Objects standing out in odd colors

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by RdJokr, Jul 12, 2014.

1. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    I started up a similar thread on Geforce forums, but hasn't been able to get a lot of helps, so I figure I might give it a try here. Also, please forgive the fact that I can't link the images here, I don't have enough posts yet.

Recently, I started to notice some rather strange effects when I play games. Objects would stand out in some areas (mostly when there are smoke/fog). Most of the time it's facial hair, but there have been other cases. Here's what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see from the above screenshots, the thugs' hair and beard glow while they are caught in the smoke, when they should just fade like the rest of their body.

Another example in Black Ops 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the screens above, you can notice the wires on the left glowing a faint white color (without any smoke/fog whatsoever), while the metal bars in the middle also glow the same fainting color in foggy areas.

And then there's the infamous "black character model and occasionally glowing hair" issue in Black Ops 1. This is most commonly seen when using flashlights on human NPCs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far, I have experienced this in the Batman Arkham games (all 3 of them), BioShock Infinite, and COD Black Ops 1-2. That leaves out the possibility of this being a game problem (different games, different engines). I believe this to be a driver problem.

Now before you ask, I have never experienced the issues mentioned above when using an AMD card (I previously switched from an inferior HD 6670 to a GTX 750 Ti). A member on Geforce forums also pointed out that it might have to do with a bug produced as a result of using ambient occlusion, but unfortunately that wasn't the case either. I have tried messing around with NVIDIA Inspector to see if I could remove this problem, but sadly it doesn't seem to go away (or maybe I haven't found the right setting to tinker with yet).

Hope to see if someone can acknowledge my issues, and maybe help me in fixing it if possible.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Have you tried a clean install using DDU of the latest drivers? Sometimes using a new video card, especially when switching from red to green (or vice versa), can cause issues.

Try this order, just to be 100% SURE
    Disable automatic installation of drivers in windows
    Uninstall current NV drivers normally
    restart
    Run DDU (might be best to use safemode)
    restart
    Install new drivers
    restart

3. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    No it probably wasn't that. I did a clean OS install before putting the new card in, so that couldn't have been the problem.

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    That happens to me lots of times in games , in all cases its caused by ambient occlusion , at least that's the case for me. I don't mind it so i never searched for a fix.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    yep that's AO bug, its how it is.. Ie 1st screen -Batman.

Look how bad it can get in something like COD4 MW with forced AO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    ^ I can see that. But I'm only using in-game AO, not NVCP forced AO. Or is this like an NVIDIA thing and I just have to live with it?

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah there is nothing you can do about it since its hard-coded inside the game..

8. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    "Cheats"

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    lol that's true xD

10. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    So I tried to disable AO in-game and test it out, but it didn't change a bit (well, other than AO being absent in-game).
    I think that this might have something to do more with how NVIDIA renders transparent texture (hair, fences, leaves,...). Most of the objects that stand out in smoke I've seen so far are all transparent stuff (as opposed to Tj's COD4 screens above where everything shows up in the smokescreen)

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Can't say I'm experiencing what you posted in the pics, what drivers are you using? Tried different ones? Might be worth using DDU.

12. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    All drivers produce the same result, sadly. Though it doesn't say much, since the 750 Ti is a recent card, so there aren't a lot of drivers that support it (only 5, from 334.89 to 340.43 to be exact).
    And DDU was the first thing I tried.

13. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    are you absolutely positive it didnt happen on amd, cuz i am expecting it happens to everyone, as in, it's probably the game's fault

otherwise... we need people to take screenshots of the exact same areas to confirm

14. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    I will said that, if you are Windows 8+, you may wanna try just disable the display driver, and fall back to WARP driver to see did software rendering is having the similar issues or not, even WARP performance is very slow. :)

15. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    When I had this problem, it was on Windows 7. Now I'm on Windows 8.1, and it's still happening.

16. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Nope, I don't said it is System issues, but I say that you can try using the old Software Rasterization to see did it is a game issues or hardware/driver issues.:)

Just like MS said, you can using WARP to check for rendering issues.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/gg615082(v=vs.85).aspx

17. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    So how exactly do I use WARP then? Just disable my graphics card driver? Wouldn't that just mean I'd end up with a black screen, since my card is disabled?

18. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Nope, I tried a few times, it is falling back to WARP.

If you don't wanna do that, just uninstall your graphic card driver, then it will loaded the WARP driver too.(if you don't left any driver in the driver store.)

PS:The driver name is "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"

19. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    Well, I managed to switch to WARP. Boy it was a pain trying to start up the game.
    Still, after 5 minutes of struggling to get inside a challenge map in Arkham City, I managed to throw a smoke grenade, and there's no sight of visible facial hair in smoke clouds anymore. The game crashed on me before I could take a screenshot though.
    Yup, it's an NVIDIA render issue. A bad one. I suppose I could try to report this to someone on the Geforce forum, but they seem to ignore stuffs like this very easily.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  20. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Hmm, maybe Nvidia somehow using their own HBAO+ on the game?
    Or it is PhysX effect?

You can force disable PhysX GPU effect by just removing the CUDA GPU at the Nvidia control panel.