, not other way around.

I have very stricked rules concerning my privacy, have enough programs and protection running to be blind spot on the internet(not TOR hehe) it's NONE OF THERE BUSINESS who i am or what i want or what i do NO GO ZONE, if it concern my privacy anyone poking around try find my private info i say STOP NO FURTHER none of your damn business hehe.

Got a mobile phone with no internet no camara i never sms its only purely for phone someone(rarely)or be called thats it, a prepaid phone with secret number not on name.

I understand if you don't understand my attitude towards privacy np as long i understand and why thank you:)

And i wanne keep it that way.

Sorry for my bad english and grammer, ignore this reply if it annoying you, np at all i understand:)

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^I'm with you bro.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Same...

Still rocking an old Nokia phone lol.

12. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Like anyone cares what the traitor Snowden has to say.

13. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    :stewpid:

I ditched Dropbox long ago

14. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Check out: http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/jul/17/edward-snowden-video-interview

Don't think I also haven't thought "well, maybe he's feeding the Russians something now". I don't think he's siding with one country or another though- he admits all countries are pulling this ****- and it's not new information to the other countries. It's about making the public aware.

I agree with him, most of this data can be looked through by all the kids working over in these data centers with the same level of care that you'd put into a fast food worker to not spit in your food (so, you honestly think that anyone more dangerous couldn't access that SAME information?). If you're a doctor, or a journalist, detective or even involved with military forces (like Afghan Interpreters, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7k1XJcDpV4 ) then you're ****ed as well.

The only safe(er) stored information are with things that don't log anything to begin with, or things that encrypt all that information by default so that only the end user can access it.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Has anyone found a way to disable the "always signed in" persistent cookie when logging into Gmail with FireFox?

I'm sick of having to untick it every time. Actually tbh I just hate Google and what they've become, period.

16. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
  17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sorry I don't get it? I don't need a proxy just I want to remove the persistent cookie...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  18. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Other email services, if you're sick of Google enough to get rid of them.

But if you want to manage cookies, then you'll probably have to use something like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/

Or https://prism-break.org/en/subcategories/windows-web-browser-addons/

edit

Privacy Badger might do the trick too, you'd have to try it: https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  19. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I only use OneDrive, at work we block any form of sharing files especially Dropbox as we've always considered it a risk.

20. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I'm now using Bittorrent Sync and find it very good indeed. Ditched Dropbox from storing anything private