SSHD Recommendations?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Aura89, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    SSHD Recommendations?

I'm finding very little in selection on SSHD's, mainly seagate, have found some toshiba's but they look to be all laptop harddrives, no WD?

Main problem i am finding is figuring out which one is the best to go with, highest performance and most reliable

i am looking for 1.5tb-3tb, likely will fall in 2tb. 4tb is too expensive for my liking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178380&cm_re=SSHD-_-22-178-380-_-Product

That one seems to fit my needs, but the reviews seem pretty...bad, is there a debunking/obvious reason that i shouldn't be worried about in regards to that hard drive? or stay clear or it?

and then there's this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1R21257&cm_re=SSHD-_-22-178-447-_-Product

which...correct me if i am wrong, is simply the retail non-bare drive version? i ask, because of the different model number, which i know can just mean the retail packaging, but can mean something different...

and i assume there are previous models? or not?

Lots of questions i know, so any recommendations or thoughts?

2. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    I'll Bite.

1) What is the primary use for the hard drive?
    2) What advantage are you hopping for by using a SSHD?
    3) Do you need that much hard drive space?
    4) How are you going to back up the data if you are using that amount of storage?
    5) Is your computer able to transfer the data from the SSHD at 6Gb/s?

Your up.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    1) Main OS, programs, games
    2) Faster OS startup, potential for faster programs loading aswell as games, and yes i know this is relative to how often i use them (as far as i have read)
    3) Absolutely
    4) I don't need to backup any data currently, how i have my system setup currently is a 1.5Tb OS/Programs/games drive that has nothing on it that needs to be saved, and a 2Tb Pictures/videos/music/files drive, it is a 5900RPM drive though so i would very much rather not make it my main drive, plus, it will probably need to be upgraded soon aswell
    5) My motherboard says yes.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

SSHD's don't seem to perform that brilliantly according to benchmarks. The SSD component effectively acts as a cache. The size of the SSD component is generally quite small and would only benefit specific scenarios. The Seagate SSHD's have a 8 GB SSD component. Basically there isn't enough room in it for the OS let alone programs. A much better option is a 256 GB SSD for the OS and programs/games that would benefit from it, and put everything else on a fast HDD. Don't completely full the SSD. You need spare space anyway for proper OS functionality like temp files, updates etc.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    SSHD is the only option for me right now aside from tradition HD, and i'd rather not go with tradition HD as i see no reason to (money wise it doesn't seem logical)

SSD's are extremely way too expensive to even be considered an option, i'd need at least 1.5tb of SSD, and that's not going to happen. On top of that, for SSD, i'd need at least 1.5Tb for under $250 as that is the most i'd spend on a new hard drive if it was SSD. Again, not going to happen, not for a long time.

This is my current C:\ drive, and this is with continually trying to find more space by deleting games

[​IMG]

And yes, it's mainly steam:

[​IMG]

Aswell as origin, gog games, normal installed games, uplay installed games, etc. and no, that's not going to change, so absolutely no way am i going to go under 1.5Tb for my main drive, it's not feasible lol

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's a shame you don't have an Ivy or above system, you could just use Intel Smart Response, which is the same thing as what hybrid hard drives are. I honestly don't know how hybrid HDD's fare in terms of user experience. I mean, obviously the benchmarks will still be awful, but that's not really surprising considering at the end of the day it's a traditional platter drive. However, if they can actually match the end user "snappiness" of a SSD is a question I don't have the answer to.

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    read this since your keen on the SSHDD

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Seagate-Desktop-SSHD-4TB-Review-Big-Hybrid-Little-Cache

Here's something I found interesting from that review.
    Personally I would just go with a WD Black and call it a day.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  8. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    If you really need that much space on main drive buy ssd cache drive from sandisk + hdd, my recommendation:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8834&cm_re=seagate_2tb-_-22-148-834-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171667

You just set up a driver and small os + program files will cache to ssd. However, considering using SSD as main drive and keeping your present drive for steam games etc, you could get a big 256gb ssd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G15X6131
    and fit most of the stuff on it.
    Price is the same as SSHD and only 10$ more for hd+ssd cache but I bet both configurations will perform significantly better than SSHD with just 8GB cache.

9. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Same here

10. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I use a 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD for my main OS, programs, and games I frequently play. I use a 1TB WD Green drive (it was pulled from my HTPC which now has a 2TB external) for docs, pics, music, and games I like to just have installed to play every once in a while. This setup works great.

You can change the location for media and docs in Windows so they automatically go to the other drive. For games you can set an secondary install location in Steam and just pick which one you want for each game. Origin is a little more cumbersome, you have to change it in the settings each time.

If you are dead set on a hybrid drive don't overlook laptop drives. They have lower seek times due to the smaller platter size. If you can fine one that is 7.2k it will out perform it's big brother. Just make sure you can mount it in your case (or buy an adapter).

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You're not going to benefit from the SSD component TBH. Can't you place the most important software / games on the SSD and the rest on the HDD, as I believe most of us do?

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

As Yasamoka said.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Potentially that could work, does Steam now have the ability to install to two different drives with ease?

You can?...hm...i'll have to look into this and see how this will work, if that's true, then i may just well go with a 512 or 480gb SSD

What's the benefit of a WD Black vs what i am considering currently?

If i were to get an SSD, this one seems to be in my price range for the space i want

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148821

Seems like good reviews, and price range is anything under i'd say...230, 250 at max, the only other ones are a Muskin and PNY with not so great reviews

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    What HDD are you using currently?

Crucial is a good brand. If I were you, I would get that. Put your OS and a few games on it, then use your existing HDD for everything else.

15. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Has had it for quite some time. Just look in the options.

WD Blacks are some of the fastest and most reliable 7.2k HDs around. That's why everyone is recommending them. Your overall performance would be better and more consistent than any of the hybrid drives you are considering.

The MX100s are the best bang for buck right now. Only one I would consider over it is an 840 Pro, but the performance difference is too small for the cost.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Seagate Barracuda LP ST31500541AS 1.5TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache for my current main drive (honestly i don't ever remember getting a 5900 RPM drive for my main drive, but apparently i did...i think i was given this one as a present)

Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache for my 2nd' hard drive, knew this one was 5900rpm, since it was for my data drive, didn't really care that much

looking through amazon for SSD's aswell, how is this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-512...f=sr_1_18?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1406307480&sr=1-18

i have about 40 dollars in credit in amazon, hence why i am looking there

I'll probably be going for the crucial though it looks like, every other brand for the most part either i know isn't that good, doesn't have any reviews(such as the "eluktro" brand, whatever that is...), or has bad reviews lol

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Aside from the obvious difference in storage, any significant difference between the Crucial MX100 or the M500 that i should be aware of? (the M500 is a 480gb)

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  19. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
  20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

Sorry I have no experience with the Transcend SSD. As for the difference between your HDD and the WD black is the WD is better. 7200 RPM 64MB cache and something else. You can look up comparisons online.