NVIDIA preparing Maxwell GM204 and Kepler GK210 GPUs.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TheDeeGee, Apr 19, 2014.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    A new leak about the upcoming Graphics Processing Units from NVIDIA has just surfaced.

NVIDIA Maxwell GM204, a heart of GeForce GTX 870/880?

The first GPU that was listed on Indian website is GM204. This is undoubtedly a mid-range GPU. The rumor has it that this is
    the processor for GeForce GTX 870 or maybe even GTX 880. We can clearly see GM204-GB3-256, which could suggest we
    are looking at 256-bit interface.

GM204 would be using 28nm node. It is unclear what made NVIDIA diffentiate this GPU from GM107 by increasing the
    version to GM2xx. It is worth noting that 3DCenter also reports on GM206 and GM200.

The GM206 would be an entry-level GPU, most likely with similar performance to GM107. On the other hand we have
    GM200 possibly the true GK110 replacement.

GM2xx GPUs will be the base for GeForce GTX 800 series, which will be released in few months. We expect GeForce GTX 880
    in June.

[​IMG]

NVIDIA Kepler GK210, a new name for GK110

The GK210 has also been spotted. Apparently there are few versions of it (GK210-INT5156-A1 ,GK210-885-A1 or GK210-CS1-
    A1
    ). What exactly is Kepler GK210? This is most likely better binned GK110 for new products like TITAN-Z or
    QUADRO-Z/TESLA-Z video cards. We do not expect it to have different specs than current GK110.

[​IMG]

Source: 3DCenter, PCTuning, Zauba

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    wha.. so another High-end GK110 Kepler refresh? for what? xD

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I don't believe every rumor that gets posted on the net else I would believe the amd rep that stated there would be no dx12. He was clearly in the loop when he made that statement.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Yeah i don't know what to think...is it 2 750 ti cores(x2 shader counts and the like) refresh of a 680??? or new chips that have nothing to do with any retail chips now?

Can't even speculate its sooooo vague

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    If more Kepler refreshes come out its due to kepler being able to compete with hawaii as is. Gk110 is very competitive at 1080 1440. 290 290x starts to pull away at 4k resolutions but even then kepler is no sloutch.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Pretty much this.

Nvidia have way more resources for R&D than AMD do. They could release a GPU in the next 6-8months that would probably wipe the floor with AMD's offering and put them out of business.

Nvidia are not stupid, they may be guilty of price fixing but 100% not stupid. AMD is more or less their only competition and by killing them off they risk the high end GPU market crumbling.

Even worse for Nvidia they would then be competing with Intel in the GPU space, Intel HD graphics Vs GTX TITANS you would think Nvidia would win... well if Intel turned their efforts to also making GPU's they have even more money than Nvidia do so it is more than beneficial for Nvidia to keep AMD alive.

7. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    yay,more 28nm GPU`s coz thats what ppl need...somebody pls wake me up on full 20nm!Thx!

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Do you have any evidence of this price fixing by nvidia? Remember the gk104 600 series release? It was faster and cheaper than the 7970/50. And the major price gouging on amd gpus in the USA not very long ago due to bit mining?

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    1st AMD company value is smaller than nVidia's, but AMD has higher revenue by nearly 20%.
    2nd making presumption based on low end GPU (750Ti) when scaling is completely unknown is pointless, as we know every architecture proved to be less power efficient with increased complexity (more TMUs/ROPs/Shaders/wider memory bus/...).
    3rd If you believe in some magical technologies on nVidia side, you may find that AMD is behind very existence of that.

4th There is no thing like Price Fixing & nVidia, it's simply invisible hand of market. No person buys product, no product will be sold at given price, if price can't go low enough then there will be no product.

5th GPU high end market is driven again by demand and that is affected by game developers and visual API development. It won't crumble easily. But it is stagnant as is graphical API development.

6th Intel will not compete with nVidia/AMD in high end GPU market. Intel has iGP for simple reason and that is possibility to make low power small footprint devices. (yes, tablet invasion)
    Invading PC market in GPU segment, which is on slow decline, would not be even economical.

As for intel being bigger its just 10 times of nVidia size :) But question is what they stick money into and how much they can take from other projects.

Proper question is: What nVidia may bring which will make AMD customers to switch sides? And what AMD may bring to do same?
    I for sure know AMD is making bold moves and tries to shift PC as a platform into their comfort zone. Instead of swimming with rest of swimmers to build boat and lead all into new architecture.
    It is like x64, we'll have it for some time without proper use and then we'll be happy that it came.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Actually prices were not that bad and nVidia placed their products to be competitive (Here in Czech Republic, they were not so competitive.). And yes, 7950/70 were at that point in time slower as it was before 12.11 drivers.

But much better point is with coming of GTX770 which is 680, even here at same stores side by side 770 was 25% cheaper than 680.
    That was really point where nVidia made prices attractive.

I was checking today current prices here and 780 costs 20% more than r9-290 (non reference PCB+cooler).
    And 780Ti costs 18% more than r9-290x (non reference PCB+cooler).
    I wonder if they are performing that much better or if they are actually equal.
    But at least GTX770 and r9-280x costs around same as they are pretty much equal in performance.

I can for sure confirm that nV is not fixing prices:
    Looking at Card price vs transistor count, 780(Ti) are as "expensive" as r9-290(x) even while their performance per transistor is bit lower.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So they milk it some more? There is reason why i dont update gpu every year, hell 3 years at min before i update, I usual wait till the current gpu dies, before bothering.

12. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    a mother's day website?

wrong section dude

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think GK110 is a good chip, but to make another revision is kinda pointless.. Im sure it will OC better and use lower power, but still would like to see something new with more power for the future.

Well I was gonna upgrade to Maxwell, but now idk, will have to wait and see what's up with this GK204.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD and NVidia were both accused of price fixing in the past. Both settled out of court.

The price gouging was done by retailers, not AMD themselves.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    If any of this is true, I'm happy. Nothing is forcing me to upgrade my gpus. Will most likely wait to see how 20nm chips perform.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    AMD could have stopped the price gouging but instead Sat on their hands.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    How could AMD have stopped it? AMD has no control over retailer pricing. Retailers have the right to set prices at whatever level they see fit.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    How?

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    AMD could have pulled the licences of the retailers or have their partner's stop shipment. Ask Apple how they do it. They are not aloud to sell for more or less than MSRP within a few dollars.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    The 290x was around the $800 mark when I got my cards. I actually saved money buying nvidia.