Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Want to talk about anything Hardware related? This is the place, you can discuss it here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
help me choose
Old
  (#1)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default help me choose - 05-15-2014, 14:09 | posts: 18

- Budget:
240$ for processor
80-120$ for mother board
50-65$ for casing
- Zip Code or Location:
Manila, Philippines
- Specific Use: Gaming/Normal/Photoshop/Microsoft Offices/Animation and Game Development
- Any preferred components?:
i was thinking of i5-4670k but i really don't know what to pick
- Any spare parts you can re-use?
GTX650 2GB GDDR5
500w Strike X non-modular
2x4GB 1333 Ripjaws
2x4GB 1333 Kingston (small)
And got extra 4GB 1333 Kingston (tall)
512GB Seagate HDD
*Generic Case (Asrock Extreme 6 Fits but its too tight, can't put some parts)
- Overclocking your processor?: Maybe Yes? Well in my view in the future there will be more powerful procs so probably i'll overclock to compensate for it
- Need an Operating System?:
I'm currently using 7 Ultimate but i think I'll change to 8.1
- Need a Monitor? / Mouse? / Keyboard?:
Currently using Roccat Kone +
Razer Anansi - and extra Nighthawk KAI-5
And AOC monitor -18.5in i think, prolly change to 2pcs 23 inches
- Need Another Component? (Specify):
Only the Motherboard, Processor and the Casing
- Preferred Case Features (Ex: Color, Side Window, Flashy:
I recommend Black, Windowed is fine
Its kinda dusty here so i want like the top bottom and front have dust filters
Well still depends on the budget but as long as the atx board fits, with atleast fan slots on front bottom and top i'm fine with it and as long as the airflow would be good (it's damn hot in my place )
- Number of Monitors: 1 (18.5") AOC
- Other Info?:
I broke my motherboard (beoken pins) and also my processor ( got a dent on it like the gold plate was removed - tested it on other board, doesn't work anymore )
My brother enrolled on a course of information technology major in animation and game development so i was thinking he'll be also using this PC
I'm not sure if he needs a powerful one but i'm paying GW2
My i3-2100 works fine but of course i get lags on WvW

Thank you in advance!
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
Pzykotik
Maha Guru
 
Pzykotik's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780 "Ghz Edition"
Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.3Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Revolution 1250W
Default 05-15-2014, 14:14 | posts: 2,544 | Location: Bournemouth

Are those prices in USD?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-15-2014, 14:54 | posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzykotik View Post
Are those prices in USD?
Yes, 1 USD = around 43 Philippine Peso
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Pzykotik
Maha Guru
 
Pzykotik's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780 "Ghz Edition"
Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.3Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Revolution 1250W
Default 05-15-2014, 15:22 | posts: 2,544 | Location: Bournemouth

Ok, so you'll need new RAM if you want to get that CPU... I would probably suggest:

Intel i5 4670K (if you want to go with that CPU) - $239.99
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming - $139.99
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz - $64.99
Corsair Hydro H100i - $101.99

Doesn't matter what case, something like the Antec GX500 Midi-Tower?

Prices from NewEgg.

With the cooler, you should be able to OC up to around 4GHz

Last edited by Pzykotik; 05-15-2014 at 15:31.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-15-2014, 15:42 | posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzykotik View Post
Ok, so you'll need new RAM if you want to get that CPU... I would probably suggest:

Intel i5 4670K (if you want to go with that CPU) - $239.99
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming - $139.99
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz - $64.99
Corsair Hydro H100i - $101.99

Doesn't matter what case, something like the Antec GX500 Midi-Tower?

Prices from NewEgg.

