Help: Fallout NV blank screen with Afterburner

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by ReBeL, Jul 24, 2014.

1. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    I've gotten it to work a couple of times, but the vast majority of times I try to launch Fallout: New Vegas (steam) while Afterburner is running, I just get a blank screen.

I"m not using an ENB or anything like that. What can I do to get it working?

I do have Afterburner set to run 2d/3d profiles.

Other games such as Skyrim work fine.

Thanks in advance.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Do u have any mods installed?

3. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Try disable Steam overlay?

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yes , can also try making profile for it in RTSS, set app detection level to low (so your 2d/3d clocks work) and disable on screen support (OSD) .

If that works then it is a overlay issue most likely .

5. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Thanks. I'll try those suggestions when I got back home later.

Yeah, but only a few. I'll try the other suggestions before I start messing with the mods.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    RTSS works fine with FNV retail version but idk about Steam overlay.

There is one major mod that can prevent FNV menu from appearing (I can't remember the name but I'll know when I see it), if u still have trouble post what mods u have and I can try to help.
    I've used literally over 150 mods with FNV......got about 100 installed atm...

*are u running FOMM and BOSS (or LOOT)?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  7. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Here are all the mods/plugins I have installed:

New Vegas Stutter Remover
    EVE - Essential Visual Enhancements
    Enhanced Blood Textures for NV v2_22c
    Legionary and NCR Assassins - Balanced Lists
    NCR and Legion Hit Squad Freq

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Did u try the other suggestions already?

9. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Oh sorry, no. But since you mentioned a specific mod or mods you had in mind that cause problems with Afterburner, I thought I would go ahead and give you the list of the ones I had installed.

10. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Disabled screen overlay and made a profile for FalloutNV.exe in RTSS with low application setting and on screen display disabled. Still having the same issue. Just every now and then it will actually load the game fine, but most of the time it just gets stuck on a black screen with the Windows loading cursor.

Any other suggestions?

11. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Well this must not be a common problem considering this thread is now the #1 result on Google for "fallout new vegas afterburner black screen".

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    This probably wont help you, but I remember Unwinder saying before that some of the mods for games like Fallout and Skyrim will conflict with RTSS by how they hook into the game. The ENB mods are usually the culprit. You will have to delete the mods one by one to see which is conflicting.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Where exactly is it getting stuck? Loading the menu or while loading a saved game from the menu?

14. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Just as soon as I start the game application. I don't see anything but a black screen.

Forgot to mention that I did try windowed mode, but it didn't help.

What's odd is that every once in a while it will actually work. Maybe 1 out of 5 times.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It can happen with installed mods that use overlay. Not related to RTSS tho.

Follow PhazeDelta's advice and disable all mods that way we'll know what isn't the cause. You can disable the mods in FOMM which u should have installed.

Is FNV patched to latest version?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

16. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Afterburner apparently just doesn't like my rig. It seems to be causing crashes in Skyrim.

My wife and I both experienced crashes after playing Skyrim for 20 mins or so. Reload and it's about the same thing...20 mins and then crash.

Stopped running Afterburner and we can play indefinitely. I played for over an hour earlier today and my wife is currently around the two hour mark on her session. No crashes.

I think I'm just done with Afterburner. I'm not going to spend anymore time on it. I was just trying to use it for two reasons:

1) To stop the variable clock speeds in game (see http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=391162)

2) To eliminate the need for having to run another third party to limit the frame rate (Dxtory)

#2 is purely a convenience issue, but #1 occasionally causes a stutter when playing. But I'd rather deal with both if it means we can play games without sudden crashes.

For Skyrim, I have a bunch of mods installed. I suppose it's possible one of them is causing the crashes when Afterburner is running, but there's no way I'm going to spend the time it would take to try narrowing down which one of my dozens of mods might be causing the issue. Not worth it at all. I'd rather just deal with the variable clock speeds and having to run Dxtory.

Anyway, thanks again to those who tried to help.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    See my post in your other thread. You were given some very bad advice which I think may be contributing to the instability.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4882412#post4882412

I can assure you Afterburner is extremely stable and the best all round app of it's type. Far superior to anything AMD develop even when not used for overclocking, and has been for years.

It takes a bit to learn how to use the features, but that's user error not software. a good start would be to post a screenie of ab settings.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014