AMD FreeSync - driver support

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by spectatorx, Apr 16, 2014.

1. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Anybody knows anything about amd's plans to finally show off freesync in any new driver release? When is it gonna happen?

It was demoed, it is already accepted by vesa, now we need it in driver as hardware should already support it.

2. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    And screen must support it...
    For now AMD has not provided any list and there is a high chance that almost none of the current exiting PC screens will support it one day.
    They claim that "some" may support it after a firmware update but I do not understand why they did not provide a list if it was really the case.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is basically just to make firmware to properly react to given commands and then on manufacturer to properly write firmware for timing decisions.
    My bet is none of current 60Hz will support it.
    Those 120/144Hz with nV Vision3D may be capable to do it, but I do not see manufacturers to give you anything for free.
    And if that by whatever chance happen, then most of those monitors can't be updated by user and has to be sent to manufacturer.

Just wait 2 months for introduction of new monitors. and another 2 for shipping.

Europe may see them just few months after GSync screens.

4. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    "Just to make firmware"
    Yeah, and now show me, how people will update the SW in screens....

5. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    For example my tv has an option to upgrade firmware via usb, i guess most displays with usb ports have an option to do similar thing.

6. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    There could be different between the "OS" on the TV and main firmware...
    Also there are lot of uCPU in TV these days and maybe the main SW isn't able implement such thing...
    It's not so easy. Also probably all computer's screen doesn't have any option to update firmware...

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I heard that eDP screens could work out-of-the-box with FreeSync; no idea how true that is, but my $400 laptop (Acer Aspire V3 551G-X419) has such a screen according to Linux.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    just fyi

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is very big wall between TV and Monitor division with each manufacturer. That is why TVs even today are mostly unusable for gaming due to input lag. (no need to invest into feature which will increase sales by 0.2%)
    I do not expect any TV to have G/FreeSync sooner than year and half after 1st proper monitor which will be here in 2 months.