With the cooler, you should be able to OC up to around 4GHz
My case is generic
I'm planning to get a new case thats why
But i cant afford to buy those as of now
I only have around 300$ budget for mobo processor and casing
I wont OC it rightaway because i don't have a cooler yet
I'll be sticking with the stock if i get it

*what would be the problem on those RAMs if i get the 4670k?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
Pzykotik
Maha Guru
 
Pzykotik's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780 "Ghz Edition"
Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.3Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Revolution 1250W
Default 05-15-2014, 16:08 | posts: 2,544 | Location: Bournemouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybugs View Post
My case is generic
I'm planning to get a new case thats why
But i cant afford to buy those as of now
I only have around 300$ budget for mobo processor and casing
I wont OC it rightaway because i don't have a cooler yet
I'll be sticking with the stock if i get it

*what would be the problem on those RAMs if i get the 4670k?
Looking at the Intel site, you'd actually be ok with your DDR3-1333. So you can ignore me. Maybe look at the GIGABYTE GA-H87M-D3H - $94.99 on NewEgg atm. In fact if you're going for a board like this one look at the i5-4570, it's similar to the 4670K, but $199.99!

What's wrong with your current case?

Last edited by Pzykotik; 05-15-2014 at 16:11.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-15-2014, 17:01 | posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzykotik View Post
Looking at the Intel site, you'd actually be ok with your DDR3-1333. So you can ignore me. Maybe look at the GIGABYTE GA-H87M-D3H - $94.99 on NewEgg atm. In fact if you're going for a board like this one look at the i5-4570, it's similar to the 4670K, but $199.99!

What's wrong with your current case?
Not really sure if i can push my budget for i7-4770k
But i'm really planning to get k as compensation of the up coming new procies in the next few years

My case is generic
PSU is at the top
No fan slot in front bottom and top
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Pzykotik
Maha Guru
 
Pzykotik's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780 "Ghz Edition"
Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.3Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Revolution 1250W
Default 05-15-2014, 23:27 | posts: 2,544 | Location: Bournemouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybugs View Post
Not really sure if i can push my budget for i7-4770k
Ey? If you get the CPU and MB I've suggested, how much do you have left?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-16-2014, 02:52 | posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzykotik View Post
Ey? If you get the CPU and MB I've suggested, how much do you have left?
I was thinking of a MoBo that supports SLI to be more future proof, what do you think?

That MoBo is like 4700PhP thats like 106$ in 44PhP conversion
i5-4670k is 10950PhP ---- 249$
I can only squeeze up to 70$ for the case

Last edited by bunnybugs; 05-16-2014 at 03:00.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
Pzykotik
Maha Guru
 
Pzykotik's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780 "Ghz Edition"
Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.3Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Revolution 1250W
Default 05-16-2014, 09:55 | posts: 2,544 | Location: Bournemouth

Personally, I've never bothered with dual cards. That board is CrossFire compatible, if it matters...

70$ is more than enough for a case. You can pick up a Cooler Master HAF 912 for $59.99, or an Antec Three Hundred Illusion for $64.99...
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
AsiJu
Master Guru
 
AsiJu's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
Processor: Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Z87-A
Memory: G.Skill DDR3-1600 8 GB
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 05-16-2014, 12:00 | posts: 657 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzykotik View Post
... In fact if you're going for a board like this one look at the i5-4570...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybugs View Post
Not really sure if i can push my budget for i7-4770k...
Hello bunnybugs,

Pzykotik suggested the non K i5, not the i7

Also he mentioned "if you're going for a board like this" meaning the one you picked isn't probably oc capable (haven't checked, just assuming).

You mentioned however you want the K version, so check your mobo choice to be sure you can oc.

I'd agree that if you're on a budget and the mobo is good for you, just get the non-K i5. It'll serve you well, especially as Haswell CPUs often overclock not so well.

EDIT: it seems Pzykotik suggested the Gigabyte H87 (not oc'able) along with the i5-4570. Sorry, read through too hastily.

Still, seems like a valid choice for a budget. I can confirm from experience that perf gains from oc'ing the i5 are minimal in gaming. It's pretty beefy at stock anyway so you won't miss out.

Last edited by AsiJu; 05-16-2014 at 12:16.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-16-2014, 16:23 | posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzykotik View Post
Personally, I've never bothered with dual cards. That board is CrossFire compatible, if it matters...

