How to Mod Watch Dogs entirely - Full Tutorial

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by AlphaZ, Jun 16, 2014.

1. AlphaZ

AlphaZ Guest

GPU:
    TriSli 780ti
    How to Mod Watch Dogs entirely - Full Tutorial

This tutorial will explain step by step how to fully mod Watch Dogs by yourself. I will update the tutorial when he gives me more.

Since there is too much weird stuff going on about Watch Dogs modding, i received this tutorial from the first person that modded it so here i share it for everyone.

This is for the modders community and everyone as it is pretty easy to follow every step and fully mod Watch Dogs by your own.

This way there is no need for people stealing, making stories, registering from other forums telling lies everywhere coming here and the list goes on.

Step 1:

First of all you have to use Patch.fat and Patch.dat for modding, like in FC3 modding.

There is no patch.fat/dat in WD release, but you can create it.

Just make a folder anywhere called Patch , there you will place all modifications from the game files that will be described in this tutorial.

The first thing you must do is decrypt the files : \data_win64\common.fat and worlds\windy_city\windy_city.fat

Just copy both files to some folder with the Gibbed.Disrupt tools: download from here: svn.gib.me/builds/disrupt/?C=M;O=D

And once there use :

"Gibbed.Disrupt.unpack common.fat X:\FOLDER ( where you will place the decrypted folders ) "

"Gibbed.Disrupt.unpack windy_city.fat X:\FOLDER ( where you will place the decrypted folders ) "

Now that you have all game files decrypted here are the files you must consider:

\engine\settings\defaultrenderconfig.xml ( default render config file , aka the XML automated settings )
    \engine\settings\defaultengineconfig.xml ( default engine config file )
    \engine\settings\defaulthreadingconfig.xml ( default threading config file )
    \engine\settings\defaultgameconfig.xml ( default game config file )
    \engine\shaders\materialdescriptors\* ( where you can find the material settings for every part of the game, like for example parallax or sub surface fake and space scattering )
    \engine\shaders\materialdescriptors\ui\* ( data classes, reflection classes, specular classes , etc )
    \Windycity\worlds\windy_city\generated\windy_city.game.xml ( Main game rendering config and most important file )
    \generated\deploadnewparticles.rml ( particle main settings )
    \generated\databases\generic\* ( Libraries, like bloom, sky, clouds, lighting, fog, cameracontext ( bokeh ) , lighteffects, windenvironment, etc etc )

And for the Huge modders, there is the textures , gfx, environment , etc for modding : \graphics\*

For a simple explanation on how to instantly change your game visuals , lets use windy_city.game.xml file showing this off:

Here you can tweak:

-Weather system
    -E3/actual wheater presets
    -Fog
    -Bloom
    -Lighting
    -Wind/Physics
    -Fluid system
    -Blackouts settings
    -The building reflection textures
    -The sampleCUBE for texturing
    -The Water System
    -The Rain System
    -Time of the day
    -Cycling weather settings
    -Some more

For extracting this file that has been encrypted as RML and renamed to XML in the game, place the file where you have the Gibbed.Disrupt tools and type: "Gibbed.Disrupt.Convertxml --xml windy_city.game.xml"
    It will decrypt the RML to actual XML calling it "windy_city.xml"

There you will be able to see the inside and modify.

After you modify ( check the tutorial below ) you have to recrypt it using this: "Gibbed.Disrupt.Convertxml --rml windy_city.xml"

There you will get a file called: windy_city_converted.rml , just rename this file to the original name in the game "windy_city.game.xml" and place it at the original folder in the game :
    \Windycity\worlds\windy_city\generated\ ( in your patch folder )

Here is how it looks like inside and i will point every section and how to modify:

Download the TXT file here since its too big for the forum:
    XXX7.zippyshare.com/v/99577012/file.html

Replace X for W.

For another example of getting instant changes, lets use now:

\generated\databases\generic\* ( Libraries, like bloom, sky, clouds, lighting, fog, cameracontext ( bokeh ) , lighteffects, windenvironment, etc etc )

Lets say you want to change cloud settings, find the file "clouds.lib"

Copy the file to some folder with the Gibbed tools.

