New VBIOS Asus R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by antdes45, Jul 15, 2014.

1. antdes45

antdes45 Guest

GPU:
    Asus R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5
    Hello everyone,

new VBIOS for the Asus R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/ATI/BIOS/VBIOS_UPDATE_R7260X_OC.zip
    http://www.asus.com/support/Download/9/10/16/2/IUqyCRWenJ4EliF1/41/

Version is now 015.042.000.003.000000 from 015.039.000.003.000000

I had to change a number in my card version to get it to flash.
    I unpacked the BIOS exe and renamed "113-C5820300-104" to "113-C5820300-103" in the directory and the PN.txt file. I then executed FlashBIOS.exe

I was getting constant flickering before and video corruption. I haven't tested much yet, but it seems that the 2D clock is now fixed to 1188/1750 (same as 3D) and the card runs warmer. I don't know if that's Asus' fix to the problem :/

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Reason being Hynix GDDR5 memory doesn't perform well when the memory is clocking up and down in high speed resulting in those 2D flickering.

3. Gapil301

Gapil301 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hi antdes45 ! Thanks for the information XD

Can you upload that bios for me? PLEASE! XD

4. antdes45

antdes45 Guest

GPU:
    Asus R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5
    Well, after some testing, all this BIOS does is disabling PowerPlay. Your card gets stuck at 1188/1750 clocks for 2D and 3D and runs like a toaster oven (I even saw claims of overheating and crashes) so I downgraded back to the original version.

I did a few tests on two different PCs after doing the following (with Catalyst 14.7 RC):
    -Install AMD's PCI bus driver from the Catalyst package. (amdkmpfd)
    -Disable PCIe spread spectrum in system BIOS (would crash with any VBIOS otherwise).​

Where the card is supposed to be:
    Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 + Phenom X6 1100T
    I get some flickering with the old VBIOS.​

2nd test PC:
    Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H + Phenom X3
    This system with both the old and new VBIOS is rock solid.​

Problems seem to be mainboard dependant. However, with spread spectrum enabled and Microsoft's stock PCI bus driver, it works like crap on any of those systems, even when matching the 2D and 3D memory clock together.

The card seems to be a lot less prone to problems if I underclock to AMD's specifications using AMD Overdrive (-6% GPU clock, RAM at 1625MHz). Right now I am leaving the 2D memory clock at 300, and it only seems to cause problems in Chrome 64-bit on the 990FX board.

I might try to set both the 2D and 3D memory clocks at the same speed eventually, but GPU Tweak doesn't work well at all with 14.7 drivers. It always seems to ignore GPU Tweak's settings after a while. I might try Afterburner or something else.

5. antdes45

antdes45 Guest

GPU:
    Asus R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5
    Hi Gapil301, I changed the links in the first posts but since you have a modified card, you will need GPU-Z to get your current VBIOS version ID (ie. 113-X0000000-000) and try to guess which of the 3 BIOSes included in the ASUS link are going to work with your card. The R7260X.exe file can be unpacked with 7-Zip.

6. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    I bought my ASUS R7 260X DC2 OC - 2GB this May, the card already had a newer BIOS (015.042.000.003.000000) with PowerPlay/PowerTune disabled.
    I and many others contacted ASUS about this issue (no power saving = higher temperatures and higher power consumption) but they said it's working as intended because according to them all OC cards come with disabled Power Saving features to achieve the best performance - Yes, they seriously said this not one but every time someone asked about this card...
    (Note: 7790 is the same card as 260X and even the OC version comes with PowerTune Enabled...)

I already reported this issue on many ASUS forums:

rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46791-ASUS-R7-260X-DirectCU-II-OC-Black-SC-graphical-artifacts-high-temp-no-Power-Save

(sorry can't post proper links yet)

and Support sites but no sollution yet, this Bios update still does not enable lower 2D clocks.
    So I flashed my card with a Non-OC BIOS back to 015.039.000.003.000000 - with this I have lower 2D clocks, Zero Core working, no flicker/3D artifacts.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  7. WittyScreenName

WittyScreenName Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire r7 260x 2gb
    Really? All of this and you missed the easy way out?

I wish my card had come without PowerPlay,but anyway...

Get MSI Afterburner,install,start,all that good stuff.

