Buying a new car, any experiences with KIA?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Omagana, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hey,

Been driving a Corsa 1.2 SXI for a few years now, mostly commuting to and from Glasgow. It's not a particularly impressive car, but it does the job. Got it 2nd hand and after 6 years I'd like a change.

Went looking around the garages today for something around £10k and was offered a nice deal on a new Kia Rio 1.25 VR7. It ticks my boxes in terms of price and features, went a short test drive and it handled pretty well.

A big draw for me is KIA's 7 year warranty. However I've never owned a KIA before nor has anyone I know. Does anyone have experience of them? or better yet own/owned a Rio?

2. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I've not had one my self but when I lived in Spain they where extremely popular. I was offered one to by for around €9000 I think was only used in the summer each year then was locked away in the garage till the owner came back. The one in the link looks similar to the one I nearly bought.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also the KIA is popular here in the States as well I never owned one nor knew anyone that did, but I saw countless commercials advertising KIAs and they seem like nice looking cars.

4. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I've always heard they were reliable cars. They're made in South Korea by the same parent company as Hyundai so should be pretty good.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    They used to be garbage but over the last 5-6 years they have really become nice cars. My dad bought two recently and he says they are great.

6. spider

spider Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB
    The Hyundai KIA Kappa 2 1.25L engine is a nice one.
    Good torque at lower rpm because of its D-CVVT for such a little engine, weighs around 70kg I think.:nerd:

7. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Cheers for the input, think I'll go test drive it again.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    My mom drives a 2005 Kia Spectra and it's never broken down once in 90k miles. Pretty good build quality imo.

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    We had a early 2000's Hyundai Santa fe (same company), and it was garbage. Countless engine problems. That doesn't speak for what hyundai/kia is today though. My aunt has had a Soul for a while (cheap small suv kinda thing) and it's still kicking fine. They offer a really nice warranty too, so if you're worried about it... just sell it before the warranty is over I guess?

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The only downside to modern Kia's is that the parts are extremely expensive. They're not cars you want to try and keep for a long time.

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I don't own a Kia but have driven several different ones when I needed a car for rent.

Apart from being cheap I didn't like the car. It felt very cheap and it was like driving a toy car.

It's extremely fragile and I couldn't imagine the state it would be in should it be involved in an accident.

Handling is worse, turning left and right at speed feels although the car wants to roll over.

I'd go for something German, a Volkswagen Passat or Jetta perhaps?

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    KIAs should be solid thesedays, my mother has had one for ten years or so and zero problems with it.

Granted, personally I don't like how it handles but if you've already test driven one and like it then no problem there.

Plus if you get a new car with full warranty, you're always better off regardless of brand.

All new cars should be pretty solid, especially when they're all built by just a couple of major manufacturers anyway.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    In fact I do own and drive a Kia Rio, built in 2012, and besides me making the wrong choice to buy one with the least powerful engine (go for anything but that), I'm pretty fine with it. Just check reverse gear with manual shift, mine doesn't want to go in sometimes until I put in another gear first, then the reverse. Then it works, so I guess it's nothing all too bad....
    If you can afford it, you can go for anything better like a German car (Volkswagen for instance), yet I would recommend to go for a Seat Leon (same company as Volkswagen, same standards, smaller price imho).

14. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Was looking at the Volkswagen up! as well, lot of mixed reviews online though. Think I'd have to go for a 5 door version, back seat looks a nightmare with 3.

15. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I drive a Kia and like you Omagana I came from a Vauxhaul and I too live in the Central Belt of Scotland.

I own a Kia Pro'ceed 3 - 1.6 and it's my favourite car I've owned/held on lease.

It has an Ncap rating of 5 so I don't know why someone previously stated that Kias' were somehow dangerous.

The extras my car comes with is unbelievable, I have the works for a fraction of the cost.

I've owned her for four years now and the only thing I've had to buy is a tyre and wiper blades. I've never turned the key to have it not turn the engine.
    Driving the car is a dream with the electric steering which also helps with tyre wear, I can drive with my little pinkie if I wanted and it would still be a smooth drive.

Mine is a 2 door saloon/coupe'. It looks sporty and has a small sports sterring wheel and trim but it's not a sports car although it's plenty powerful enough for its purpose.
    The suspension is rather hard but that's by design to feel faster.

I have bluetooth handsfree, usb mp3, CD, mp3 CD, ipod dock, cruise control and all my master stick stuff on hand.

My car looks the same as this one with the same front grill and colour...

[​IMG]

Personally I cant recommend Kia enough, my neighbour asked me how I liked mines and bought a Rio on my rec, he too loves his.

That 7 year warranty is a lovely piece of mind too.
    My next car will be a Kia, hopefully a Ceed GT.

16. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    KIA is popular here although Hyundai is the more popular brand in Korean car segment.
    Years ago KIA Carrens was very popular and the streets here were full of them.
    So i guess if this KIA Rio meet your budged and features, you'll be happy with it.

Me personally won't buy a KIA because the acronym it stands for is quite bothering me

17. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

I always thought that when translated it meant 'From Asia' or something like that.
    Obviously you have other ideas so please do elaborate, I'm intrigued.

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    killed in action?

19. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    This or driving a Kia? Think I'd know which I'd choose.

20. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    This:
    I know it's stupid but I can't get rid of it from my mind every time I see a KIA