Computer Crashing?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Auradesru, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Auradesru

Auradesru Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
    My new rig has been crashing consistently whiled gaming. I crash in games like war thunder, World of Tanks, and of course BF4. I've downloaded at least 3 drivers this week and tested them out. I still crash on a lot of games.
    14.4 Beta Drivers
    14.7 Drivers
    14.7 RC1 beta Drivers (current)

PSU: Evga 500W
    Mobo: Z97m plus
    GPU: HIS R9 270x
    CPU: I7 4790K

All my temperatures are around 61c-81c
    Whiled playing wot, my I7 highest recorded temp was 87c and my gpu highest was 65c. I don't understand whether this crashing came from building the rig or defective part. Is it because of drivers or windows 8.1?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Download OCCT from here: http://www.ocbase.com/
    Run the PSU test. Post the results.

Also run 3DMark. (post scores and any crashes)

3. Auradesru

Auradesru Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x

I'll have the test in by tomorrow.
    I also disabled the asus multicore enhancement option in the bios. I should be seeing lower cpu temps.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    87C is too high for stock settings.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Sorry, you're wrong. It's way, way, way too high as a stock temp ;). Actually, it's way too high even if you overclocked! This if especially true since you're just playing games and not doing a stress test on it. I didn't even know you could run them so high! The crashing would likely be related to the CPU overheating, and not due to the graphics drivers. It's not unrealistic to say that temp on the CPU could have potentially damaged it.

Do NOT run a stress test on it running at that temp, you are asking for trouble and the temperature is already an indication something is wrong.

Thinking about your temps, it seems possible you mixed the temps, so you got 65 C for the CPU and 87 C for the GPU. That sounds much more probable, but keep in mind they are still too high! The crashing is still probably caused by the CPU, 65C is way too high for the whole CPU temp. If it were 65C for individual cores that would be manageable if it was due to heavy processing. However, at stock tennis it is to high.

So, regardless of anything else, you have a temperature issue. What is your room temperature?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  6. Auradesru

Auradesru Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
    When i'm playing games
    When I play games. I usually get around 60-89c on my I7.
    Is there a way to lower the voltage or decrease the ghz? My default is 4.0 ghz but is there a way to make it run at 3.7 ghz.

By the way
    Stock heatsink/fan on the I7

7. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Maybe try getting an aftermarket cooler and see if that helps. A Cooler Master 212 should be fine if your planning on keeping it stock. Any big overclocks and you may need something a bit more heavy duty.

8. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Do they still use that round cooler with the push pins

9. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Sure do:
    [​IMG]

10. Auradesru

Auradesru Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
    As someone who does not have the luxury for a new heat sink and a fan.
    I disabled Hyperthreading and using max Battery power which limits me to stock 4.0 ghz. Is there a way to underclock my cpu to maybe a 3.5-3.7? I don't know how to with asus bios
    tutorial pls?

also made intel stock cooler run at 100% for fan

11. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Well I'm sure Intel still has the speedstep and c1 functions (possibly renamed as something else)
    I know my processor has this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tm2 not sure what it's called now but I'd imagine they still use it (again possibly called something else)

I'd strongly advise you to save up for one, the stock cooler is terrible and don't even get me started on the push pins lol

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can enable Enhanced SpeedStep, C-states, and disable turbo (boost) mode.

13. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Maybe even try reseating the cooler and replace the TIM at the same time.

It's not uncommon for one of those pins not to fully engage and lock down... the design is simply crap.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Truer words were never spoken.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    There should be a section called AI Tweaker in the Advanced part of BIOS setup.

From there, select Manual overclocking mode and then you can key in the wanted multipliers for each core.
    The baseclock is 100 MHz, so if you want 3.5 GHz, key in 35 to all ratio multipliers.

This, of course, is possible only if you have an unlocked K CPU, but you do according to specs.

I'd also recommend you try re-seating the cooler, the temps are way too high. You must hear an audible snap when you lock the pins (and sometimes they can be hard to lock).
    Also, lock them in a diagonal order, not clockwise or counterclockwise. Meaning lock opposite pins in pairs. Sorry if this is confusing.

And yes, do get an aftermarket cooler, it needn't be the most expensive one. Anything is better than the stock cooler, basically.
    I was really surprised to see those same flimsy coolers were still supplied with Core i CPUs as they were with Core 2 ones.

16. Auradesru

Auradesru Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
    Is it possible you could go into a more indepth guide on how to do it in bios. I set stuff to manual mode but I cant find where to change the clocks.

edit: So I set everything in my bios to keep the cpu from working turbo mode and increasing the clock. The clocks been staying at 4007 mhz the whole time. I've ran some test with games for about an hour and noticed that my cpu has been keeping 40-59c whiled playing these games on max settings. However I noticed that war thunder keep crashing on me. The temperatures are only 50-59c.

Ran CS GO and crashed...
    I notice that most of these crashes aren't redirecting me to the bsod. Instead it freezes my current screen wit the game in the background frozen. I'm unable to control anything and there's a loud buzzing noise.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That type of freeze crash sounds temperature related (due to hardware). Hopefully running so high temps on it hasn't damaged it. I would still recommend a new cooler and maybe extra case fan. You're literally wasting that CPU and motherboard without at least a modesty overclock. You should be able to do 4.2 GHz and not have temperature worries even with a good air cooler. I'm not suggesting one of those stupidly massive things. You can get decent ones that are quite small.

18. Auradesru

Auradesru Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
    So I basically underclocked my cpu to 3.1 ghz. I got this cpu for free from an intel friend. My original build was to use a I5 4950. What happends when I played games was that when ever I was playing. It would randomly freeze up my entire computer and have this buzzing noise in the background. I would have to force reset by pressing the power button for a while and reboot. I have not crashed in OCCT with 3.1 ghz running for a minute. When I had my clock at 4.0 ghz. It would still crash after 50 sec of running. So there are two probability I'm thinking that's causing crashes. Either the temptures on my cpu are not able to handle it. I don't have enough voltage to support the I7. My original intended build was an I5 (3.5-3.7 ghz). However my friend heard I was building a computer and he gave me his I7 out of generosity.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If it's crashing running the OCCT PSU test, then you need a stronger PSU, which was something we discussed previously.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's right, I remember your other thread now :). Your power supply is probably enough, considering you aren't running extra cards like networking, sound, tv tuners etc, and you have a R9-270 and not a R9-280X etc. A decent $40 or so cooler would be a wise investment. The Coolermaster HPC-212x would be a good choice, as well as the Xigmatek Dark Night SD1283 Night Hawk (either the black one of the newer FB white one). The Night Hawk is probably the best value air cooler temp vs price.

Even if your PSU isn't enough, if you had to choose between a better PSU and a better cooler, go with the better cooler. This is due to those high temperatures. No point getting a more powerful PSU to stop crashes at 4.0 GHz if you need to run it at 3.1 GHz to keep temperatures in check. I still suggest it is the temperature that is the issue.

Putting it another way, you definitely need a better cooler. If you get one and still have the issues with the cooler temperatures, then you can consider a better PSU when money allows and run it at an under lock in the meantime. If you get a new PSU and the crashing stops, big deal! Because you will still have to under clock for the temperature and it may mean your available money can't stretch for the CPU cooler.

If you don't have good case cooling and gave a spare fan slot, especially at the back or top, I would recommend getting a decent case fan too. A decent case fan should have good airflow AMD be quite silent, but shouldn't cost a stupid amount either.

If your computer is drawing too much power for your PSU to handle, any decent PSU should city out? I believe... As a current protection thing. The EVGA PSU should realistically have this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014