AMD Adds Game DVR Beta to Raptr(AKA Shadowplay)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gerardfraser, Jun 22, 2014.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    EDIT: Crossfire is now supported,also lots of fixes.Works great July 28 2014.

Searched forum and I seen no news on this.Not even sure how I missed this.

Well looks like japamd (RadeonPro and other great tools)may be having an effect on the Raptr team.
    Wow works great at recording game play with no real hit on FPS.
    I Tested Crysis3,Crysis2,Tombraider,Batman Origins and a few others.
    Crossfire not supported at this time,but I did not even care.
    Great features I like it very much.

Of course Game DVR is very much in beta So the Raptr team needs your support and report any bugs you find AMD Gaming Evolved Feedback

Now from the Raptr Team

We’ve just released an update to the AMD Gaming Evolved client that’s tuned to streamline your experience, and we’ve also added several video-related features that utilize H.264 video encoding to enable high-quality video capture with virtually no impact on performance.

Restart your AMD Gaming Evolved client to update, or new users can download it here. Highlights:

1) We’ve dramatically redesigned the client UI, making it even faster and easier to use. The most-used (and now, most-requested) features are front-and-center, enabling one-click access to all the key functionality we’ve packed into Gaming Evolved.

2) Game DVR beta: Game DVR continuously records the last 10 minutes of your gameplay, enabling you to instantly save a replay of a cool moment that happened while playing.

3) Manual start and stop video recording.

4) We’ve further expanded the library of optimized games supported, enabling you to maximize performance and quality across more than 200 of the most popular PC games -- again with just a single click of your mouse.

The Gaming Evolved client has always been designed to enhance as many aspects of your PC gaming as possible, and with the introduction today of new, automated DVR and streaming features, we’re taking that concept to another level.

Game DVR beta

From the Home tab in the client, simply click Record to activate Game DVR. With our Replay capability, we automatically record your last 15 seconds of gameplay time (by default -- you can bump that all the way up to 10 minutes), then save a clip when you hit Page Up + K. And with Record, you can start and stop gameplay capture at any time with Page Up + R. You can then use the Gallery to upload clips directly to Youtube.

These features are optimized for gamers with AMD Radeon graphics cards and APUs, utilizing AMD’s VCE block. Game DVR works with just about any game the client can detect, regardless of whether it has in-game support or not. Look for the DVR icon by games in your AMD Gaming Evolved Library.

We’ve also redesigned our communities to better highlight your video clips, with more improvements coming soon. And while you’re in video mode, don’t forget our Twitch streaming, which recently got a big upgrade with more in-depth video configuration, webcam support, and more.

Keep in mind that Game DVR is very much in beta. We know we’ve got some room for improvement, and we’re working hard to give you the best experience possible.

For more info about Game DVR, here's a FAQ. For information about supported graphics cards, we've got that here.

We'd definitely like to get your feedback on what works and could be improved -- please let us know in this Game DVR beta feedback thread!

EDIT: Did some actual benchmarks with DVR on/off.No real difference in FPS.Great tool
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Excellent! Going to download this now, never really bothered trying Raptr yet.

3. mayberry1

mayberry1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 660 Ti FTW+
    This is great news! I'm going to have to try this and see how well it works. I've been waiting for some kind of similar ShadowPlay functionality for AMD cards.

4. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Gave it a quick try out. Set the replay setting to 10 minutes and didn't notice any lag or framedrops in games while it was running and the rendered files were pretty small. Doesn't have 16:10 resolutions listed (yet)

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    No FPS hit,did a few benches and made a chart.Looks good so far.

6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970
    Tried this on Far Cry 3 tonight on my 7970. So far, not bad, but I'd like to see them go to 20 minute max shadowing like Nvidia's ShadowPlay.

Also, I can deal with FPS presets for the output file, but I'm getting only 25 FPS actual when using the 30 setting according to the file's details in it's properties.

My 7970 doesn't have the I & B frames and DEM improvements of VCE 2.0, but it's just nice to finally have an instant replay option without playing a race game with built-in replay.

Gaming Evolved's "Optimizer" really sucks though. Tried it for the first time out of curiosity and ended up reverting back to MY settings on every game I used it on.

Seems AMD's software is fine, as long as it's written by someone else. :D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  7. johnnyman28

johnnyman28 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290 DirectCU II
    guys which one to download?raptr or or AMD's raptr?

8. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Its the same thing.Does not matter.

9. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Heh, I had a similar problem - it 'optimized' a few games and I thought I would try out Witcher 2 with these new settings, not only were the settings lower than I normally run it at but the framerate was cut in half! Changed it back to what it was and I was running at 60FPS 90% of the time again.

Guess the optimizer needs optimizing a little more :p

Edit: Nice chart, gerardfraser!

10. johnnyman28

johnnyman28 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290 DirectCU II
    thx m8!!:)

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    EDIT: Crossfire is now supported,also lots of fixes.Works great.

12. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    AMD must save a fortune on research, they just wait for Nvidia to do the research then just copy the idea.

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
  14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Not really, AMD GPU's have had this technology built in for ages now since 7000 series if I am not mistaken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEyc...eature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_2638870471

The community made their own program for it.

Its just a codec that uses the onboard hardware on the 7000 (GCN) GPU's.

You can enable the codec in DXTORY, MSI AB, etc

Download it here
    https://github.com/jackun/openencodevfw/archive/master.zip

[​IMG]

15. WittyScreenName

WittyScreenName Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire r7 260x 2gb
    Curious,how much hard drive space would it reserve for a potential 20 min 1080p 60fps vid?

16. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    aparently it was updated today.

now 20 minute buffer, and crossfire support.

It works for AMD and Nvidia...interesting..

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Seriously? :eek3:
    Can anyone confirm this? Would like to try that one out for sure!

18. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
  19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh, okay, again no support for 5xx cards, just like shadow play.
    The only question remaining, for what should I go for raptr if I can get shadow play anyway... Is there a difference in performance? If I had an appropriate card I'd try that...

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    There are a couple of interesting features like twitch integration, and Mic/webcam PIP integration..

It might just be marketing mumbo jumbo, but they said it works on over 5000 games vs 170 or so for shadow play.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014