Possible to buy games for PC without using steam?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damage_Plan, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    I know there are sites that feature games that dont require steam. but they dont have the big name games like COD or other HUGE name titles...

i mean is it possible to buy a F***in copy of Call of duty Ghosts without having it linked to an online digital distribution platform??? The offline mode in steam says its offline but needs to reconnect every so often in order for me to play my damn games..... i ask because of that reason and this other reason: i plan to build a computer for complete Offline usage (indefinitely and want) to be able to play all of my games without issue.

Someone help me!

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The only way I can see that being viable is if you uhh.. "modified" your games to run without steam. As long as you genuinely own a copy I don't really see the problem with it, but it can be considered a bit of a grey area. You'd need to transfer the needed files from an online PC though, a USB stick would do the job for it.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No. You will have to resort to unauthorized copies for what you're asking.

4. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    this is BS.... I remember a time when i bought a game outright and was able to play it whenever i wanted and WITHOUT internet.... its a damn shame they way PC games have come to be...I had soo many issues with my steam bought copy of Batman Arkham city and Arkham asylum it was ridiculous... I upgraded my hardware/software like 20 times in the past 4 years and because of this, i had to reinstall my games several times.... for a long time i couldnt even play my Batman AC copy because its activation limit was past 5.. so essentially i had a game in my steam library that would look at me and taunt me to play it and fondle it, but i couldnt touch it.... Finally steam made it a GOTY edition and stripped it of GFWL so now im able to play it again- this is the type of **** im talking about........ You PAY 60 f***in dollars for a game and you can only play it online AND/ OR you can only install it 5 times..... im soo tired of this bullsh*t

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Welcome to the digital online world. Get over it or go live in a cave somewhere.

Maybe you should fondle your games some more. Might get rid of some stress.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The good news is that garbage is dead now. Plain steam for a vast majority of the games and a few have that rockstar non-sense or uplay.

7. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
  8. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    btw i had the same problem with activation issues/limits and offline mode in all of these games as well at least more than 4 times a piece.. (its all documented how many times exactly over EA chat/emails back and fourth with support for each developer/publisher for each game listed here)

*Mass effect 1& 2 + dlc

* Tom Clancy's GRAW- i havent been able to play this even since the first week after i bought it. the Activation key D2d gave me( before they were bought out by GF, didnt work ever...

* Crysis 1 Maximum edition

*Mirrors Edge (i cannot currently play this. EA chat support said they reset my activation limit after giving them my key but it still wont let me play)

* Red alert 3 + expansion (I have Original DVD copies of all of the C&C series- C&C the first Decade on PCDVD-(wont work with W7 or W8), Red alert 3 on PCDVD, C&C Tiberium wars+ Kanes Wrath on PCdvd and the Digital download versions because the digital versions will not let me activate anymore.)

* C&C 4 Tiberium Twilight

*Spore + expansions

*Split Second (i cannot currently play this even tho i bought it outright- activation limit exceeded)
    * Halo 2 PC (works now after 2 years of not being able to activate it, I finally called MS to get it reactivated)

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    All of them Securom titles from the looks of it. Steam version of mirror's edge doesn't have that activation crap i think.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I agree with the Halo 2 one. I had to call MS to get another reactivation for that one and I had to send them a picture of the DVD plus read the numbers out to them that were on the inner ring of the disc.

11. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    i dunno man, i think i might actually be done with major purchases on PC.... I think Buying Ghosts will be my last major purchase

I have spent a SIZABLE sizable amount of money on games and half of them will not work on machines if i go offline for more than one month.

12. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    That sux hahhaha i didnt have to do all that actually.. but i did have to have a support dude connect to my desktop remotely to rectify a problem i had with H2v running on my W7 installation. and then he activated it manually... it took an hour and a half (and two support tickets total) to get mine resolved

13. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I am with you Damage_Plan, this on-line crap is, well... crap!

I understand that the developers claim they are losing countless millions in profits, although they will never see another dime from me (here in my dank old cave).

But to me, SecuRom is far better than an always-on connection that may be uploading God-only-knows-what to the 'service providers'. I do not trust any one of them any more than I trust the NSA.

14. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    well when you put it that way i guess im ok with securom also... :)

15. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I've got RA3, Mirrors Edge and Mass Effect on steam and had no problems installing/reinstalling etc ever with them. I honestly don't mind steam and if you think you can play all of your games offline think again as you can't legitimately do so.

The time for owning games has long sailed by and we didn't even notice. You can get stuff from GOG without online activations or call-ins but you'll never get a Call of Duty game on PC like that legally.

As much as people on this forum slag off consoles they do have the advantage of being able to be played offline and have some form of retail value.

16. GPU

GPU Guest

No. You will have to resort to unauthorized copies for what you're asking.
    this is why and people will yell at any attempt to shut down illegal downloads so real owners / people pay more. but a uncontrolled net. is worth you paying more right?????

17. StannieDum

StannieDum Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
    I will NEVER endorse piracy. It's theft pure and simple, but I also hate 3rd party DRM software that is required to run all the modern AAA titles, so ...

Buy your game legitimately, then hop over to gamecopyworld for DRM free executables. Replace the game's official exe with the one you download, then move the game folder out of the Steam\SteamApps\common folder to wherever you want it and run the game from there.

You can then uninstall Steam altogether and play the game the way it should be played without any crap 3rd party software.

18. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    didnt steam come with an offline mode?

nevermind, just read :pc1:

19. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    This is why I buy my games at gog whenever I get the chance.

But if you want to get your games through the proper means, you'll often still be stuck with one or more DRM clients these days (Steam, or monstrosities like Origin, UPlay and Rockstar social club, or even multiple ones for a single game).

Let's also not forget the fall of microsofts GFWL, which caused some games to disappear entirely, DLC or even entire games cannot be played anymore (but cracked versions can :S)

That's why I rarely buy my games full-price anymore. I'd rather wait a few months. It's the wiser thing to do considering the multitude of crappy releases these days. That way the games I buy are much cheaper ánd more polished by the time I buy them...

20. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    The truth is you dont really own steam games. If for some reason steam goes down your games are poof, gone. You basically pay money to be allowed access for however long they decide to allow you that. Imagine if you owned a sony TV, sony in this alternative universe goes down, men show up at your place and say sorry, Sony went broke you can't have this TV any more. It's not steam in specific that is the issue, it's the principle behind this whole digital copy software distribution practice and the 3rd party gated access.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.