Z97 chipset worth the wait?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dub dub, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Dub dub

Dub dub Guest

GPU:
    Galax 980 HOF edition
    In the process of building a new high-end PC and I'm just about to pick my parts out.. I'm really considering the new flagship i7 4790k that supposedly launches on May 10th!!
    I was just wondering if u out there (guru community) would advise the wait or just go with the common high-end 4770k z87 chipset? Also do u think the i7 4790k and z97 chipset will cost much more the 4770k and z87 mobo?
    I have a $2200 budget with a little room to spare, ncix has a decent price right now on the 4770k and that does get me thinking that the 4790k is on its way.. Love to here your insight in this.. Would like to order soon, so I am anxious here from u all

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Worst case, the Z87 i7-4770k's won't be any more expensive once the equivalent Z97 board and i7-4790k is released, so no loss. If anything, they will probably be a bit cheaper. Don't expect massive price drops though, it probably wouldn't happen.

The issue will be that the i7-4790k won't be available straight away, it will be a another couple of months. The downside of going with Z87 is that you can't upgrade to Broadwell later if you want and with Z97 board you supposedly can.

Z87:
    • slightly cheaper to purchase
    • lower resale at the end
    • can't upgrade later
    • lower resale value

Z97:
    • have to wait a couple more months for i7-4790k
    • higher resale value than Z87 when you next upgrade
    • upgradeable to Broadwell (next gen) CPU
    • faster
    • by waiting, you may be able to have a higher budget
    • certain video cards may be cheaper

You just have to work out what you are willing to sacrifice, either holding off purchasing now or getting something that is already outdated and non-upgradeable with a lower resale value when you upgrade next.

People say if you wait there will always be something better around the corner, but there are points in time where that saying doesn't work. It's getting to the point where if you don't need it right now, you might as well wait and make your purchase more worthwhile. This is especially true if you can't afford to drop several thousand on a PC every year. By waiting for Z97 you not only get a new computer now, you get another new computer early next year with a simple CPU upgrade. You can then sell off the i7-4790k and the upgrade will be very cheap.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Whether you can run Broadwell on Z87 is questionable, and whether you get full capability of it...

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I would wait until after it's released, then make your decision.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Questionable according to those leaks from vr-zone never confirmed by intel?

The only confirmed info from Intel is this video above, the rest is pure rumors to keep the market going imo.

Z68 is 3770k fully compatible, I didnt see anyone saying it preforms worse then on Z77 chipset, just saying. :)

Anyway @ Thread starter, if you can wait then wait for Z97, otherwise get Z87.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

In any case, it's not that you have to wait long for the Z97.

That situation is a little different, there wasn't a change such as the supposed movement of the voltage regulator.

It could be that Z97 supports i7-4770k (along with i7-4790k and the Broadwell successor, i7-5770k or whatever), but the Z87 can't.

If the voltage regulator has been taken off the CPU for Haswell refresh and Broadwell, then the motherboard will now have the voltage regulator. The Z97 boards can support existing Haswell by using the on-cpu regulator instead of the board based regulator. The part about Z97 supporting existing Haswell's has been effectively confirmed...

On the other hand, Z87 couldn't support Haswell refresh or Broadwell, because there would be no voltage regulator. This is the current speculation, it's strange Intel hasn't clarified this either way. Clarify means definitely state, not some wishy-washy comment that could have different interpretations.

I still say you might as well wait a few weeks for a Z97 board that 'guarantees' upgradeability, instead of rushing out and buying something that is going to be deprecated shortly.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm pretty sure Haswell refresh AND Z97 are both LGA 1150 only, with CPU Vreg. Broadwell is LGA 1151 with mobo Vreg. Z87 and Z97 SHOULD both support both Haswell and Haswell refresh. That's my understanding anyhoo.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Broadwell is LGA1150.

thatguy91

Voltage regulator will stick on cpu die because its so efficient.
    And its not the real heat issue source, that's mostly due to poor chip-ihs contact.

Or they wouldn't achieve 30% power reduction vs Haswell without any tuning, like mentioned in that video

From what I saw the only difference will be in cpu microcode, IME and EC mobo firmware will have to be updated.

