Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

multiple instances of rtsshooksloader64.exe
Old
  (#1)
dsbig
Maha Guru

Videocard: evga 780 classified
Processor: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.3ghz
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 16gb 1920mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZxR
PSU: Kingwin 850 watts
Default multiple instances of rtsshooksloader64.exe - 06-08-2014, 17:26 | posts: 2,528 | Location: in your closet

why oh why do I have 18 instances of rtshooksloader64.exe showing in processes in task manager.

is it really saying I have 18 programs that it hooked it. but yet no program is showing it.

Old
  (#2)
EdKiefer
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI 660ti PE
Processor: 3570k
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77V pro
Memory: DDR3 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair XT650
Default 06-08-2014, 18:34 | posts: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbig View Post
why oh why do I have 18 instances of rtshooksloader64.exe showing in processes in task manager.

is it really saying I have 18 programs that it hooked it. but yet no program is showing it.
Go to your MSI AB folder , open the MSIafterburner.cfg file and add a delay to startup , this helps many people with this issue .
Under setting section change line to this

StartupDelay= 20000

This will add 20sec to startup .

Old
  (#3)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI R9 290 GAMING TF 4GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.9GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: 5.1 Surround
PSU: Corsair TX950
Default 06-08-2014, 18:35 | posts: 5,801 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Ive got 3 instances

Old
  (#4)
EdKiefer
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-08-2014, 18:43 | posts: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
Ive got 3 instances
I have only one .
try this , close AB and restart it and see what shows .

Old
  (#5)
Andy_K
Member Guru

Videocard: AMD/ATI HD4850
Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 2440MHz
Mainboard: ASRock 4Core1600Twins-P35
Memory: Kingston DDR3 PC3-10600
Soundcard: RealTek ALC888
PSU: HEC 450W
Default 06-10-2014, 10:51 | posts: 83 | Location: Germany

Hi Ed, I have set a StartupDelay of 60000 and still get some time multiple instances.

I think it's because I have an old PC (Q6600 @2.4) which is not so fast starting the instance and RTSS doesn't wait (enough) checking if the HookLoader is started or not and firing up the next instance.

Old
  (#6)
EdKiefer
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-10-2014, 12:07 | posts: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
Hi Ed, I have set a StartupDelay of 60000 and still get some time multiple instances.

I think it's because I have an old PC (Q6600 @2.4) which is not so fast starting the instance and RTSS doesn't wait (enough) checking if the HookLoader is started or not and firing up the next instance.
try different times to see if it helps , but if you go to far on time UAC may kick in .
What I did was use a app that shows load time of each process then pick delay were nothing happening .

Old
  (#7)
dsbig
Maha Guru

Videocard: evga 780 classified
Processor: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.3ghz
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 16gb 1920mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZxR
PSU: Kingwin 850 watts
Default 06-10-2014, 14:07 | posts: 2,528 | Location: in your closet

I uninstall and reinstalled and it created instances. and updated it too. and it went to almost 100 instances..

this is happening in windows 7. and the system takes a while to load because of all the stuff I have set to run at bootup.

I havent check windows 8 yet. I redid my drive and I have to restore my windows 8 backup image. then I can check.

Last edited by dsbig; 06-10-2014 at 14:17.

Old
  (#8)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default 06-10-2014, 14:40 | posts: 20,474 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbig View Post
I uninstall and reinstalled and it created instances. and updated it too. and it went to almost 100 instances..

this is happening in windows 7. and the system takes a while to load because of all the stuff I have set to run at bootup.

I haven't check windows 8 yet. I redid my drive and I have to restore my windows 8 backup image. then I can check.
100 instances is ridiculous. You are running heaps of applications @ startup which seems to be causing this. Likely using a HDD and a gazillion startup apps ? You need to delay AB from loading.

Measure how much time your system needs before it stops loading stuff at desktop. Input that timeframe into the MSIafterburner.cfg

If you need 60 secs ...

StartupDelay= 60000

But it is better to eliminate the actual root issue ...

Follow Guru3D on twitter.
Follow Guru3D on facebook.

Old
  (#9)
EdKiefer
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-10-2014, 15:14 | posts: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn View Post
100 instances is ridiculous. You are running heaps of applications @ startup which seems to be causing this. Likely using a HDD and a gazillion startup apps ? You need to delay AB from loading.

Measure how much time your system needs before it stops loading stuff at desktop. Input that timeframe into the MSIafterburner.cfg

If you need 60 secs ...

