If your boss said "you can work as many hours you want"...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by FULMTL, Jul 24, 2014.

1. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    How many hours would you do?

Just curious as to what people will say. Right now I do about 45hrs a week, and that is optional to work that much. I realize I could make it to 50hrs maybe if I woke up earlier everyday.
    At a previous job on a boat, I worked 12-15hr shifts for 7 days in a row. Surely, I should be able to do that in front of a computer? Or would I be that guy who dies at the computer...:pc1:

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean I'm assuming that pay would decrease hours worked in this hypothetical situation? If not obviously I would work the bare minimum and then also get a job somewhere else, effectively doubling my salary.

If pay would decrease though, I'd probably work the same 40-45 hours a week. Most of my friends are at work during the day anyway so it would get kinda boring to sit at home. Plus I have some pretty cool co-workers at my current job and I like what I do so it's like barely work anyway. I mean I'm sitting here at work posting at Guru3D now so..

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'd work as little as possible, kinda like I do now. lol

Likewise...:p although I only see the office about once or twice a week.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    If you get paid accordingly then why not.

Personally I'd probably do 12-16 hrs days if given such a chance to gain some extra cash. For a while that is, not all the time.

I would work for 8 hrs and spend the rest of the day here ;)

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    If I got the same pay 6 hours a day would suffice ;) :D no really I wouldn't work any extra over my 8 hour days now.

6. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    i only do 8hours anymore
    i used to do 12-14hours a day but they started complaining when i wanted to go home at the normal hour so i never do more hours then i should.
    it was never appreciated anyway

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Writing my PhD thesis presently, about 60 a week.

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Since I get the same base pay no matter how many hours I work (Although it's never to ridiculous levels), I'd go in for one hour a week and get a part time job doing something else.

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Taking 30 minutes (maybe a total of one hour a day) to commute to another job in the same day doesn't seem like a good use of time. Lets say you get off around 5pm, which is during traffic. I think that would double your stress and hunger levels, causing more fatigue.
    If you work long hours for 5 days, you get some time off to reset and relax.

I'm not in any debt, and I'm making more money than my last job. I feel like I have no life since I moved here recently, but here I am cycling, exploring, working on a race car, rallyx'ing, and going to races every month. However, I have not made any close (proximity) friends to really have a social life.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Might do 40 hours in 4 days and have a long weekend, or 'day on, day off' 10 hour shifts over 7 days

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I would work as much as my body would allow. Go to the vehicle for power naps, then come right back.

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    If there's money and appreciation then yes I would work extra hours. At my previous job my average hours a day was about 11 to 12 (counting in days that was just 8 and spikes of 16 hours straight).

No extra money, couldn't be arsed eventually.

13. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i would work until my work is done, that said, if in one day i manage to do all my stuff in about 2 hours, id head back home wen i am done.

cuz you know, if i don't do any work and just show up for doing nothing, then the company might have a weak link and start to fail, and well logic tells me that if that fails then i will get out of a job. not precisely by being fired.

14. Waylander

Waylander Guest

I used to do 9-10 hour days consistently, just to try and keep on top of the workload.
    But it became the expected norm, and they then argued that we didn't need more staff as the work was getting done.
    So now we all just do a 36 hour week, and unsurprisingly the work isn't getting done and all we're getting is grief.
    But the team attitude is very much fk 'em at the moment

15. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I suppose it depends on how you are paid.

Time-and-a-half after eight hours a day, time-and-a-half after forty hours a week, profit sharing based on hours worked, etc?

16. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    6 hours per day

maybe increased whenever im doing something very interesting

right now I have to do 7-8 :( (oficially 8...), in one of those vinteresting days, I may do 9 or even 10.

I usually finish work earlier, but I won't do any daily extra-work for a salary of less than 3k-4k€ (after taxes).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  17. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    A day off wouldn't be bad :p 52,5-60 hours a week right now :p And that's without some idiot messing up the DHCP with his own DHCP server project :')

18. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    30 Hours.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Put him in the corner and tell him to count from 169 to 254

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru