Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Amazon Considering Raising Yearly “Prime” Membership by up to $40
Old
  (#1)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 780 Lightning SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Default Amazon Considering Raising Yearly “Prime” Membership by up to $40 - 02-02-2014, 21:42 | posts: 12,954 | Location: USA

Quote:
Amazon today said it's "considering" raising the price of its $79 per year Prime service to customers in the US by another $20 to $40. The possible increase — which has not been finalized — was announced during the company's fourth quarter earnings call with analysts, and due to higher costs of shipping goods, Amazon CFO Tom Szkutak said. Prime was launched nine years ago, and now has "tens of millions of customers globally," Szkutak said. More than 19 million items on Amazon are prime eligible, something that gives subscription buyers free two-day shipping. Amazon's also added to it beyond product shipping by giving Prime subscribers free book borrowing for some Kindle titles as well as access to streaming movies and TV shows. Szkutak dodged a question during the call about whether any of those services might be broken out into separate and potentially less expensive subscriptions.

The possible increase comes just three months after Amazon raised the threshold for free shipping on product orders from $25 to $35, a move that came without explanation from the company.
Source

Meh. As a Prime member, I'm not really sure what to think about this.. I mean an extra $40 a year added to what I already spend with them really isn't that bad.

Old
  (#2)
Elder III
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI R9 290 4GB 5760x1080
Processor: Intel i7 3770K @ 4.2 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD45
Memory: 12 GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek
PSU: Corsair CX-600
Default 02-02-2014, 22:53 | posts: 2,369 | Location: Ohio

Well, I'm a Prime member too and I have to say it's a heckuva bargain at it's current price. I don't like any increase in prices, but I can understand this with how high shipping costs are now compared to 3 years ago, let alone 6 or more. It would still be worth it for the way we use it now. :/

Old
  (#3)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Realtek® ALC887-VD
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 02-02-2014, 22:56 | posts: 16,103 | Location: US East Coast

They raise the price, I cancel my prime membership.... Nice that they intend to single out customers in the US.....

Old
  (#4)
WindtalkerCS
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 280's
Processor: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X58-UD5
Memory: OCZ PC-12800 3x2gig
Soundcard: Presonus Firepod
PSU: Enermax Revolution 1050w
Default 02-03-2014, 16:37 | posts: 437 | Location: Upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
They raise the price, I cancel my prime membership.... Nice that they intend to single out customers in the US.....
In case you haven't noticed, the US is quite a bit larger than say, the UK. Shipping from CA to NY is a lot more expensive than from any other country that has amazon prime.

Old
  (#5)
Icanium
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 670 Sli / nVidia 3D
Processor: i7 3770K
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77 V-Pro
Memory: 16 gb G.SKILL DDR3 2400
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Xense
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200
Default 02-03-2014, 17:25 | posts: 1,053 | Location: Detroit,MI.USA

Iam a prime member too. If the price is jacked up over $20.00 I doubt I will renew.

Old
  (#6)
Black_ice_Spain
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7850 1gb @ 1120mhz
Processor: 2500K @ 4.4 / 1.28v
Mainboard: Z77P-D3
Memory: 8gb 1600 CL9
Soundcard: Xonar DG
PSU: AC Strike-X 600W
Default 02-03-2014, 17:38 | posts: 4,348 | Location: Spain

considering that in Europe we have 4+ amazons with different prices and stupidly high ones in many of them compared to other shops/amazon (i buy 50% of my products of UK, instead of spanish amazon). I find our 14€ prime to be mostly useless, but if I had a good amazon where i can buy almost everything with good prices... probably i would pay upto 20€, but 40$ seems a little high IMO (depends in which salary you are in US of course).