Haswell-refresh ready IME 9.0.30.
    Broadwell ready IME 9.1.xx or 10.x.xx (both FW can already be found @ station drivers)

The only thing really missing with Z87 will be that sata express, intel device protection boot guard.
    http://www.hwupgrade.it/news/skmadri/chipset-intel-z97-h97-e-x99-al-debutto-da-meta-anno_51674.html

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would say it's worth the wait since it's only a few weeks and not several months.

They want a new high-end PC with flagship parts, Z87 won't be flagship once Z97 comes out and you would effectively be buying outdated stuff.

When Z77 came out, how many people were suggesting 'oh, just get Z68 because it's compatible'?

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    My only point was that Z87 is not dead or incompatible like few China leaks suggested (might, couldn't, possibly). Was more of a head's up what intel people really said about Broadwell.

Anyway, I 100% agree on that, z97 is the way to go if you can wait a little longer.

12. Dub dub

Dub dub Guest

GPU:
    Galax 980 HOF edition
    First of all i'm lovin the comments already and fast responses from the guru community! I have a couple more questions to ask but they are still on topic somewhat. When i search what other people are currently building (today) is the 4770k cpu and z87 mobo. Why is this, i have not read or seen any mention of what i asked on guru last night and was wondering why people are not asking the same thing i am.
    I understand that its hard to keep up with the growing technology in witch parts are released(there is always something better) but why are people still eating up the 4770k and z87 mobos? Is it they just do not want wait? They are not doing the research? If i am spending this kind or money i would like the best i can get and i would think the z97 and 5770k or 4790k would be just that, the best fresh new product on the block.. The z87 chipset is a couple years old now..
    Do u think(guru community) that the performance(4790k z97) will be much greater then the 4770k z87 combo? I will be waiting now for the new chipset because of your quick responses that i much appreciate! I just did not want to buy the z87 and the z97 come out a week later. I have many more questions to ask and will be posting my parts list to see what u all think!

13. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    haswell refresh 'k' series will kick any current quad solidly in the nuts.
    those that don't want to admit some nice cpus are on the way are into e peening is all.
    best cpu ever made in the universe : -Tj-'s 4470k or whatever it's called.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    nope that's happening only in SLI-756 universe, trollin for no apparent reason :p

@Dub dub
    z87 chipset is ~ 10months old give or take few days.. 4770k was released 2013 June or was it July.. I bought mine early July.

4790K is a couple of months away (3-4months), it will have 100mhz faster base clock vs 4770k and oc a little better + little cooler.

I think 4.6ghz will be pretty much guarantied, 4770k @ 4.2 -4.3ghz (guarantied), anything more will be the same lottery - it can have huge voltage variations once OC'ed. It was the same by IvyBridge, guess its those 3d-gate transistors a little unpredictable at higher volts (works better with less).
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/silicon-innovations/intel-22nm-technology.html
    For example 4770K, one can OC 4.4ghz @ 1.14v, another @1.23v, very weak @ 1.29v or even 1.35v.. And it can get very toasty above 1.30v unless you have very good cooling.

EDIT: yeah, wait until 4790K and see then.

15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

16. SecondThoughts

SecondThoughts Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 760 4GB
    I would personally wait for Z97 or X99, depends on what kind of processor are you aiming on, but in general, Z97 will clear your for the long run!

17. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Z97 is so close now, its what two weeks away? May aswell just wait and check the reviews. I'm waiting for them so I can pick up an mATX board for my gf's build that I'll be doing :)

18. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti

X99 or gtfo. That's what I'd do.

19. Dub dub

Dub dub Guest

GPU:
    Galax 980 HOF edition
    Tons of responses from the guru community, very much appreciated! Glad I asked the question because you have convinced me to wait. I'm sorry for the invalid claim of z87 being 2 years old!! It was 11 months.. Thx for the heads up, but it still ratify's reason for waiting. I want something new, improved temps and faster mhz is just what I want!
    Is there any products in the z97 you think i should look at? I am a really big fan of the msi and the z97 gaming mobo looks great and seems to be a great board from what i have read. Is there any other boards out there you think i should look at or recommend? Also same with cpu? Like to hear your responses

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Z97 can run existing Haswell's, so i7-4770k (etc) and Z87 shouldn't evebe a consideration :). Go for i7-4770k and Z97.