You will still need to activate Windows XP after April 8th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    If XP isn't supported any more (April) should anyone worry if the OS is genuinely activated or not? Once M$ stops working on the security/hotfixes then there's no lo$$ and no argument right?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Obviously you still need to activate, it's not as if they're gonna send out some major update that removes activation code from the entire OS

4. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    It will take a while before XP properly goes off the map and dies, I'd imagine there will be unofficial extended support for it and if not then running it virtually will make it somewhat immune to exploits.

Can't wait to see how long before the market share starts to drop and at what rate. It'd be hilarious to see it holding up till 2020 or beyond. Time will tell!

Or M$ could get their act together and release something better than Metro something a bit more involving.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    pointless really, XP is only really used on older PC's anyway, I see no one installing XP now if they are a gamer (unless its a dual boot or a virtual machine).

The only PC's I see with XP on them now is office PC's used as a business PC.

6. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    In the same way you still have to enter the code on Win95, Win98, WinME, etc etc. For WinXP it probably still connects online to verify you have a legit copy, but that's more them "fighting piracy".

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It would have to connect to activate, otherwise the grace period will expire and the windows install will be useless

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Indeed. Rarely do I see a private user using Windows XP. However, businesses still seem to use XP, banks being one of them...

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The software we had at work at my old job was only using XP because the the company of the software didnt want to spend time and money on making it compatible for 7 and up.

10. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Your rightio, boobs.