Gaming Mouse

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by biggi_, Mar 31, 2014.

1. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    I am about to sell my Steelseries Sensi since its a bit lighter than what I wanted. I thought I could get used to it, but in almost a year it still isn't comfortable. I am really debating the Razer Ouroboros since it's very customizable and apparently it's a good weight. Any thoughts?

2. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Razer is not what it used to be. (speaking only from personal experience of course). So far i have had 2 Razer Deathadder 3.5G mice fail on me within less than 6 months. I would not recommend them personally. I have a Logitech G500 and a G400 and they are so far without any issues for the past 7 months.

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    ^ this.

I have two razer products, and my keyboard just flat out sucks. It forgets keys on occasion. Their drivers suck too. If I could go back in time I'd get logitech too.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Roccat Kone XTD

5. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Liking my Corsair M65 very comfortable in the hand, had A Razer Imperator last year just couldn't get used to it for some reason.

6. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I didn't write this but the information is accurate and worth reading. Personally, I use the Zowie EC2 CL Edition.

The mouse

The sensitivity (dpi) of the mouse is not in any way equivalent to the accuracy of the mouse.

Many gaming companies sell laser mice that have "6400 dpi" sensors, this means that you can move across a 1080p screen more than 6 times by moving it an inch. (6400 dpi means that the mouse moves 6400 dots per inch, and 6400 pixels per inch) This is not needed in a game like counter-strike or any game, and 6400 dpi mice are typically less accurate than 400 dpi mice when they are at the same setting.

Now that I've explained that, here are the things that contribute to the tracking of a mouse:

acceleration (makes your cursor go farther (positive acceleration) or less than the place you wanted to go(negative acceleration)

prediction/anglesnapping/drift control (feature that forces your mouse to draw in straight lines)

maxperfect control speed (how fast you can move your mouse until it stops tracking perfectly)

malfunction speed (how fast you can move your mouse without it being unable to track)

lift off distance (how far you have to lift up your mouse to stop it from tracking)

the perfect mouse for you, would be the one that is a SHAPE THAT YOU LIKE, has 0 acceleration, no prediction, a high malfunction/perfect control speed, and a lift off distance that you prefer.

An important part of finding a mouse with a shape you like is finding your preferred grip. Many mice are made based around pleasing players who grip their mice a certain way. Play around and see which of these grips you prefer, and try to factor in what your grip is and what grip the mouse you're looking into purchasing was made for.

Razer's grip guide, describing each common mouse grip: http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic

But how will I find a mouse that fits this criteria?

well, it will have to be an optical mouse which is what most competitive CS players use, every single laser mice has acceleration problems, which you cannot learn to aim with because it changes your aim every single time you go over a slightly different surface (ie: microscopic bumps).

Most good optical mice use an AVAGO-3090 or AVAGO-3050 sensor or similar (many mice use these sensors but have bad firmware that ruin the tracking), avoid pixart sensors such as the ones used in all optical steelseries mice/zowie mico, they have predicition and a low perfect control speed.

Great mice that either use the Avago-3090 sensor or are extremely similar are:

Zowie-EC1 eVo
    Zowie-EC2 eVo
    Zowie-AM
    Zowie-FK
    Logitech G400
    Logitech G400s
    Coolermaster Storm Spawn
    Deathadder 3.5G
    Deathadder Black Edition
    Deathadder 2013 edition
    Abyssus (great shape for quake, not so much for counter-strike)

Worth mentioning:

MX518 (has prediction problems)
    Roccat Savu (has tracking problems on a lot of surfaces)

The MLT-04 Electronics sensor, which is what is used by a lot of professional gamers in Counter-Strike and Quake is found in the old Microsoft mice:

Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1a (IMO 1.1a)
    Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 (IME 3.0)
    Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1a (WMO 1.1a)
    Microsoft Blue Optical Mouse (discontinued since forever lol)

The MLT-04 sensor is great, and is why its still used by some amazing CS players today, it has no prediction, positive acceleration, etc + it includes a great lift off distance

The only problem with these mice is that they get negative acceleration if you pass the max. Perfect Control Speed (which is 1 meter per second at 125hz polling rate, or 1.5 meters per second when overclocked to 500hz or 1000hz, which I will cover how to do later)

If you are looking for a cheap gaming mouse, I recommend the Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1a as it is better than most of every gaming mouse you can find on the market and it costs about $5 on ebay.

how to overclock an MTL-04 mouse on Windows Vista/Windows 7
    http://www.*****.com/news/15043-how-to-increase-usb-sample-rate-in-windows-vista-7-a.html
    (search for a guide on youtube if extra help is needed)

7. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    Im all about the Maxcatz Ratz mouse. I have a Rat 9 and it is a great mouse. They are a bit pricey but you can change and customize pretty much everything there is to the mouse!

Razer mice are ok but I agree they are not what they once where. I dont like them. Personal preference.

8. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I like the Logitech MX518. I just bought 4 of them brand new off eBay @ $40 each. The seller had over 150 to begin with. If you are familiar with this gaming mouse and like it you can still pick one (or more) up. I think I have enough to last me 20 years now!

9. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    I will never buy anything Madcatz again. I had a RAT7 that fell apart as I was taking it out of the packaging (the USB cable fell out of the mouse) and then the second one had no emitter/receiver in it, so I returned it and said screw it. Does anyone here actually have the Ouroboros?

10. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    Also, I was really looking into the Logitech G9, but you can't find them anymore =( anything close to that one that anyone knows of?

11. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I saw mention above the MX518 has mouse prediction. Never heard of it until now and watched a YouTube video demonstrating what it is. I have never had any issues playing games with my MX518. I guess you have to be pretty anal for it to be a bother.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Palm grip = Func MS3

Godlike has nothing on this mouse.

13. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

lol nice, you've stocked up for the end of the world, what's the seller btw? XD:D

rofl

nvm actually lol

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  14. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    ????

15. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    I'm more fingertip/claw style though...

16. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    The butt of my hand rests on the table. My hand and fingers arch over the mouse with the pointer and middle fingers resting on the buttons. The thumb just touching against the left side and my ring finger just touching the right side. My hand forms a sort of cage in this way. I move my hand...not the mouse.

17. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    [​IMG]

My recommendation: If you claw-grip with small/medium size hands, get the Zowie FK (2014 Edition). Mouse is as close to perfect as you can get. If you have large hands... why are you claw gripping? Get a Zowie eVo EC2 or Deathadder. G400 is also an excellent, excellent choice. It's basically an improved MX518.

Also, your mousepad is just as important as your mouse. If you plan on using a crap mousepad from Staples, printer paper, your desk, etc., you're seriously hindering your mouse's performance to the point where it doesn't even matter what mouse you use.

Hope this helps...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    change your style and pwn

19. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    I find it hard to get a good mouse. Best thing I have found so far to date was the Rat 7 from Cyborg! Check it out mate.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    the pic above... to say the g9x is a sh1t mouse is just rubbish.