Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

ASUS Launches Essence STX II and Essence STX II 7.1 Sound Cards
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 5960K
Mainboard: X99
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default ASUS Launches Essence STX II and Essence STX II 7.1 Sound Cards - 03-14-2014, 08:12 | posts: 21,694 | Location: Guru3D testlab

ASUS today announced Essence STX II and Essence STX II 7.1, two new Hi-Fi-grade sound cards designed to delight audiophiles with 124 dB signal-to-noise-ratio (SNR) clarity and a 600 ohm-headphone ampl...

ASUS Launches Essence STX II and Essence STX II 7.1 Sound Cards

Old
  (#2)
RED_404

Videocard: SapphireR9-290xBlkSceenEd
Processor: AMD1090T@4GHZ needupgrade
Mainboard: GA-990FXA-UD5 needupgrade
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: E17/Shure-SRH840
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default 03-14-2014, 08:48 | posts: 26 | Location: Waverly, KS

Or never touch a sound card again. Get a good DAC and never deal with crap drivers, distorted DSPs, high CPU usage doto the crap drivers and no high DPC/kernel interrupts and better system stability.

Old
  (#3)
Ch0plol
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 770 4GB
Processor: Intel i5 3570K @ 4400MHz
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme3
Memory: 8GB Trident X @ 2400MHz
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DGX
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus (550W)
Default 03-14-2014, 08:52 | posts: 125 | Location: San Diego, CA

ASUS soundcard driver support is nonexistent. If it wasn't for the guy who makes the UNi Xonar drivers the cards would only be useful as a paperweight.

Old
  (#4)
HonoredShadow
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 970 SLI OC+ASUS Swift
Processor: 2700k@4.8 Noctua NH-U12P
Mainboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 16GB Corsair 1866mhz
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX PCI-E
PSU: 1300W EVGA SuperNOVA
Default 03-14-2014, 08:58 | posts: 3,696 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_404 View Post
Or never touch a sound card again. Get a good DAC and never deal with crap drivers, distorted DSPs, high CPU usage doto the crap drivers and no high DPC/kernel interrupts and better system stability.
OOOh! Please tell me more! This is all very new to me. What pumps out the sound then if you have no sound card?

Old
  (#5)
moab600
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 780 AMP 1267/7300MHZ
Processor: Core I7 4790K 4.6GHZ DC
Mainboard: Asus Z97 PRO 1204
Memory: 8GB DDRIII 1866MHZ
Soundcard: Asus Xonar STX II Z906
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 650W 85+Br
Default 03-14-2014, 09:45 | posts: 4,654 | Location: Israel

Looks good but they come with DHT software which i hated with my phoebus, and Asus driver support is poor to say at least.

Old
  (#6)
miffywiffy
Master Guru

Videocard: 750ti
Processor: 4770k
Mainboard: ASRock > Z97E-ITX/ac
Memory: 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 750watt
Default 03-14-2014, 10:03 | posts: 543 | Location: MK

Sound cards are ****, high latency, driver issues and the sound quality isn't better, they just have a built in amp to be louder. I don't even use my Asus any more due to so many issues I used to have with it and they never update their drivers. Rocksmith doesn't even work with it because of the latency the card generates.

Old
  (#7)
kosh_neranek
Master Guru

Videocard: SLI MSi GTX 660Ti PE@1190
Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K @ 4.8
Mainboard: ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
Memory: 16 GB 2133MHZ G.Skill
Soundcard: TRITTON 720+
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 03-14-2014, 12:24 | posts: 207 | Location: Dublin

Drivers may not be the best but I sure had fun listening to jazz through Essence STX & Sennheiser HD600. Think am gonna buy the new version and get myself HD650 as well.

Old
  (#8)
FULMTL
Ancient Guru

Videocard: AOC 27"
Processor: Intel N2830 laptop :(
Mainboard: New build later
Memory: DEAD
Soundcard: ShureSRH940+ JDS Labs C5D
PSU: DEAD
Default 03-14-2014, 12:56 | posts: 6,735 | Location: Tokyo, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoredShadow View Post
OOOh! Please tell me more! This is all very new to me. What pumps out the sound then if you have no sound card?
USB DAC/amp- digital to analog converter + amplifier
Some have an amp built in. Do note that an amp isn't just for increasing volume. It also increases the quality and can change the characteristics of a headphone. So best to have a good headphone(s) first before you have a higher end amp.
Prepare your wallet...

Last edited by FULMTL; 03-14-2014 at 13:08.

Old
  (#9)
HonoredShadow
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 970 SLI OC+ASUS Swift
Processor: 2700k@4.8 Noctua NH-U12P
Mainboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 16GB Corsair 1866mhz
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX PCI-E
PSU: 1300W EVGA SuperNOVA
Default 03-14-2014, 13:21 | posts: 3,696 | Location: UK

Thanks FULMTL. So are all sound cards rubbish then? High latency and bad drivers?

