XFX Pro 1250w power on issue!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BarryB, Jul 10, 2014.

1. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Have a system with an XFX Pro 1250w that doesn't want to power the system on until you've switched it on/off multiple times! Been working fine for months but now this issue.

The system will power on from the power button once in a blue moon (Cosmos 2 case) but if you flick the switch on the PSU a few times it fires up the system? Mobo is an ASUS P6T Deluxe 2 with onboard Power Button which also does not power up the system, lights on the board are lit so power is getting to the board but the case power button won't turn it on! Have swapped the Reset and Power connectors on the ASUS Q-Connector to eliminate a faulty Power Button and use the Reset button to power on but exactly the same thing happens, it won't power on from the front panel reset button.

Any one had this issue with XFX PSU's? Is it a faulty PSU or PSU switch?

Also reset the BIOS but that didn't do anything but lose my OC Profile :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Sounds like a faulty PSU.

Are you using the Corsair power supply now as listed in specs?

3. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    No, this problem is another system a mate has! I've found a spare PC Power and Cooling 750w PSU so i'm going to try that when he's available and see if it works, if it does it's RMA time!!

4. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Have now determined it is a faulty XFX PSU.

Installed a 750w PSU into his system and it now powers on via the power button on the case first time, every time! So that shows that the power button on the case is OK and the fault is down to the XFX PSU! I put the XFX PSU back in his system and now it won't power up using the power button on the case!

He's now contacting the place he bought it from to see if they deal with the RMA or XFX, it was purchased Feb 2013!

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Shame to hear the PSU is fubar, they're Seasonic designs so they're usually spot on. Hope the RMA is painless.

6. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Well, the PSU he replaced was an Enermax Galaxy 1kw! That was still working fine when he sold it and has outlasted the XFX one by a long way!

We'll find out in the coming weeks if the RMA is painless, he has read on various forums previously that XFX have a bad reputation when it comes to customer service!

7. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    *UPDATE*

The place he purchased it from says to send it back to XFX as it's over 1 year old, except all EU countries are now covered by a 2 year warranty not 1 year so I've fired back quoting EU Directive 99/44/EC which clearly says all consumers in EU countries are covered by a 2 year warranty! Think they are hoping no one knows about this law. However, if they disagree the Sale Of Goods Act provides cover for upto 6 years so might have to hit them with that one and a call to Trading Standards to clarify :)

8. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    *UPDATE 2*

So, the place he bought it from agreed to send it back for him, that was over a month ago and he's been checking his emails but has had no updates from them since he sent it back, only his account on the vendors website had updates and a few days ago his account says he's been refunded! He's now going to check his bank account each day next week to see if they have, and see if they email him about it. No reason in his account is given for the refund so if they do refund he's looking for a new PSU, but it won't be an XFX PSU, that's for sure!!

9. DoNotBelieve

DoNotBelieve Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780
    Hello XFX Black Edition 1250w 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU has been discontinued from Ebuyer. Wonder why. I have had 2 with the same problem above. System will not start up from PC case power button, however turning PSU button off then on starts it.

I will never buy a XFX PSU again. May stay away from all there products. :p

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    May as well stay away from all Seasonic since thats what the XFX is.

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Was about to post just that.

12. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Yup, no manufacture is immune to having a defective unit. Just the better brands are fewer between and have the warranty, CS and easy RMA process to back them up.

13. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    They only do a 1kw PSU now, the XTS! With the refund he's now got a Corsair AX1200i, which was cheapest on Ebuyer so he bought it. Corsair used Flextronics to manufacture this PSU to their design.