Ways to add a native, custom resolution (help needed)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Proxyhat, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Proxyhat

Proxyhat Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD 4890
    Hi,

I need to add the odd custom resolution of 1664x1080 to fix an issue with an old game. Now, I've added this resolution through the CPL which works fine for most newer applications, though, not for this particular 'old' game. The issue is simply that the game refuses to launch with this resolution when added through the CPL. I think this method though the CPL has problems with old games, simply. I don't think it adds the custom resolutions natively.

So, I tried to download Powerstrip instead (which can change the native monitor resolution list), but the program freezes my PC. I think this program has some huge compatibility issues.

So, is there another way to change the native monitor resolution list, so that some older games can actually see and understand them?

I'm using Win7 64-bit, 330GT on this particular PC. With my ATI based PC, the game runs without issues at this odd resolution.

EDIT:

I found a fix!

The awesome program 'ToastyX' was the solution! It can edit the EDID, and so now the old game understands the odd resolution.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    nice. :)

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Since it's an old game, wouldn't it make sense to use a 4:3 resolution? For 1080p monitors, that would be 1440x1080.

4. Proxyhat

Proxyhat Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD 4890
    Well, indeed if the game wasn't able to acheive other than aspect than 4:3 , however, this game is a pixel game 1:1, so any resolution is viable. Only it has to be a multiply of 32 for the interface to align properly, thus the odd resolution.

Still, your suggestion reminds me of how strange it is that you have to manually add the resolutions > 1440x1080 and 1400x1050. These resolutions is much better to use than 1600x200 and 1600x1024. These two common resolutions will blur the image because of the non-native height.

And yet, I bet you that most people use these non-native height resolution to play their 4:3 games. I find that interresting.