AVR on pc question(s)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by DerSchniffles, Apr 20, 2014.

1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    So I moved my pc back to my tv as I just got a new tv (55") and I also decided to get an actual receiver and tossed my crappy $200 HTiB system that didnt have any options. So now I have a Sony receiver with a 5.1 setup.

Question now is- Is there anything specific I need to do to optimize the setup? I have hdmi running from the video card into the receiver and then from the receiver to the tv, the same as my ps4.
    Now when i play my games it does not show anything on the receiver saying its doing...well anything as for as encoding but if my assumptions are correct, then its just running pcm correct? So I should not have to do anything. BF4 seems like it is working fine with 5.1 and my music only comes out of 2.1 which seems normal as well.

I setup the hdmi audio in the sound control panel and it recognized it as 5.1 and did the little sound test and each one had sound coming out of the appropriate speaker, and then set it to small speaker format which is what i have (i think, thats small satellites correct?).

When I play a movie it still does not show anything on the receiver but it sounds good and has surround sound, and no, PLII is not on, I just left it on A.F.D. so im hoping the receiver is doing what its supposed to lol.

Here is what this shows, looks correct to me but im not an audio guy ;)

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help on this matter.

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    It depends on the format of the movie and the games as well. If the movie is just 2 channel stereo, it will output 2 channel stereo and upmix it to surround. You need to get a 5.1 channel encoded movie such as DTS or Dolby for it to output these formats. Same with games etc...

regards,
    Ragdoll.

3. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Not sure if you got this all configured but you should make sure to set your settings accordingly in your Xbox / PS3 settings.

4. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Thanks, I did get it all configured and the same for my ps4.