ssssssst... POP! Went my Dell 2407WFP.

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Andrew LB, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    So about 5 minutes ago the most bizarre thing happened to my secondary display, a Dell 2407wfp. I had just finished playing a game on my Dell U2410 and went to display settings to turn on the 2407wfp, and instead of coming out of standby mode I hear "ssssssst.. POP!". Damn thing scared me half to death, it being 3:45am. I seriously jumped about a foot out of my seat. LoL.

Has anyone ever had this happen or heard of such a thing? In 20 years of building, repairing, upgrading, etc my own and hundreds of customers computers I've never heard of such a thing. The display seems to be completely dead which means it more than likely blew a capacitor on the power board, which is a repair I've done a few times in the past so I'm not overly worried. I've just never seen one go with such a loud noise!

I guess tomorrow I'll be taking it apart and if the carnage is abnormally bad, i'll definitely post up some pictures.

man... i was nice and relaxed, ready to go to bed... and now i'm all wound up from that unexpected scare. lol. so much for quality sleep... ugh.

edit:

I just looked up capacitor repair kits and here is the power board. I'm guessing what blew was that one big dog in the middle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've had a few CRTs blow and smoke like hell, but never had an LCD fail in such a manor as described. Both of mine went quietly.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    While I have no technical input on this, can I give merit points for the picture in my head after reading this title!? ;)

4. choppeduppork

choppeduppork Guest

GPU:
    2x toxic 6950 1x 6770
    First off, i am posting this for other people with this problem to read.

Same thing happened to me, after some looking i found it is indeed the capacitor in the center.
    I also found the specs on it since it's hard to get to:
    120uf
    450v
    105°C