Real life transcoding experience with AMD Athlon 5350 APU

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Antakar, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Antakar

Antakar Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS R 5850
    I read an article:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_athlon_5350_apu_and_am1_platform_review,17.html

There are tests running transcoding of the HD 1980 video material.

They seem to be a bit slow to comparison to other CPU's/APUs.

I have a Samsung TV 7000 series, where i can play content from the DLNA source.
    Unfortunately Samsung is dont have many codecs so Transcoding is inevitable.

I would like to know is the transcoding fast enough to play a Full HD video on my TV.

Also, is the AMD 5350 APU GPU hardware transcoding possible on Ubuntu 14.4 with latest, 14.x Catalyst drivers and lets say Plex media server - or any other media server?

I am not sure how relevant would be the media server application like Plex when it comes to GPU transcoding capabilities? Does it have to support it? Or is it happening somewhere on the driver/system level?

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    More then fast enough.

I personally use Serviio.

http://serviio.org/

I run it on my home server and it is a great DLNA server, very simple to use, transcodes to almost all DLNA devices, if transcoding is needed.

3. Antakar

Antakar Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS R 5850
    Thank you rflair, its great news the cpu is more then enough for transcoding.

Are you running Serviio on Ubuntu?

Does the serviio do full transcoding ie. Video+Audio?

Is it possible to have only transcoded Video?

Also, my other question remains unanswered:
    Also, is the AMD 5350 APU GPU hardware transcoding possible on Ubuntu 14.4 with latest, 14.x Catalyst drivers and lets say Plex media server - or any other media server?

Can someone recommand me a good resource to find out about Transcoding options? Not something like a white paper but something for humans? :)

4. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    VLC works wonders, FYI.