In Defense of FarCry 2 Article

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    [​IMG]

Seeing as though we always seem to come to blows whenever FarCry 2 gets brought up I thought I'd share the following lengthy but equally important article I came across yesterday evening. FarCry 2 haters swallow your pride and take it all in...

Original Source:

http://www.gaminglives.com/2013/01/28/why-far-cry-2-is-better-than-far-cry-3/

Bravo good sir. Bravo.

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    The article in question emphasises one major aspect of FarCry 2 I myself and others have always maintained was one of FC2's strongest overall elements and that is its capability to give the player a story to tell others after continued bouts of playtime. How a completely random series of events would start off so very minuscule and often escalate into something you felt you had to instantly come off the game from to tell others about while it still remained fresh in your mind. I distinctly remember that exact notion many times back in late 2008 unable to contain my excitement over events that had transpired mere moments before. As the article also notes however I rarely if at all had any such moments happen during my many hours playing FarCry 3 outside of say my first crossing of paths with an alligator or other form of wild animal nothing of which like FC2 would actually be based on the transpiring events that I personally set into motion either purposely or indirectly.

Playing a few hours of FarCry 2 almost felt like completing a chapter in a book when it was in full flow and again the article is right in correctly referencing "The Heart of Darkness" with precisely how FC2 played during those many hours. It wasn't just a gaming experience once I realised that underlying tone was as purely evident as the gentle breeze on the Savanna that surrounded me, this was my own personal Heart of Darkness experience and I was dropped directly into the very midst of it all. I am very much a bad man in a very bad place doing bad things but all in the name of survival, that both of my own person and anyone I willingly choose to help out in the process.

The problem with FarCry 3 in so many instances was that it all became far too concentrated on reaching the next tower I could see far off in the distance, disabling it and moving on to the next one even further away. It all just became so very predictable. FarCry 2 however was all about the journey inbetween point A and point B and the consequences of your own actions as you did so, forever a journey into the complete unknown that would either end in abysmal failure or yet another one of those stories I mentioned that you just had to share with others without hesitation.

Try as I might to truly appreciate FarCry 3 my longing for more adventures based on the FarCry 2 template that came before is ever present and no doubt shall remain as such until perhaps FarCry 4 delivers something that helps me tell more of those wonderful stories that FC3 so cruelly failed to deliver.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Sigh.. ill put the popcorn in the microwave. Anyone want some?

I have yet to read the full article. But the first sentance of Farcry 3 being worthy of game of the year (im aware thats nit the authors opinon), blows my mind and frustrates me not just as a gamer, but as a human being.

You can say your intitled to an opinion, yeah you are..but fc3 was a joke, brought nothing new to the genre or industry, played like a pay to win title for tablets with its on screen points , xp, item prompts, kill streaks etc etc... and only had one character worth any screen time... and they killed him off ::3eyes:.

It was a terrible game with nothing good to say of it.

Also the gfx were crap compared to fc2 and fc3's fire was some the worst if seen next the stuff seen in u3 engine based games.

So how bout that popcorn.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    The article does actually state "with some claiming it to be a Game of the Year" and not actually saying it was such in his own opinion. Please continue reading it in full as I'd really like to hear your take on FC2 man. :)

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Algood man, but in my post in brackets i did put that i am aware that its not his opinion.

6. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    My bad. I shall now deliver you some freshly made popcorn in person if you PM me your current address. :D

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Fc2 was the best game in the series for me. Original was ok, but a lot of people put rose tinted glasses on when they think of the original because of its ahead of time visuals. Fc3 was largely meh.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    This discussion... been there, done that.

Only thing "FarCry" related I care about is news on FC4.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Compelety agree with the author. Its been worded in a way that i could never dream of constructing such complete sentences as im about as literate as sloth.

Though i have only 1 praise for fc3 and thats Vas. Its a crime that he was used to such a small extent, but maybe also great at tje sametime as he didnt come across as overused.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    I hated fc 2 hated it, hated everything about it.

fc3 i liked quite a bit though, way more engaguing experience period.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No! No!.. noooooooooooooo! fc3 suxorz!

:D

12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well the gameplay of fc2 was daft. hence it was a bad game. to me i found little of value in it at all. looked decent? not as good as crysis though despite the pr.

fc3 changed alot of what i did not like about fc2, the story was meh, but the island was nice playground, did not ply fc2 long enough to tell anything about the story how much i disliked the design decisions in that game.

tomb raider was goty over fc3 anyway. like tr more than most anything else i played that year.

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    nahp... not listening. nanananah.jks

I hope fc 4 is more interesting.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Far Cry 2 was just terrible in my opinion. I beat it once, then tried to replay it to give it another chance and just hated it. I bought Far Cry 3 but haven't tried it yet.

15. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    FC2 was poop, they can write as many articles as they want, it won't change anything

16. twoodster

twoodster Member Guru

GPU:
    r9 280X
    Respawning enemies just killed the whole game for me. Made clearing out bases/guard posts etc completely pointless because go 100 metres up the road and the enemies would all magically reappear again

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Far Cry 1 just felt more 'PC pure', even if the gameplay was pretty basic. It also has a 64-bit version which was nice :). It seems a bit dated now though, I played a bit of it a few weeks ago (yes, it can be made to run properly and load quickly under Windows 8.1 x64).

18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The article is well written, and clearly explains why he likes FarCry 2. But, it's not going to change someone's opinion if they themselves didn't enjoy playing the game.

It's clear from the article that he found his "sweet spot" while playing it and really enjoyed what he was doing. And that's good, for him.
    But, just because he types it up and presents it doesn't mean other people are going to suddenly go "Oh, I always hated this game... this article is completely right. FarCry 2 is awesome."

Personally, the game is horrible. No amount of well written articles is going to magically change my opinion of that.
    I've played the game, I know how I feel while playing. I hate FC2, and I love FC3.

19. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    To me FC2 was best in series by far. Such an amazing experience. First and third were okay.

20. AliHaider145

AliHaider145 Guest

GPU:
    1 GB
    Well good information about defense of Far cry 2 but try to write article short so that reader can read it full and easily.