Intel Core i5 650 or Intel Sandy Bridge Pentium vs. AMD Phenom II 810

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by deltatux, Jul 19, 2014.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Hey guys,

It's been a really long time since I've been here. School, graduation and now work. Got a question for you all, my work gave me two machines, one with a Core i5 650 and a Lenovo SFF machine with a Sandy Bridge CPU. My brother is due for an upgrade and he doesn't really need something too fancy to play his DoTA 2 or what-not, so I was wondering, for gaming and school work, which is more powerful:

• Lenovo w/ a Sandy Bridge Pentium CPU (won't fit his GPU though)
    • Intel Core i5 650
    • or his existing AMD Phenom II 810 CPU?

Mainly I'm mostly looking at if the Core i5 650 is worth his Phenom II 810 out for. If so that's what I'll do, if not I'll stay the course. I would swap him for a Core i5 650 in a heartbeat but that thing is a dualcore with hyperthreading and not an actual quad core so I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Do let me know and please refrain from fanboyism.

deltatux

2. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    i5 650 vs. Phenom II 810: If all the cores can be utilized, they are identical in raw performance. The keyword there is "if". Otherwise, the i5 650 will greatly dominate over the Phenom II in single/dual-threaded applications.

All Sandy Bridge Pentium CPUs will be slower than either, due to lack of clock speed and cache.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well from what I have been reading about the i5 650 performance is similar to the phenom II 810 as far as performance goes and it uses less wattage.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Don't it since my bro mainly plays DoTA 2 and a few less threaded games. He also doesn't do much pro work so I guess the 650 is better and if he needs more speed, I can always get him an LGA1156 processor off eBay.

EDIT: Would getting him a Core i5 750 be a good idea? Found one for $80 or would the Core i5 650 be better?

Cheers,
    deltatux

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

5. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Without overclocking, the i5 750 can overtake the Phenom II, but not the i5 650 in lightly-threaded scenarios.

But if you're willing to do some overclocking, the i5 750 will destroy both.

For $80 you could spend $20 more and get the FX-8320, which actually performs on par with the i5 3570K if highly-threaded. Otherwise, in lightly-threaded situations, the FX performs about where the i5 650 does, but is a newer architecture. While Bulldozer/Piledriver aren't super great, they do shine against the older i3 and i5's, and even the newer i5/i7's if the workload is right.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  6. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I have yet to see a game benefit from more than 2 threads. Even games like BF4 which recommend a quad core have been proven in benchmarks to only really use 2 threads. That will probably change soon (I hope). But for current games, get the best per thread performance you can (especially since you seem to be on a tight budget).

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Not sure if the FX-8320 would work on his GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard. If it doesn't, no point, he's not interested in spending money really. If it does work, I can get one for him as a birthday present.

deltatux

8. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
  9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Looks like it only works on revision 3.1, my brother has a revision 1.0 board. Don't think the AM3+ chips would physically fit on an AM3 socket ... unless I'm mistaken o_O...

deltatux

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    AFAIK AM2/2+/3/3+ are all physically the same socket just different chipsets and RAM configurations.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey DT. :)
    DO NOT get that Gigabyte 770 for Vishera. It's an old chipset with a new AM3+ socket glued on.

AM3+ CPU's will fit in AM3 sockets because they are backward compatible with the DDR2 memory controller, however the AM2/AM3 boards don't have dual power plane which is required for FX and only 4800mhz HT.

It's true i5 Lynnfield will beat a Phenom II, but 8320 is good value and they overclock like mad with decent cooling.

Best low cost board for the 8320 is ASUS M5A97-EVO.

Not sure if serious?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  12. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
  13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Great single-threaded performance, perfect for Starcraft2 and Skyrim. If that's all you play then this is the CPU for you.

[​IMG]

As for the above posted on Bit-Tech, it def seems legit. Obviously not a GPU limited SP benchmark. :p

14. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I will admit the pic looks suspicious. But I read a lot of tech sites and Bit-Tech has always been unbiased and trustworthy (DailyTech however...).

That being said it is hard to find proper gaming benchmarks for a CPU like this. Most of what I can find is benching the integrated GPU and not a dedicated card. BF4 most likely does some additional threading, but it is probably low level stuff that has little impact when it doesn't have a dedicated core.

If you can find something contrary, I would be very interested to see it.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not....I hope u are, because BF4 was optimized specifically for Jaguar and will thread on up to 8 cores simultaneously.

If you want proof it's not hard to find.

16. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Threading in theory and in practice are very different things. If it were able to use 8 threads in a significant way AMD FX-8xxx series CPUs would be topping the benchmarks for BF4. They are at the bottom.

I see no proof that BF4 uses more than 2 threads in a way that has a significant impact on FPS.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You must be trolling. You have to be.

18. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
  19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'm not gonna waste my time putting up countless benchmarks just to prove how seriously misinformed you are. You're quite capable of doing that yourself.

This is not news, multicore scaling was discussed at length when BF3 was released. Seems you've been out of the loop for some time.
    I haven't looked at the link u put up but I'm guessing it's a SP bench.

20. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I think someone doesn't want to admit most of his 8 core CPU is utterly useless in games. But you keep calling me misinformed without posting any proof. You would make a great lawyer.

This is all moot of course. The OP mentioned DotA2 as the main game being played. Since it is a source game it will play well on any of these options.

EDIT - BTW here is a multiplayer benchmark:

http://www.hardwarepal.com/battlefield-4-benchmark-mp-cpu-gpu-w7-vs-w8-1/8/

See the dual core i3 beating the 8 core FX? I rest my case.