StartupDelay= 60000

But it is better to eliminate the actual root issue ...
I get the instance issue (few instances of RTSShooksloader64.exe )maybe once a week or two at startup but I consider my system pretty barebones as far as having many startup app .
At windows after restart w/o AB loaded I got like 50 processes with 6 listed in startup . I do use HDD and win boots in under 30sec , but the delay stops it for me .
I could use less delay i am sure, something like 10sec would probably work too but i play it safe with slightly more .

This started with 3.0 when 64bit app compatibility .
I think its just the way the processes load off AB, AB, then RTSS , then RTSShooksloader64 , one triggers the next it seems (RTSS and RTSShooksloader64 seem to load same time ) .

Edit : looks like all pproceses to start at startup are done in 23sec , only thing loading after that are delayed services

Last edited by EdKiefer; 06-10-2014 at 15:25.

Old
  (#10)
Andy_K
Member Guru

Default 06-10-2014, 23:08 | posts: 83 | Location: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKiefer View Post
I think its just the way the processes load off AB, AB, then RTSS , then RTSShooksloader64 , one triggers the next it seems (RTSS and RTSShooksloader64 seem to load same time ) .
With Sysinternals ProcessExplorer you can see the dependencies.
AB is starting RTSS
RTSS is starting RTSSHooksLoader64 and the EncoderServer

What tool did you use to measure the startup timings?

Last edited by Andy_K; 06-10-2014 at 23:12.

Old
  (#11)
EdKiefer
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-11-2014, 00:03 | posts: 396

Quote:
With Sysinternals ProcessExplorer you can see the dependencies.
AB is starting RTSS
RTSS is starting RTSSHooksLoader64 and the EncoderServer

What tool did you use to measure the startup timings?
Yes, PE is good to show that linking .
I used ProcessLasso cause I have it here running but I also use processexplorer .
You have to add the column start time to PE , then you see timestamp of each process when it started .

Last edited by EdKiefer; 06-11-2014 at 00:09.

Old
  (#12)
RaXelliX
Member Guru

Videocard: AMD Radeon 7870 Tahiti LE
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS SaberTooth P67
Memory: 4x4GB DDR3 @1867Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek ALC-892 Int.
PSU: Corsair HX1000
Default 06-12-2014, 12:04 | posts: 148 | Location: Tallinn

I was gonna make a new topic for this but no need now. I too have double and sometimes even tripe instances of both RTSSHooksLoader64.exe & EncoderServer64.exe

I havent seen more than 3 instances tho. Not sure what causes this. I added the delay 20000 - we'll see if this helps.

Old
  (#13)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 06-12-2014, 12:36 | posts: 11,390 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

N new instances of RTSSHooksLoader64 means that it was started and DIDN'T respond during N seconds (handshake with RTSSHooksLoader64 is being performed once per second and new instance is being started if there is no response received).
The most real scenario is AV keeping the process frozen in sandbox during startup while lots of other applications are being loaded. Fixes are either delaying AB startup with settings provided above or configuring AV to prevent it from freezing RTSSHooksLoader64 during OS startup.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#14)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 06-12-2014, 15:22 | posts: 11,390 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

I'll try to add some internal delays to RTSS<->RTSSHooksLoader64 handshaking implementation, so RTSS won't be allowed to spawn new instances on RTSSHooksLoader64 during some period of time (user defined via CFG). I'll set it to 10 seconds by default. Let's see if it help addressing issue on your systems.

Old
  (#15)
EdKiefer
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-12-2014, 16:24 | posts: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
I'll try to add some internal delays to RTSS<->RTSSHooksLoader64 handshaking implementation, so RTSS won't be allowed to spawn new instances on RTSSHooksLoader64 during some period of time (user defined via CFG). I'll set it to 10 seconds by default. Let's see if it help addressing issue on your systems.
I think that will help, I don't run any AV so thats not what caused my issue .
I also got a pop up message that RTSShookloader64,exe had a problem , along with event viewer log .
I think I had only 2 or maybe 3 instances , I have lower my delay to 12sec now and seems I still have room to lower , but every system is different . I think its just the daisy chain of loading all processes off AB that doing it .

Old
  (#16)
BenYeeHua
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus 650M D3
Processor: I5-3210M
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Laptop 90W Adapter
Default 06-12-2014, 23:15 | posts: 1,371

Quote:
I think that will help, I don't run any AV so thats not what caused my issue .
I also got a pop up message that RTSShookloader64,exe had a problem , along with event viewer log .
I think I had only 2 or maybe 3 instances , I have lower my delay to 12sec now and seems I still have room to lower , but every system is different . I think its just the daisy chain of loading all processes off AB that doing it .
And did other software inject the dll into it?
Sometimes the software don't working well is because of the dll that it don't design to compatibility with it.