70$ is more than enough for a case. You can pick up a Cooler Master HAF 912 for $59.99, or an Antec Three Hundred Illusion for $64.99...
Does h100i fits on HAF 912 or Antec 300?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-16-2014, 16:35 | posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiJu View Post
Hello bunnybugs,

Pzykotik suggested the non K i5, not the i7

Also he mentioned "if you're going for a board like this" meaning the one you picked isn't probably oc capable (haven't checked, just assuming).

You mentioned however you want the K version, so check your mobo choice to be sure you can oc.

I'd agree that if you're on a budget and the mobo is good for you, just get the non-K i5. It'll serve you well, especially as Haswell CPUs often overclock not so well.

EDIT: it seems Pzykotik suggested the Gigabyte H87 (not oc'able) along with the i5-4570. Sorry, read through too hastily.

Still, seems like a valid choice for a budget. I can confirm from experience that perf gains from oc'ing the i5 are minimal in gaming. It's pretty beefy at stock anyway so you won't miss out.
i5-4670 and with k has a difference of 22$
Sorry, i am a complete Noob
Then if that would be case
Will the price of i7-4770 (around 302$) much worth getting tha. i5-4670 (around 226$)?
To be used for: gaming, everyday use, some photoshop, little video editing, animation and game development?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
AsiJu
Master Guru
 
AsiJu's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
Processor: Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Z87-A
Memory: G.Skill DDR3-1600 8 GB
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 05-16-2014, 16:59 | posts: 657 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybugs View Post
i5-4670 and with k has a difference of 22$
Sorry, i am a complete Noob
Then if that would be case
Will the price of i7-4770 (around 302$) much worth getting tha. i5-4670 (around 226$)?
To be used for: gaming, everyday use, some photoshop, little video editing, animation and game development?
Don't worry, that's what this place is for, advice

My opinion is that the i7 is not worth the extra dough, you won't see much difference in the tasks mentioned.

The i7 with hyperthreading may give you some perf boost in video editing or animation, but if you do those only every now and then and your main goal is gaming and everyday use, I'd say go for the i5.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
Pzykotik
Maha Guru
 
Pzykotik's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780 "Ghz Edition"
Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.3Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Revolution 1250W
Default 05-16-2014, 19:06 | posts: 2,544 | Location: Bournemouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybugs View Post
Does h100i fits on HAF 912 or Antec 300?
I didn't think that far ahead. You might have to go for the h80i, which will definitely fit.

For what you need, don't bother with the i7. It's a faster chip for sure, but for gaming and every day use it's overkill. For video editing, animation stuff and game development it would help, but so would more RAM and a better graphics card... So what can you do?

Have you thought about AMD stuff, or are you set on Intel?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-17-2014, 03:40 | posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzykotik View Post
I didn't think that far ahead. You might have to go for the h80i, which will definitely fit.

For what you need, don't bother with the i7. It's a faster chip for sure, but for gaming and every day use it's overkill. For video editing, animation stuff and game development it would help, but so would more RAM and a better graphics card... So what can you do?

Have you thought about AMD stuff, or are you set on Intel?
I'm pretty much kinda set on intel because some of my friends says some of the programs do lag on AMD
Because i'll be using some photoshop an probably my brother would use this pc for some video editing together with animation and game development
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-17-2014, 03:44 | posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiJu View Post
Don't worry, that's what this place is for, advice

My opinion is that the i7 is not worth the extra dough, you won't see much difference in the tasks mentioned.

The i7 with hyperthreading may give you some perf boost in video editing or animation, but if you do those only every now and then and your main goal is gaming and everyday use, I'd say go for the i5.
The i5-4670k and non k has a difference of around 22$
While the i7-4770 non k has a differnce of 81$ from i5-4670
What do you think?

