What windows 8 Updates to avoid??

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by J.B.west, Apr 23, 2014.

1. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    I have a 300 meg update. Im trying to avoid any that may just be unnecessary.
    Im not worried about IE as I dont use that gargabe anyways, Im more concern over the OS updates.

Thanks

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There are critical updates and there are recommended updates. The former are what the label suggests and the latter are discretionary. The KB number would obviously have helped. Is this 8.0 or 8.1?

3. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti

Well that what Im wanting to know...is what KB to avoid

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, which KB's are being offered? How else would we know which isn't necessary? :p If it is from this month's patch Tuesday then you must install them all to receive continued support for your OS.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Almost all updates are required. Also, if you update to update 1 (which is a requirement so no ways around it), it will update IE.

If you don't want to update IE, you just need to go to program features and 'disable' it.

• go to control panel
    • at the top right hand corner click on View by: Category and change to small (or large) icons if it hasn't already been changed. This makes it a crapload easier to find things!
    • click on Programs and Features
    • on the left hand side, click on 'Turn Windows features on or off'
    • uncheck the box for 'Internet Explorer 11'
    • click ok

6. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    Nice...learn something new everyay

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ha! +1

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Tbh I don't see a reason to avoid IE11 as a normal consumer. Businesses on the other hand...

I've seen web-based tools that don't even work properly beyond IE8 :x

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Unless is says important or critical, I do not install it.

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I always check out the more information link and if it doesn't apply to anything I do or how I use my computer I don't install it.Some recommended updates do apply to me so I install them but I keep up with them so there isn't 40 at a time.That can get a little tedious going through them all.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Pretty much all updates through Windows Update are 'recommended'. The ones you don't have to worry about so much are the ones not available through Windowsupdate (hotfixes and the like).

12. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    There's critical and there's recommended critical I do automatically the other I look through.

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I havent had to worry about updates breaking things like I did with windows xp.

I remember how sometimes a update in windows xp would stop a game from working and and to grow through all the updates to figure out which one did it.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've had updates break graphics card drivers.... Such found memories of Vista I have....

MS is dropping support for Pre-Update 1, Win8.1.....but not for Win8.....doesn't make much sense.

I just install all the updates. Been a while since an update broke anything for me.

The site I use for work was designed for IE6 and hasn't been updated since. It hates IE10 and 11. Have to use Compatibility View to get it to work.

15. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I install everything except for drivers and that bing crap.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yeah...always ignore the Bing crap. Unless of course you want to give MS more access to your browsing habits, etc than they already have. imho, Bing crap = spyware......

Drivers should be pretty obvious. They're usually outdated by the time MS posts them on Windows Update.