Old
  (#10)
ClexRex
Member Guru

Videocard: 780 Classified / R9 290
Processor: Intel 4770k 4.9ghz 1.45v
Mainboard: MSI Mpower Max
Memory: Adata 8gb 2600
Soundcard: Creative Z
PSU: Corsair AX860 Plat.
Default 03-14-2014, 14:02 | posts: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoredShadow View Post
Thanks FULMTL. So are all sound cards rubbish then? High latency and bad drivers?
Ive been using creative sound cards for years now using the x-fi and it is very nice never have issues with it..even with my descent on board sound from the asus maximus formula...the sound card still produces much clearer and crisp sounds its esp noticeable in games like gw2 where lots of sounds are being created in large battles...with on board its much more mashes together and unclear....if you cant notice the difference you either cant hear or should not buy asus sound cards...... lol

Old
  (#11)
sverek
Maha Guru

Videocard: HD7850
Processor: i5 2500k
Mainboard: P8Z68-V
Memory: Corsair Ven. 8GB
Soundcard: Xonar DG
Default 03-14-2014, 14:12 | posts: 1,423 | Location: Japan, Soka

Never had any issues with simple Xonar DG and its night and day comparing to mobo's audio.

Old
  (#12)
War child
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780 SLI
Processor: Intel 3570k @ 4.5ghz
Mainboard: Sabertooth Z77
Memory: GSkill Ripjaw 8Gb 2133mhz
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Seasonic 850W
Default 03-14-2014, 14:53 | posts: 263 | Location: Oslo

Asus own STX drivers are bad. but someone did make a 3rd party Xonar driver which is lightweight and addresses alot of issues. I use it for my current STX and its far better.

Old
  (#13)
schmidtbag
Master Guru

Videocard: HIS R9 290
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 03-14-2014, 14:58 | posts: 466 | Location: MA, USA

Unless you wear headphones or care about analog recording quality, I really don't understand the point of modern discrete sound cards these days. SPDIF on integrated audio or HDMI audio is already good enough - get yourself a good sound receiver and you'll be all set for the years to come. Your speakers are only as good as the lowest quality part, so even if you're paying for a high-end sound card, if the speakers themselves or the transistors driving them are crap then you're still going to get bad sound.

I also think that supreme sound quality is just a placebo. People need to justify paying several hundred dollars/euros on something they're physically incapable of noticing so they just believe they notice a difference. Then again, you could say the same about people who buy the latest i7 every time a new one comes out.

Old
  (#14)
Wormwood
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 780 Ghz
Processor: i5 2500k @4.7Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Memory: 8GB Corsair Veng 1600Mhz
Soundcard: Xonar D2X & Somic MH463
PSU: Seasonic X-750 Gold
Default 03-14-2014, 17:40 | posts: 1,602 | Location: Temeswar, Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverek View Post
Never had any issues with simple Xonar DG and its night and day comparing to mobo's audio.
Same with mine.

Old
  (#15)
gapson

Videocard: Radeon HD7870
Processor: i7-3770S
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Cooler Master
Default 03-14-2014, 19:30 | posts: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_404 View Post
Can't agree more on that!

Get a DAC headphone amp, good 2.0 speaker and headphone and you will see the difference!

These Asus and Creative are making huge market share in PC sound sector, but their SQ are real bad and they are not cheap at all, the value you paid for could get a much better gear in DAC and speakers!

Old
  (#16)
sverek
Maha Guru

Videocard: HD7850
Processor: i5 2500k
Mainboard: P8Z68-V
Memory: Corsair Ven. 8GB
Soundcard: Xonar DG
Default 03-14-2014, 20:35 | posts: 1,423 | Location: Japan, Soka

I can't believe people found to argue about something and its not "Nvidia VS Amd".

Quote:
Get a DAC headphone amp, good 2.0 speaker and headphone and you will see the difference!
Great! but how much that cost?

I got Xonar DG to drive Sennheiser 595 for $20. And it was quite an upgrade in audio quality.

Old
  (#17)
gapson

Videocard: Radeon HD7870
Processor: i7-3770S
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Cooler Master
Default 03-15-2014, 07:12 | posts: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverek View Post
I can't believe people found to argue about something and its not "Nvidia VS Amd".

Great! but how much that cost?

I got Xonar DG to drive Sennheiser 595 for $20. And it was quite an upgrade in audio quality.

I got the Essence STX a while ago and a DAC from Audio-GD, prices between them are marginal. The SQ is much comparable and you may google it to find some discussions and impressions.

Old
  (#18)
leeaids
Member Guru

Videocard: Nvidia Gtx 690
Processor: Intel I7 3930k @4.4
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth X79
Memory: Corsair platinum 16gb
Soundcard: Asus Xonar/ Mackie HR824s
Default 03-15-2014, 10:50 | posts: 84 | Location: England

iv been using an asus essence stx for a wile now and as i use a pair of mackie hr 824s, before the sound card i used on bord sound, i can tell you for sure a sound card makes all the diffrtence if your using decent speakers,

on bord sound is ok for day to day use but not for good much else

Old
  (#19)
FULMTL
Ancient Guru

Default 03-15-2014, 12:00 | posts: 6,735 | Location: Tokyo, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
Unless you wear headphones or care about analog recording quality, I really don't understand the point of modern discrete sound cards these days. SPDIF on integrated audio or HDMI audio is already good enough - get yourself a good sound receiver and you'll be all set for the years to come. Your speakers are only as good as the lowest quality part, so even if you're paying for a high-end sound card, if the speakers themselves or the transistors driving them are crap then you're still going to get bad sound.