And would the i5-4670 non k future proof enough in the next maybe around 5 years?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-17-2014, 17:37 | posts: 18

Update: came up with the decision to take i5-4670
And MoBo with atleast 4 RAm slot and single gpu slot
But i don't know exactly what to buy please do give me some suggestions

Casing Update: not sure if i can squeeze my budget but i'm thinking of nzxt phantom 410 or Corsair 400r(10$ cheaper)
On casing i was thinking of h100 would fit in it and with atleast fan at the bottom
But it i ccan't squeeze, i'm thinking of Spec-03
Please do give me some suggestions here specially in the same price range of Spec-03
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
AsiJu
Master Guru
 
AsiJu's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
Processor: Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Z87-A
Memory: G.Skill DDR3-1600 8 GB
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 05-17-2014, 21:07 | posts: 657 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybugs View Post
Update: came up with the decision to take i5-4670
And MoBo with atleast 4 RAm slot and single gpu slot
But i don't know exactly what to buy please do give me some suggestions

...
The Gigabyte board Pzykotik suggested earlier should be good for your needs. It has 4 RAM slots (2 x 2 channels).

Boards with a single GPU (PCI-E x16/x8) slot are usually smaller ATX boards so even if you don't need SLI/CFX don't bother too much about this. Plus you can use the extra slot for any PCI-E device if you don't want another GPU.

Alternatively, an Asus or maybe MSI equivalent, depending on your brand preference.

I'm not very good at suggesting mobo brands as I'm am an Asus-all-the-way mobowise myself
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
AsiJu
Master Guru
 
AsiJu's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
Processor: Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Z87-A
Memory: G.Skill DDR3-1600 8 GB
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 05-17-2014, 21:45 | posts: 657 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybugs View Post
On casing i was thinking of h100 would fit in it and with atleast fan at the bottom
Never install exhausting fans at the bottom of the case. It won't work (the hot air has nowhere to go). The rad fans of a watercooler are exhaust fans.

Always install exhaust fans at the top/rear of your case as they get rid of the hot air. You can then add further fans at the front/bottom of your case which blow cool air IN to your case (the fan orientation is reversed contra exhaust fans).
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-18-2014, 01:32 | posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiJu View Post
Never install exhausting fans at the bottom of the case. It won't work (the hot air has nowhere to go). The rad fans of a watercooler are exhaust fans.

Always install exhaust fans at the top/rear of your case as they get rid of the hot air. You can then add further fans at the front/bottom of your case which blow cool air IN to your case (the fan orientation is reversed contra exhaust fans).
That is what i'm going to do
Intake:
2 front fans
1 bottom
Exhaust:
1 back
2 top

Since i won't be using/buying h100, that would be my fan build as of now
And in the future i'm sure i'll be building custom liquid thats why i want to ensure the fitting of radiator

@Pzykotik
Sir, what do you suggest on the board?
And some feedbacks on the case

Last edited by bunnybugs; 05-18-2014 at 08:25.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
Pzykotik
Maha Guru
 
Pzykotik's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780 "Ghz Edition"
Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.3Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Revolution 1250W
Default 05-19-2014, 08:54 | posts: 2,544 | Location: Bournemouth

Like I said, the GIGABYTE GA-H87M-D3H is the board I'd probably go for. You could take a look at the ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance? Still around $100, but it looks like that will allow for overclocking but is still only Crossfire compatible.

In regards to cases...

I like the HAF 912... It's a decent size, and allows for enough fans to keep things cool.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119233
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-19-2014, 11:37 | posts: 18

No official shop sells HAF 912 here in Philippines
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
bunnybugs
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 650 2GB GDDR5
Processor: i3-2100
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Strike X 500w Non-Modular
Default 05-19-2014, 11:39 | posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzykotik View Post
Like I said, the GIGABYTE GA-H87M-D3H is the board I'd probably go for. You could take a look at the ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance? Still around $100, but it looks like that will allow for overclocking but is still only Crossfire compatible.

In regards to cases...

I like the HAF 912... It's a decent size, and allows for enough fans to keep things cool.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119233
No official shop sells haf 912
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
Pzykotik
Maha Guru
 
Pzykotik's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780 "Ghz Edition"
Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.3Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Revolution 1250W
Default 05-19-2014, 12:13 | posts: 2,544 | Location: Bournemouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybugs View Post
No official shop sells haf 912
Ok, well what are your options?
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.