Some Advice

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by PurSpyk!!, Apr 25, 2014.

1. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi,

I know there are many threads about similar questions, but they seem to get off topic quiet quickly.

I have 2 GTX 680 2GB cards in SLi, I like to run my games with all the settings on max, and have a 23" 1920x1080 monitor. The issue is in games like Borderlands 2, there will be lag in certain levels, if I use graphics mods in Skyrim, the game will stall as all the vram gets used.

My question is, would it be worthwhile to upgrade to an Sli setup with 2 GTX 780 ti cards, or is this an overkill? This is an expensive upgrade, and don't really want to waste money for minor improvements.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If you consider SLi then GTX 780 would be better option performance/price wise.
    But even single 780Ti would show improvements as not every game supports SLI and not every SLi capable game has proper scaling.
    + GTX780(Ti) have HW level optimizations for multi GPU while 680 is limited and prone to stutter.

3. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    x2 780 6gb versions.
    if none is available you can step-up to them with evga, they'll put your name on a waiting list. so you can go 780 3gb then gat a new 6gb replacement when available.

4. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi, I would love to get the 6gb cards, but they don't seem to sell those in South Africa. I had the same problem when I bought my GTX 680 cards, no one stocked the 4GB version. I think if I had got those I would not have the issues I have in Skyrim.

A real pity the 780 ti does not come with 6gb.

I don't really have any issues with the 680's except in the game I mentioned, and Borderlands 2 stuttering might be a game issue. I usually don't buy every generation of card, but the Ti version is almost 2 versions ahead of the 680

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    grab a single ti and see how you get on with it, don't worry about comin from x2 680s, onwards and upwards.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The issue in Skyrim is VRAM and bad game engine. In Borderlands 2 it's most likely PhysX and nothinng will fix that one of the users on here had Titan SLI with a 580 as a PhysX card and still had those random drops. Have you tried the new drivers (beta) from nvidia? VRAM usage should see an improvement with them.

7. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    I'm a big Skyrim fan and modder, and my 3gb is completely full when I play it, but I don't get any stuttering or anything. I run it at 1080p but I'd love another 780 Ti so I can run it at 1440p.

Is it really worth it for one game? That's up to you. If you are going to spend such a huge amount on new cards though, you'd be wise to get something with 4gb+ vram if you possibly can.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    As you were referring to VRAM usage as a potential bottleneck for Skyrim modded rather than GPU power, I would remind you that VRAM does not scale with SLi / CrossFire, in case you didn't know already. Or is it that Skyrim modded @ 1080p saturates both your VRAM and your GPU?

@OP: 780Ti SLi are complete overkill for 1080p and even a single 780Ti could be overkill for 1080p 60Hz unless you like to whack AA up and use (tending towards) unreasonable settings like SSAA in modern games that suck up GPU power already.

9. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thanks guys for all the fantastic advice, looks like I will stick with my 680's

10. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Ah yeah, that's not what I meant, my Skyrim runs fine at 1080p but I don't have enough GPU power for 1440p. The vram is maxed out at both resolutions but it doesn't seem to cause problems.

11. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    i think that's the best option especially since you are gaming on a standard 1080p monitor, wait a year or 2 then the next gen video cards will come out and the 4k monitors will be cheap enough to make a great system a reality.