AMD - No 20nm GPUs This Year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

Source :- Videocard z

My thoughts - Yawn :p

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I wouldn't believe everything written on the net. Remember that amd employee that stated there would be no dx12?

3. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    ...“This unprecedented collaboration will result in a global capacity footprint for 14nm FinFET technology that provides AMD with enhanced capabilities to bring our innovative IP into silicon on leading-edge technologies,” said Lisa Su, senior vice president and general manager of Global Business Units at AMD...
    ...Mass production for the 14nm FinFET technology will begin at the end of 2014.
    http://globalfoundries.com/newsroom...ering-of-14nm-finfet-semiconductor-technology

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Who mentioned Pirates Islands to be released this year?

It was aimed for 2015 from the very beginning, afaik.

5. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Mass production of SOC (system on chip) is what was specifically said. With any shrink, you typically see memory or SOC production for at least 6-12 months before things are good enough to make high power GPU's.

TSMC has been volume producing 20nm SOC's for mobile devices since December.

http://globalfoundries.com/newsroom...ering-of-14nm-finfet-semiconductor-technology[/QUOTE]

6. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Yeah, don't expect anything till next year, and with prices, wouldn't surprise me if they're overpriced.

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Whatever happened to nvidia's Maxwell being dropped in March? I remember Rich_guy posting this article. I thought I read a few places that it's delayed until next year. All of these delays are bumming me out. I really wanted to do a build this summer, and now I've got a new case just staring at me waiting for all my new stuff.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That article says there will be maxwell based cards in march. The 750Ti is maxwell and it's shipping so yeah.

Also it's been known for a while that 20nm is like delayed and bad anyway so the high end maxwell has been delayed because of it.

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Yeah, that's true. I guess I just didn't qualify it since it's 28nm. *sigh*, hurry up nano fabrication plants, haha. If I was super desperate I'd try to go print a few up where I go to school. They got one :D

Of course, I'd need the pcb to actually put the die in, hahaha.