Old
  (#17)
Andy_K
Member Guru

Default 06-12-2014, 23:18 | posts: 83 | Location: Germany

Quote:
N new instances of RTSSHooksLoader64 means that it was started and DIDN'T respond during N seconds (handshake with RTSSHooksLoader64 is being performed once per second and new instance is being started if there is no response received).
I have set StartupDelay to 120000 and my screenshot from pc-startup this morning shows three RTSSHooksloader64, where the last two are in the same second:

I'll add RTSS, RTSSHooksloader64 and EncoderServer to the exceptions for realtime scanner of my AV and see what's happening tomorrow morning.
[edit]
Wait... I was on my way to set these as exceptions and I already set them in my AV.
So this is not the fault. Too bad.
[/edit]

Quote:
Would be great to overcome this issue.

Thanks for investigate into it.

My worst case was this, some time ago, without having set StartupDelay.
I wasn't able to close all the instances before new respawn and I had to kill whole process tree starting with MSI AB.

Last edited by Andy_K; 06-12-2014 at 23:26.

Old
  (#18)
EdKiefer
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-12-2014, 23:41 | posts: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenYeeHua View Post
And did other software inject the dll into it?
Sometimes the software don't working well is because of the dll that it don't design to compatibility with it.
like what for example , I have very little loading that not windows stuff, only Nvidia basic driver , physicx , Realtech audio and mouse LGS , thats it .

Old
  (#19)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 06-13-2014, 09:01 | posts: 11,390 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Give it a try
http://ftp.se.kde.org/pub/games/PC/g...613-Guru3D.zip

Old
  (#20)
EdKiefer
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-13-2014, 13:10 | posts: 396

Quote:
I have set StartupDelay to 120000 and my screenshot from pc-startup this morning shows three RTSSHooksloader64, where the last two are in the same second:

I'll add RTSS, RTSSHooksloader64 and EncoderServer to the exceptions for realtime scanner of my AV and see what's happening tomorrow morning.
[edit]
Wait... I was on my way to set these as exceptions and I already set them in my AV.
So this is not the fault. Too bad.
[/edit]

Would be great to overcome this issue.
[/URL]
Looking at top PE window I don't see anything near, loading at time of RTSS and RTSSHooksloader64 (unless below has some) in the 7:26:xx to &:29:xx time span .

Old
  (#21)
BenYeeHua
Maha Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 06-13-2014, 15:22 | posts: 1,371

Quote:
like what for example , I have very little loading that not windows stuff, only Nvidia basic driver , physicx , Realtech audio and mouse LGS , thats it .
Yup, LGS should not causing it(it only still using the hardware acceleration after closing to the tray, and it should not be the cause), as this issues don't happen with me.

But you can still check did there are strange dll loaded into the process, by using Process Explorer.

Old
  (#22)
EdKiefer
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-13-2014, 16:22 | posts: 396

Quote:
Yup, LGS should not causing it(it only still using the hardware acceleration after closing to the tray, and it should not be the cause), as this issues don't happen with me.

But you can still check did there are strange dll loaded into the process, by using Process Explorer.
with LGS options I have it not enable the enhanced graphic and high res textures . So it can't even run 3d clocks , plus have profile in RTSS to disable it anyway .

When you say inject dll , into which process ?
RTSS, AB etc , I do see RTSS hook dll in many processes with PE .

Maybe we should go PM for this as don't want to side track this posting much, unless we find something .

Old
  (#23)
Andy_K
Member Guru

Default 06-13-2014, 21:08 | posts: 83 | Location: Germany

Quote:
Thanks, I will report tomorrow morning.

Old
  (#24)
BenYeeHua
Maha Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 06-13-2014, 21:58 | posts: 1,371

Quote:
with LGS options I have it not enable the enhanced graphic and high res textures . So it can't even run 3d clocks , plus have profile in RTSS to disable it anyway .

When you say inject dll , into which process ?
RTSS, AB etc , I do see RTSS hook dll in many processes with PE .

Maybe we should go PM for this as don't want to side track this posting much, unless we find something .
So I guess it is not the cause here, if you only found RTSS hook the dll.

Old
  (#25)
EdKiefer
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-14-2014, 00:19 | posts: 396

Quote:
So I guess it is not the cause here, if you only found RTSS hook the dll.
well PE shows many dll , AB must have like 60 dll's , RTSS 86 dll's and RTSShookloader64 23dll . there mostly all MS ones with rest AB, RT related , don't see anything funny but I am no expert with this type issue .

I installed the linked new RTSS but still have a 10sec delay on AB, no issues but would need to remove delay to test it but I need few weeks as it hardly ever happened with no delay .
The delay fixed it for me 100% , I think its been 1/2 yrs so far .

Last edited by EdKiefer; 06-14-2014 at 00:22.