I also think that supreme sound quality is just a placebo. People need to justify paying several hundred dollars/euros on something they're physically incapable of noticing so they just believe they notice a difference. Then again, you could say the same about people who buy the latest i7 every time a new one comes out.

Go to a headphone store and tell me you won't notice the difference between sound quality when you have a wall like this in front of you. You can even measure the differences between a poor headphone and a quality one. You can even see a sound signature just by looking at the wave pattern. However you seem to be too ignorant to even try and you are just missing out.

Last edited by FULMTL; 03-15-2014 at 12:04.

Old
  (#20)
CronoGraal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD6870 1GB
Processor: Intel Q9450 @ 3.4ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X48-DQ6
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair 750W TX
Default 03-15-2014, 12:06 | posts: 3,855 | Location: Sweden

audigy se + steelseries siberia v2. come at me.

Old
  (#21)
Andrew LB
Master Guru

Videocard: PNY GTX 780 ti @ 1,143mhz
Processor: i5-4670K @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: Asrock z87 Extreme4
Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Corsair HX-850
Default 03-15-2014, 13:16 | posts: 445 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffywiffy View Post
Sound cards are ****, high latency, driver issues and the sound quality isn't better, they just have a built in amp to be louder.
Talk about the biggest load of crap i've read on the net in a long time. I have zero driver issues with my x-fi titanium HD, latency is normal, and the sound quality completely obliterates any onboard sound. I guess they may sound the same with a pair of $15 headphones, but if you actually had quality studio monitors or headphones like my Sennheiser HD580's, the difference is like night and day.

Old
  (#22)
Andrew LB
Master Guru

Videocard: PNY GTX 780 ti @ 1,143mhz
Processor: i5-4670K @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: Asrock z87 Extreme4
Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Corsair HX-850
Default 03-15-2014, 13:19 | posts: 445 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULMTL View Post
Go to a headphone store and tell me you won't notice the difference between sound quality when you have a wall like this in front of you. You can even measure the differences between a poor headphone and a quality one. You can even see a sound signature just by looking at the wave pattern. However you seem to be too ignorant to even try and you are just missing out.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/71/711b388e...1504998_n.jpeg
OH...my...God... that is one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen. Do such places exist in the United States? Or do I have to make the Journey to Japan to experience such glory?

Old
  (#23)
orky87
Member Guru

Videocard: Ref_GTX680@1333_H2O_620
Processor: 2700K@4.9_Offset+HT_H100i
Mainboard: P8Z68_Deluxe
Memory: 8GB_G.Skill_Sniper@1886
Soundcard: Xonar_D2X+UNi Xonar v1.71
PSU: Seasonic_X-750
Default 03-15-2014, 23:03 | posts: 122 | Location: https://

Sound cards are a must for gaming that said there no point in spending 150-200 on one, fooling yourself into believing that it's a great audio solution.

With that money or for a little bit more (or less if second hand) you could invest in an external USB DAC/Amp and move it from one source to another without having to limit yourself to PCI/e only.

Sound cards get their power from PSUs which can be electrically noisy and as it sits inside your case jammed beside a GPU they are surrounded by EMI. These two valid factors don't go well with audio and are often brought up in arguments against sound cards.

Moving to external audio eliminates EMI and most USB DAC/Amp combo's also benefit from plug&play with native OS driver support.

As an example of what could be had instead of a sound card here's a list of credible combo's that will do a great job yet don't have a ridiculous Audiophile price tag attached to them;

-Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.MKII
-JDS Labs or Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, (UK Ver. Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D)
-Audinst HUD-mx2 or cheaper mx1
-Yulong U100

Getting ether one of the above is all you really need to replace a sound card, I'm sure there are others to consider but the list consists of very credible audio combo's. There's not much out there that matches this level of bang for buck really.

Old
  (#24)
FULMTL
Ancient Guru

Default 03-16-2014, 00:09 | posts: 6,735 | Location: Tokyo, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
OH...my...God... that is one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen. Do such places exist in the United States? Or do I have to make the Journey to Japan to experience such glory?
The closest you can get to this is in the US is the Headroom store in Montana.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...eadphone-store

They will most likely have headphones worth listening to and not everything in a lineup as they do in Japan. Quality vs quantity. According to the above link, he says there's about 10 headphone stores in the US.

Last edited by FULMTL; 03-16-2014 at 00:20.

Old
  (#25)
ASLayerAODsk
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x R9 280x Gb/His
Processor: Intel i7 4820k 3.7/3.9 WC
Mainboard: Asus P9X79LE
Memory: DDR3 16G Patriot 1600
Soundcard: XonarSTX/NAD7120/B&WDM610
PSU: CMaster SilentPro 1Kw
Default 03-16-2014, 03:38 | posts: 702 | Location: Canada

I wonder how big the difference will be from the STX to the II....if any.