Anyone ever seen something like this..?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Crowbar, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Crowbar

Crowbar Guest

GPU:
    MSi R9 290 GAMING
    Hey guys!

So, yesterday my mom said there was something wrong with her computer. She said she had heard a crack or a pop of sorts from the case and she immediately turned the pc off and told me to take a look at it. Well, I opened the case took a quick look inside, sniffed it because I thought, that something might have burned out and I didn't notice anything. Started the pc, it booted up normally, but started giving out bluescreens. Googled it and there was a big chance that a ram stick had gone tits up. For the heck of it I thought I'd place the ram stick in a different slot and then I noticed it!!!

As I opened the case and started reaching for the ram stick, I noticed that the cpu cooler is a bit off. I was like wtf is goin on. I touched the cooler and a small piece of plastic immediately fell off and the cooler basically disintegrated itself from the mobo :D Turns out the little piece of plastic was a part of the bracket, that the cpu cooler snaps on to. So the crack or a pop my mom heard, was that little plastic thingy breaking off all by itself. How the hell does this happen? Any of you guys ever have had this happen to you? :D

Fortunately it was an 8 year old pc anyway. The specs are AM2 mobo, Sempron 3000+(I think, it's clocked at 1.6ghz and it's a single core), 2gb ddr2 ram and some other bits and bobs. My mom was using this pc for casual browsing and watching movies etc. Here's a few pics of the whole thing :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. Crowbar

Crowbar Guest

GPU:
    MSi R9 290 GAMING
    Now I don't know what to do. I think it's time for an upgrade, maybe like an old cheap dual core cpu and a mobo to go with it. I could keep the ram and other parts as well.

The other option is to get something like a Celeron G1620, MSi H61 mATX mobo and a 2GB stick of 1333mhz DDR3 ram. All for 92 eur new. I tried searching local forums etc, but there was nothing much of the cheap hardware. So what do you guys think..?

3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I have had that happen before on really old machines the heat cycles just make the plastic brittle.I would go the new route only 4 GB ram instead.

4. Crowbar

Crowbar Guest

GPU:
    MSi R9 290 GAMING
    Oh yeah, I forgot to about heat making plastic brittle, doi. Well, this pc is going to be mainly used for web browsing and watching movies, don't really think I need that. I mean it's not like it's a lot more moneyz if I go for the 4gb, but the thing is I'm broke :D

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    What about a low end APU system? All you'd need is the mobo, apu and ram.

6. Crowbar

Crowbar Guest

GPU:
    MSi R9 290 GAMING
    It would be same'ish price wise. What would be the benefit of APU over that celeron..? I mean I have a dedicated gfx card, it's an old 8600gts.

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'd assume the APU's onboard gpu would be stronger, and I would think that it might use less power. I didn't realize that celeron was released in 2013. I'm not really sure what would be the best choice, I'm not that well versed in the low end stuff.

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Perfectly normal bro, happened to me once before.

Some time ago, I used to own the best, so called Noctua NH-D14 cooler. Turns out the build quality was $hit since after several months of use, it fell apart, just like what happened to your Mum.

I was using my pc and suddenly heard some noises. I shut down my computer, opened the side case and saw part of the fan blade broke off...

It's rare but it happens.

Just go buy a new cpu cooler!

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
  10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Pull another backplate / bracket off another old machine, replace > done

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    or this +1

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ given the CPU wasn't fried yet... hope not, of course.

I remember reading an article where Athlon CPUs were deliberately ran without any cooler.

The chips fried within seconds of startup. The core temperatures were in hundreds of degrees centigrade based on thermal imaging.

13. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I remember watching a video of them frying AMDs while Intel's underclocked themselves. That was only up to the Athlon XP line. AMD CPUs have had the same underclocking tech since the Athlon 64s (which came before the Semprons). The CPU is most likely fine.

14. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

^^^^ This

I saw this few times, not on my rigs of course :)

Buy on some eBay-like site for few bucks one dead AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ mobo (or try to find only CPU bracket for AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ mobo), take from that mobo CPU cooler's bracket and mount it on your mom mobo and job done.

BTW, that Sempron 3000+ is alive for sure.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah thats what i did when it happened to my brother in laws mothers PC, when i picked it up, there was something rattling about inside, so i opened her up and discovered the cooler had come off, as one of the plastic lugs had snapped off the plastic bracket, luckily though, i had an old board which had the same plastic bracket on, so i just whacked it on, and popped the cooler back on, job was a good'un :D

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    saw this so many times when i worked in computer repair
    usually ,a new plastic retention clip was $2 a piece,and 1/2 hr repair,we charged 40 euros for that.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I once saw a man eat his own head.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The article was indeed about the XP generation of processors.

Didn't know Semprons had throttling too, so OP can forget my post ;)

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    You could look around for a cooler that has it's own backplate, etc. That will probably be your cheapest route. Remove the existing one, etc.

Though might be hard to find one for such an old model.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For a replacement.... AMD Athlon 5150 + Asus AM1M-A..... A nice, very low power quad core.