AMD 2013 Fourth Quarter and Annual Results

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD announced revenue for the fourth quarter of 2013 of $1.59 billion, operating income of $135 million and net income of $89 million, or $0.12 per share. The company reported non-GAAP operating incom...

AMD 2013 Fourth Quarter and Annual Results

2. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    when are these guys gonna learn how to make money?

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

People need to buy their stuff for them to make money, in particularly the APU's etc. AMD can't improve the APU's etc beyond what they are currently because they need profit for R&D, so the circle of decline is self fulfilling. Also Intel have the brand name, which is probably the only reason why the Pentium 4 sold so well, particularly the socket 478's in comparison to the then AMD CPU's at the time.

Intel's profits are so high because they can afford to saturate the market with dozens of similar CPU's with not much price difference, which is something you can really only achieve if you're already in a good position. If you aren't, market consolidation if the route to take. Also Intel do charge quite a bit, especially considering the price difference between the i5-4670K and the i7-4770K, realistically the i7-4770K is not worth anywhere near the difference reflected in the price. It would be interesting to know how much more expensive it is for Intel the make the i7-4770K than the i5-4670K in real terms. Also most people are buying something they don't use (the on-die GPU). This is different to the AMD's APU's simply because people buying them aren't typically going to put a GTX 780 Ti or a R9-290X on it, it's more for the benefit of a low end gaming rig, HTPC, basic Office computer, and that is where AMD are better.

Intel really need a kick in the pants though in the mid end CPU market (i5-4670K etc), which in turn would also follow through to the higher end. AMD can still achieve this, but it would require a much more modern CPU, new motherboard and chipset, and an 8-core CPU option :). Having it as an APU and able to crossfire with any then current AMD GPU's (and not just very specific GPU's) would go a long way also. The Crossfire doesn't have to be a 50/50 split, it could be even 30/70, or 15/35/35 if you have two discrete cards. This is unlikely to happen, but it would certainly give AMD a massive leg-up if they manage much better IPC performance with Excavator, utilise DDR4, PCI-E 4.0, SATA Express etc., and be on at least 20 nm tech (if not 16 nm).

4. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Sorry but I fail to see where they are not making money.
    both 2012, 2013 positive operatiing income , and in non-gaap x2 times on 2013 from 2012

yes, net income is a loss but their sales figures hold, making the net loss of 2013 smaller then 2012 (that is to some exent, a good trend)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I hope they can do better more competition means better prices. Intels prices have been inflating steadily since sandy bridge with no real competition.

6. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I was going to post a comment, then I read yours. A cogent explanation if I ever did read one.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Should be making quite a bit with the mining craze. :p

8. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    yeah...equilibrium for PRICE v/s PERFORMANCE.....//// = Customer Satisfaction = PROFIT!

Investment which is transparent (the digits)..... is only for media.....:confused:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014