Drag and drop cloulds.lib to the file "Gibbed.Disrupt.ConvertBinaryObject"

It will generate a folder and a file. The file will be XML including all the library names. And the folder will be the library in XML where you can edit anything you want.

For editing easy, follow this example:

For the Storm clouds find this file in the generated folder with XML: "Storm.Storm.xml"

Open it with notepad++ and see the inside:

<object hash="72DE4948">
    <field hash="61FC6B02" type="BinHex" />
    <field hash="9D8873F8" type="BinHex">53746F726D2E53746F726D00</field>
    <field hash="B9295CC7" type="BinHex">8CB67E39</field>
    <field hash="389F6DA7" type="BinHex">8CB67E39</field>
    <field hash="41707B6D" type="BinHex">0000803F0000803F0000803F</field>
    <field hash="7E8CD122" type="BinHex">0AD7233C</field>
    <field hash="C8051DEE" type="BinHex">0000803F</field>
    <object hash="2E361B4C"> --- HERE START COPYING FROM OTHER PRESET AND PASTE IT RIGHT HERE , NOT IN ANOTHER LINE.

For example, open as well "07_Pills.Carmageddon_Cloud.xml"

And also check the inside:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <object hash="72DE4948">
    <field hash="61FC6B02" type="BinHex" />
    <field hash="9D8873F8" type="BinHex">30375F50696C6C732E4361726D61676564646F6E5F436C6F756400</field>
    <field hash="B9295CC7" type="BinHex">C188C3A8</field>
    <field hash="389F6DA7" type="BinHex">C188C3A8</field>
    <field hash="41707B6D" type="BinHex">0000803F0000803F0000803F</field>
    <field hash="7E8CD122" type="BinHex">CDCC4C3E</field>
    <field hash="C8051DEE" type="BinHex">CDCC4C3F</field>
    <object hash="2E361B4C"> --- COPY EVERYTHING FROM THIS LINE TO THE END AND PASTE IT TO THE SAME LINE IN THE "Storm.Storm.xml"

Save the "Storm.Storm.xml" and you will have the carmageddon clouds at the common storm preset in the game.

This method works for any library in the game, do the same and you will see instant changes for any library, doesnt matter what it is for.

I will update the tutorial with more info later.

Now that you have tweaked what you wanted, you have to make the patch.fat/dat files .

For this use :

Gibbed.Disrupt.pack patch.fat X:\FOLDER ( the folder you placed all the modification files with exact folders )

There you will get a patch.fat/dat and you just place it at the data_win64 folder of the game and thats it.

I will keep updating this tutorial , since there is too much stuff to mention and explain in one time, but from this you can get a pretty good idea and start tweaking the game by yourself.

I hope this is useful to the community.

2. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Good idea mate, thx for that :)

3. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    You did a good job explaining. One thing I'd explain a bit better is you can just drag and drop folders/files onto the appropriate executable.

I dump everything I mod into a /patch/ folder.. Then just drag and drop the folder onto the packing executable and the patch.fat/dat file names are created.. No need for renaming etc.

4. AlphaZ

AlphaZ Guest

GPU:
    TriSli 780ti
    Yes you can drag and drop files to the appropiate executable, except for the Windy_City.game.xml and Ubisoft renamed it from its original extension (RML) just to confuse modders.

That one is the only one you must do it by command line like explained in the tutorial, and thats the most important file, again the reason why Ubisoft hidden it that way to the modders.

I will keep updating the tutorial when he gives me more info.

5. AlphaZ

AlphaZ Guest

GPU:
    TriSli 780ti
    Yes as far as i know thats what he explained me.

You can drag and drop any file to the appropriate executable except the windy_city.game.xml that Ubisoft renamed from the original file RML to hide it from modders, and thats one of the most important files in the game.

That one you must use command line like explained. The rest you can drag and drop.

I will keep updating the tutorial for everything else when he gives me more info.

6. AlphaZ

AlphaZ Guest

GPU:
    TriSli 780ti
    Yes as far as i know thats what he explained me.

