OCZ RevoDrive 350 PCIe SSD Review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review we test the RevoDrive 350 PCI Express SSD from OCZ Storage Solutions. Armed in RAID empowered by four LSI SandForce controllers and snazzy Toshiba NAND flash memory we now close in at 1...

OCZ RevoDrive 350 PCIe SSD Review

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I would, if not for the price. That speed is blistering, but I could quite easily grab another 512 GB Vertex SSD and RAID0 them for similar performance and twice the space at half the price.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    ^ Exactly this. And SSDs are going down in price this year, I am already thinking to use my Vertex 4 for next notebook and pack 2x Samsung 840 250/500GB each in RAID0.

4. Hapatingjaky

Hapatingjaky Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080Ti OC
    Nope, you would get twice the space but half the speed. My Raid 0 Vector which in single drive are still faster then your vertex 4 get barely over 1000MB/s. it would require 4 vertex 4's or vectors to equal or beat the speed. That of course would be at $1000+ with 4x the size and equal performance.

Even then the sata controller on the motherboard which I am aassuming is Intel will max out at 1500MB I believe so you would require an additional raid card.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I average over 500 MB/s reads. Specifically went for this drive for the higher IOPs and killer read and write speeds.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I think the general feel about SSD's are that beyond a certain speed, the difference is meaningless.

I say this today in 2014 with current software/applications/games at the lowest common denominator of PC configs, and reserve the right to change my mind should software ever demand it.

7. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Pretty much my feeling too! Unless people really have a need for those RAID read/write speeds the end user isn't going to see a difference in everyday performance/gaming scenarios. I run 2 Crucial M4s in RAID 0 and performance is no different from when I ran 1 M4. Yes benchmarks give me a big number, but real world its just not needed, unless like I say you actually do something that can benefit.

I doubt I'll bother with RAID again when I'm done, probably just go for a single larger SSD, or if I have the money perhaps PCIe solution, but not for the speeds just so I don't have to put a drive somewhere with data and power cables. Just make the system cleaner really lol

I've also read that RAID 0 also increases your chances of data loss, so it seems like risking data loss for no real improvement in performance