Set the sliders to the clock speeds you want for 3D applications(overclocked if you're comfortable),click Apply then click Save and select Profil 1 to save.
    As shown

Move the core and memory sliders as low as they'll go,apply,save to profile 2

Then go into Settings and locate the "Profiles" tab,save the 2d and 3d profiles to the appropriate areas,Like this

Then,just to avoid potential conflicts,make sure PowerPlay is off.

EDIT: Direct image links arent showing for me...changing to URLs

8. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    That's not how PowerTune works...
    With afterburner you can only change 2D/3D clocks, not the GPU voltage (which is the most important if you want to avoid unnecessary heat and power consumption) no additional steps.
    With PowerTune enabled the GPU clock & voltages are dynamically changing according to the actual load, here is the PowerTune table for non-OC 260X:

The GPU temperature with PowerTune disabled is around 10-15 °C higher during simple 2D tasks (idle, browsing, movies).

With OC BIOS there is only one DPM state:

DPM7: GPUClock = 1188 MHz, VID = 1.25770 V

So the card runs 24/7 at this speed no matter what you're doing and when is it really necessary.

9. WittyScreenName

WittyScreenName Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire r7 260x 2gb
    Uhm..i thought the issue was

Idle,2D temps with PowerTune disabled is higher because the clocks are higher, 500ish/700ish compared to 150/300 core/mem.
    But with my above instructions,atleast you arent running full 3D speed 24/7.

10. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    Yes, my 7790 came with different power stages (less number than Bonaire originally). (but also with problems/AMD!)
    Did upload it by GPUZ.

11. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    There are many other BIOS downloads for 7790 you can try a different and may solve the issues just like in my case with 260X.
    Doesn't matter if it's from a different manufacturer just check the RAM (Elpida, Hynix ?) on your card and download a bios with same memory support.
    In fact there are even tutorials how to mod 7790 to 260X with BIOS flash.

12. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    I dont dare to flash a uploaded VBIOS, yet.
    Salut you!

13. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    -.- It just that ASUS is not willing to deal with the RMA cost.
    The fact is, certain batch of Hynix GDDR5 memory has defect and doesn't function properly. The latter batch seem to correct the defect. So, early birds get to eat the ****. We paid more for earlier access to the GPU and this is how GPU OEM treat us back.....

Imagine how much it will cost if these gpu partners (asus, sapphire etc) to deal with these issue.

Last time, nvidia totally brushed off the allegation G80 fabrication material choice led to product defect, it took community two years just to make it to the news and brought a lawsuit.

Same case here, except this time, Hynix is responsible. How will ASUS, Sapphire etc deal with this issue? They totally trying to get pass this issue and play it down with VBIOS 'modification' that disable the power saving function aka increasing the memory clocks and make it static.

I am tired of these flickering issue. Not to mention our high end cards drain a lot of power if we manually set the memory clock static at high frequency.

I would like to know AMD position in this matter, however, AMD outright refuse to reply and comment. Anyone can bring this matter up to some reputable journalist at popular review site such as anandtech,techreport or arstechnica?

14. d2kx

d2kx Active Member

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n18jpyop1uujsoy/r7 260x(299-2e253-020sa).zip

Updated VBIOS from Sapphire. Fixes Black Screen and still has PowerPlay enabled. It works on ASUS and Sapphire boards. I expect it to work on other 260X too, but I can't confirm it as I don't have the hardware.

It does not come with UEFI GOP, but other than that, it's the best 260X VBIOS ever. I am running it on an ASUS 260X OC.

15. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    So far this BIOS is GREAT!

Some info:

I hope ASUS will release a new BIOS update with Power Saving enabled but indeed - currently this is the BEST vBIOS for R7 260X 2GB

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

16. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB

May I know where do you get this VBIOS? Cause I can't seem to find it at sapphire website.

17. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    I guess he got it from Sapphire Support.

18. d2kx

d2kx Active Member

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2089881/sapphire-260x-black-screen/page-7.html#13779218

Posts from 23.07.2014 onwards.

Cannot recommend it enough. While the ASUS "update" was basicly the old ****ty VBIOS just with PowerPlay removed, this one seems to have a proper fix included. No black screens yet and, to my surprise, not even artifacts in 2D/Chrome yet.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  19. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    Still not perfect, the card doesn't wake up after the monitor turns off don't know if this is a driver/bios bug, but I'm sure it's related to ZeroCore.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  20. razorbackdb

razorbackdb Member

GPU:
    AMD R7 260x 2GB
    i think that's a driver issue, other cards have it as well.