ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti Matrix Platinum Edition review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Great review Hilbert. Just a suggestion/question but don't you think its time for more up-to-date games to be included in reviews? Eg. AC4:BF , BF4 etc ?

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I just got Thief which will be added, and BF4 is already in the test-suite mate.

AC4 is Ubisoft, and after all the DRM drama and multiple keys I have to buy to run their games on multiple PCs I refuse to use Ubi games any longer for testing.

4. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Okay that makes sense, sorry totally missed BF4 in the review. Nice card btw.

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Great writeup boss as always. Also that mem OC!! Valley benchers and other's similar will love this card. :D

6. Segamon

Segamon Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    thanks Hilbert.
    a beautiful card but this doesn't justify the criminal price tag.
    let's see how the Matrix 290x will fair.

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    ^I'm wondering the same.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Funny to see how Hitman Absolution is bottnecked by cpu, imo boss you would need 4930K or Haswell for that :nerd:

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Well coolice is the asus guy I think so you never know it may never make retail because they only made 10 of them.
    So who knows but If you get one can i borrow it? :nerd:

12. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Great review.. The overclock is about normal though for every other 780Ti you see out there... Its untill you get a voltage unlocker tool and take it up to 1.3+ is where you see some massive improvments.. On my Classy, I am running ~1300core and 8000+mem. All on stock cooling and never getting over 83c at 80% fan control. Id like to see what this can do at the 1.3 range.

13. tktk104

tktk104 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 Ti-DC2O-2GD5
    GTX 780 Ti Matrix Platinum Ed Review

No one, and I mean NO ONE in the world does a review as thoroughly as you!

After reading this review, except for the price tag, my mouth is watering just to see this card in action! :)

Thanks so much for all your wonderful work at Guru3D .... I have appreciated your reviews and recommendations for a long time! I look forward to reading any you post in the future ... I have confidence in your work to keep us all informed and updated.

Again, thanks so much for all your hard work! I love this site!! :thumbup:

14. zzzaac

zzzaac Guest

GPU:
    -
    It's interesting to see the difference in temperature between the 290X version and the 780Ti. If it's the same cooler, I wonder why the 290X is a whole lot hotter

15. vajoiner

vajoiner Guest

GPU:
    Mystique G200
    what would be really nice is if this can connect to the rog OC panel. one touch extreme oc on cpu and gpu's plus fan control all at once.

16. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    I know I'm a bit late but let this serve as a "real life" experience with this card.

I bought one due to having issues with a couple of other brands, the temps in Hilbert's review were amazing, I understand this all on an open air test bench, but usually once you get it in a case you may see 10c difference.

Well my card sits at 81/82c running any game, far from the high 60's in the review.
    It's never been over the threshold temps, but that still the highest temps I've seen on a custom cooler.
    Even Asus brag about 70c temps on their website.
    The fans run at 56% and never go over that, if you manually increase the fan speed the card vibrates and hums horribly until 85%

So after emailing Asus they replied telling me 81c is "normal" for short periods and that the noise is due to the fan design.
    But if I'm not happy I could always RMA the card to my supplier.
    My supplier charges $50 if no fault found and Asus are claiming its normal.

So I went and asked about water cooling due to having the stupid sticker on the heat sink screw,
    my response from Asus left me in shock

Yes a reference comparing a video card to a new car????
    Well I can upgrade my cooling on my car without voiding warranty.

So yep this premium "Designed for overclocking" card doesn't allow for any other cooling but stock cooling which has horrible performance.
    I've spoken to 8 people so far from different countries who have the same temp issues.

Mine is in a Phanteks Enthoo Primo with plenty of cooling, including 2 intakes at the bottom, there is no way a GPU with proper cooling should reach those temps.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Damn thought a new card was released.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well open bench can lower few temps.

If I were you I would get rid of that gpu and get Zotac with AMP fan, Imo top cooling and rather quiet too.

I wasnt a fan of it until I got it, Oc'ed to 1215mhz it won't go over 75C in any scenario at auto fan up to ~70% (barely audible until ~ 75%), usually its 60-70C :)

my case is Haf932 with stock fans.

19. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Can't get the Zotac anywhere locally.

I wanted to get a water block from EKWeb, they have them in stock, yet with a stupid response like that from Asus shows they really don't have any idea when releasing a "enthusiast" over clocking card.
    But don't touch the screw on the back in any way, shape or form then you'll have no warranty.

At least eVGA allow you to remove the cooler and water cool, and as long as there is no physical damage (which we all know is very easy to spot even water leakage) they'll do warranty on the card.

This was just a heads up for people who are thinking about buying one for water cooling and over clocking.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Unsure if it's like this everywhere but changing the cooler does indeed void the warranty most of the time since you modified the card, heh even something relatively simple like updating the bios can void the warranty although the car comparison is somewhat of a strange response but I guess they just tried to be clear about it, maybe?