8K Shots From Unreal Engine 4's Tech Demo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Here are some pretty 8K screenshots from the tech demos that were included in Unreal Engine 4. below the fold you can see some rescaled screenshots, and click the link to see them full size....

8K Shots From Unreal Engine 4's Tech Demo

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Amazing engine :D

3. This, running at 120Hz+ and most likely Virtual reality supported, would be simply epic.

I can feel an upgrade is in store for all of us very soon.

4. Home-World

Home-World Guest

GPU:
    ATi 8870M
    I can only dream to imagine what Engine 5 will look like :)

5. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I suggest to download in original quality all pics to disk and then view them.

As sidenote about 4k and 8k, in longterm there is planned also 16k resolution standard for consumer electronics and TV. Personally i think it is total overkill and fullhd is more than just enough for most people, even tech-nerds.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Meh. Average human eye at 20/20 is capable of 50PPD. You need roughly double that to completely remove all perceived aliasing.

4K at 3' on a 24" screen is 115PPD, 102 on a 27". So I think 4K is really the cutoff. Anything higher and the diminishing returns are essentially nothing unless you're sitting extremely close to a very large screen.

It's too bad that Andrew Scheidecker's SVOGI had to be removed from Unreal 4. I would have loved to see shots of that . Hopefully he will bring it back in the future.

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I suggest to the peoples to open the link to Flickr and watch them in full resolution ( aka 8K ) ...
    ( I see spectatorx have been faster of me ) ...

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Any games running this now?

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  10. AirForce

AirForce Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD 4600
    4k + Raytracing will do it till 2020 ;)

11. Aro9

Aro9 Member

GPU:
    Firepro/7740/1024MB
    Now if unreal and snowdrop had a baby...

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Boring .. let us run some of these tech demos.

13. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Always liked unreal engine.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    8k eh? no card on the markets would be able to power that and not have heart attacks.

4k is still pipe dream for most people too. but nice to see what could look foward to once tech catches up

15. Arend.C

Arend.C Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    Too bad it's going to take ages before we see these kind of graphics ingame. Mostly because consoles are holding it back for real next gen.

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    He has a point though. For example, do you think consoles are going to be running UE4 games at even 1080p? I have my doubts.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No, I don't think current generation consoles will, but what does that have to do with having 4K displays available? I'd rather display manufacturers jump straight to the pinnacle of resolution, instead of releasing slightly higher res each year. The consoles/PC's can just scale to 4K. That's what most console games are doing now anyway. Eventually when we do get the hardware to hit native 4K we would have already had all our displays ready, instead of catching up 5-6 years from now or whatever.

18. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Whats up with the effect in the corners of the screenies? Hurts my eyes.

[​IMG]

19. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    All screeens when watched in full resolution ( not the one posted ), look strange, with decay ( look the fire effects )...
    he screenshoot are 8K photos taken on a moving demo with a camera.. but the original watch was not 8K..

The textures are extremely blurry, many details are double ... look the sword in the lower part of your screen..

Then ofc, when you goes from a 8K resolution watched at 1080P. ( or even lower in the case of the screenshots posted by HH ) this is calling extreme downsampling...

There's a strange effect applied... like 3D ( look the 3 colors, green, red, blue added ) really visible on the 2 first screens. its invisible if you watch the screenshoots at downsampled resolutions, but if you watch the original screen on 8K ( so you will get only a portion visible on screen ),.. it is really visible. ( 3D 8K camera shooting ? ... )

This should not appears on the engine... nobody will code graphism like that ( peoples will become sick and have a hard time to look the screen untill you get the 3D glasses for it ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a strange way for show the capacity graphics of an engine.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Dunno, I ran all these demos on my machine and they look fine. The engine does have some crazy motion blur by default settings that you can eliminate, that may cause artifacts like that, but when the demos are in motion they look great and don't get me sick or anything.

The elemental demo they launched today runs at like 20fps lol.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014