Why do some pictures come out more as illustrations rather than real pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by death_samurai, Apr 20, 2014.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Let me show 2 examples.

This picture looks like a drawing like somebody drew it rather than a picture, this is my opinion

[​IMG]

This is another one that looks rather like a drawing

[​IMG]

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hdr.

3. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    so hdr images all come out as drawings?

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No, depends on how much range you try to capture. I hate hdr with passion, it all looks awful.

5. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Is there a site where you can see the various types of hdrs? Why do you hate it? I mean it doesn't make sense it's like hating on HD videos and loving old black and white.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Huge difference between HD and HDR. Apples and oranges.

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Those pics above look like HDR with some strong filter effects applied. Standard HDR doesn't typically look so surreal.

I was under the impression that HDR simply takes multiple exposures (at different lighting levels) and combines them, giving a more proper representation of the scene than a single (light-level) exposure could ever hope to achieve. Is that inaccurate?

8. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    HDR can ruin a good picture

lol and those pics look like a game to me

9. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    HDR. because a lot of people think that HDR means "lets get rid of all the shadows and ruin the depth cues from the scene."
    HDR is for retaining as much info as possible. Not actually showing everything at once.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it really depends on how much range you capture in a HDR photo, if you go from one extreme to another, it'll look like that, or even worse. Imo, tasteful HDR is ok, in some cases. I mean +/- 2 steps give or take. but anything extreme makes me want to vom.

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I thought the top one was Sleeping Dogs at first.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There's plenty of pics like that online, and I agree that type of HDR almost always ruins the image.

Too much contrast, gamma, and oversaturated (colour).

13. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    so that means capturing a picture with very quick shutter speed making it very dark and then combining it with one with a very slow shutter speed making it bright makes it look less real?

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Basically, yes. You take multiple shots with different exposures. Then combine them, getting a much wider range of lighting.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Those pictures don't look like very good HDR pictures to me. HDR can actually be really useful, depending on the implementation. Those pictures (along with most others you can tell are HDR) are artsy type HDR, not the good kind :).

Taking pictures of people in the shade with a brighter background is an excellent example where what I would call proper HDR can be useful. The background comes out in the final shot as much less bright, and the shaded areas where the people as more bright.

It's probably why they call this HDR backlight (typically):

I did a quick Google image search, here's an example of what I see as useful (not that crappy artsy) HDR:
    [​IMG]

Another example:
    [​IMG]

Not only can you see the person better, the background is also much better (you can see the clouds in the sky).

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    just look through this thread, a lot of crap HDR photos exactly like the ones in the OP here. Examples where HDR completely kills the dynamics of a photo, with destroyed shadows and highlights pulled out of oblivion. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=327574

examples above ^ all the photographer needed to do is use a touch of diffused flash and you'd get much better results than HDR. Apart from that cave shot, of course.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  17. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Or just depending how much dynamic range you camera has, you can just "up" the shadows slide in lightroom/photoshop.

Also,

[​IMG]

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    most dslr will have pretty much identical dynamic range nowadays.

btw, I'm sure you don't believe you need to go anywhere near HDR for that mountain/lake photo above ^

19. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    I know, it's just illustrating that HDR is supposed to be subtle.

True, though most entry level dslr's still have somewhat sucky DR. It's crazy how good DR has gotten though, like on D800 for example. at base iso it has like 5 stops of good information.