You can drag and drop any file to the appropriate executable except the windy_city.game.xml that Ubisoft renamed from the original file RML to hide it from modders, and thats one of the most important files in the game.

That one you must use command line like explained. The rest you can drag and drop.

I will keep updating the tutorial for everything else when he gives me more info.

7. AlphaZ

AlphaZ Guest

GPU:
    TriSli 780ti
    Not my idea but it helps the community and cleans up everything.

8. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Problem is, lots of us who knew how to do it, are absolutely terrible at explaining and teaching. lol.. The fact you could clearly explain in layman's terms so those who didn't know how could easily do it is a skill among itself.. :)

9. AlphaZ

AlphaZ Guest

GPU:
    TriSli 780ti
    Yes thats the reason i made the thread to let things explained correctly so anyone can mod Watch Dogs and give an end to this mess that happened with some people talking , registering and making stories. I didnt make the tutorial, is from the person that actually took the time to Mod Watch Dogs.

There is too much weird stuff going on so i decided to share this tutorial, im just sharing.

And because there is some evil people out there and i really dont like that happening.

10. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    Now that's the spirit. I love it when people share their knowledge with the others.

Edit: Wait a minute, Kad, is that you? Gotta admit, had a good laugh over this one. Still good to see you decided to share your knowledge, though.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

11. DarkSidesHero

DarkSidesHero Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7990
    Wow AMAZING THREAD. Thanks so much for this!

12. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    I wonder could windy_city. game.xml be parsed by Ubisofts Disrupt Editor directly for changing the map settings based on the map name ?

btw it is also possible to extract the .dds textures ubisoft calls them .xbt so you can change them from .xbt to .dds then modify them change them back and voila your own textures in game :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Why... do we have four Watch_Dog threads? With three of them about modding the game?

14. Rafael144

Rafael144 Guest

GPU:
    8 gb
    Anyone know how to remove the hit indicator?

15. AlphaZ

AlphaZ Guest

GPU:
    TriSli 780ti
    Yes you can do that as its explained.

And the original modder just told me you can add Snow to the game as well.

16. TheWorse

TheWorse Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX680@1300/6900
    Snow to the game? that's not even included into the files

17. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Is so obvious.

18. AlphaZ

AlphaZ Guest

GPU:
    TriSli 780ti
    Yes it is because he shown me and its also a real file : snowflake xbt

The problem here that you got your story so well created that a lot of people believed your supposed mod and creation by just reading fake users registered here telling in your thread how awesome your "work" was.

A lot of people here pointed that but as you keep registering new users congratulating you at your thread , the new users gets confused and attracted to your story.

Its pretty nice you want attention but the original modder made all you did in your mod and a lot of more stuff. Including Parallax, SubSurface, that i see you said it was fake as well, when there is files for that too.

Im just sharing the tutorial so anyone can mod Watch Dogs. There is nothing wrong with modding Watch Dogs as that was the main reason the original modder did this.

But what you did is another story that comes from where you belong, that is a pretty weird not well seen in Argentina, 3DG forum, contaminated with people like you.

You can think and be happy having created your supposed credit but the honest people knows you don't deserve anything, as for your attitude and the way you registered like 3 accounts here and asked your friends from 3DG Argentina to support your thread, after Kadzait24 accepted your collaboration you just refused when you got everything to "mod" it. But you are not modding, you are just uploading Kadzait24 work from time to time.

Why you dont share the tutorial like im doing now? Isnt supposed you are the man right now ?

With your attitude registering people in propose and making look Kadzait24 work like anything, when in the books he did everything for you.

Now please stay away from this topic as i dont really want to deal with you over here.

19. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Oh dear baby jesus jumping on a pogo stick

We have moved on from stealing work accusations to now enlisting an army of fake users accusations.

I fell for the initial post.. What a lunatic.

20. TheWorse

TheWorse Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX680@1300/6900
    Kad you don't need to be that upset. And parallax occlusion mapping is not available because it never existed. I'm not going to talk about the rest ofcourse.