Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Windows 9 2015
Old
  (#1)
Satin_Knight

Videocard: EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
Processor: Intel i7 Quad Core 3.5GHZ
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65
Memory: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB
Soundcard:
PSU: EVGA Super Nova 1300W
Default Windows 9 2015 - 01-12-2014, 05:39 | posts: 27 | Location: Colorado

Article about Windows 9

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/win...5_already.html

Old
  (#2)
(.)(.)
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 580sli (water)
Processor: 2600k @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus M4E
Memory: Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Enermax Rev 1250w
Default 01-12-2014, 06:17 | posts: 5,136 | Location: Logd n jst 2 change avatar

I fear for my hobby, preferred platform, rant of sorts a head, so skip if not interested.

Ill keep my opinions of the OS until i've actually tried it this time, unlike i did with 8.

Though i will say that i don't like the way that there is all this focus of bringing the "smart phone" environment to the desktop pc, why?:

First,
Desktop pc's are used for either the office environment (so get off the app store and get back to work) or for gaming/pc enthusiasts of who are clued up enough not to waste time with such gimmicks.

Second:
No average pc user goes out and buys a PC/HTPC for watching movies, these people either dont know of such a thing, own a console/dvd/blu-ray player or have a laptop that is used for facebook, work/school and they got introduced to VLC by a friend of a friend who's son works in IT.

Third:
The whole idea of full screen apps on a pc is offensive to me, I feel like this is the equivalent of having fullscreen only folders (eg My videos) of which you can only have one such folder open/on-screen at a time, so to copy and paste from one place to another, would be the same as whats required to do on an smart phone, no dragging an dropping, but having to manually navigate through each folder back and forth just to copy and paste.

I know that last part isnt mentioned in the article, its just something i fear is going to become a reality, an OS that looks prettier than being functional.

This species is really annoying, it caters for the mainstream of who dont actually understand the things they buy, but if looks pretty, they throw money at it, then they complain that it doesn't have the features they said they didnt want, and instead complain about getting what the wanted.

If you design your product for stupid people, you risk ending up with a stupid company and product.

Old
  (#3)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 01-12-2014, 06:31 | posts: 6,888 | Location: Dubai

^^ Tits or GTFO.

The strange UI they built was a major complaint about W8. Getting that out of the way will alone remove people's resistance towards it.

I disliked the implementation of the MS account in 8.1. It provides me with no value at all and this is despite having an active MS account. I tried the Skype app because I thought it could be better than the desktop app but no, I couldn't even sign in the app without using my outlook account on the entire PC. What if my parents wanted to use it? :-/ Shifting settings from CP to PC-S .. ughh. Instead of allowing both to co-exist for users of both the UI's let us force desktop guys to use PC S and tablet guys to frequent the desktop side on their touchscreens. Then there's that ugly sidebar which appears when you click the networking icon on the tray. I hope this non-sense is fixed as well as none of this can be fixed by simply installing Start8. Can go on and on about this failure of an OS ...

It looks like this new Windows team headed by Myerson seems to have some sense in them. I initially dreaded it .. he's the Phone guy after all. I look forward to this release!

Old
  (#4)
(.)(.)
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 580sli (water)
Processor: 2600k @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus M4E
Memory: Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Enermax Rev 1250w
Default 01-12-2014, 06:53 | posts: 5,136 | Location: Logd n jst 2 change avatar

^^
Reading that almost makes me think that MS are trying to slowly introduce a 'One User per PC' to the world. Leave just enough options in there for multi users, but hide them and make them difficult to understand, that way when MS release a report of features to be removed, they'll actually be able to say with a straight face that the option for mutli-users was barely used bar a few, as such they'll then remove the multi-user options altogether.

Cue - More sales, looks better to stock holders, when infact its actually just a forced inflation of units sold by forcing a one user only policy.

Old
  (#5)
Speed Weed
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 260+
Processor: Core i5 2500K @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Pro ( 3.1)
Memory: 8Gb Corsair @ 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Tuffpower 850
Default 01-12-2014, 07:57 | posts: 1,040 | Location: Somewhere in Scotland

Brilliant pic, Satin_Knight!
But I guess I'll be staying with Windows 7 for a while yet.
The only thing that interested me about Windows 8 was the fact that I could play JetPack Joyride on a PC.
Hardly enough of a reason to keep it on my rig for long.

Old
  (#6)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 290X & 7950
Processor: 3770K & 2500K
Mainboard: GB Z77X-D3H / GB Z77-D3H
Memory: 16GB & 16GB G.Skill
Soundcard: Meridian 2G / xf-i fata
PSU: 1000W & 500W silverstone
Default 01-12-2014, 08:20 | posts: 4,005 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by (.)(.) View Post
^^
Reading that almost makes me think that MS are trying to slowly introduce a 'One User per PC' to the world. Leave just enough options in there for multi users, but hide them and make them difficult to understand, that way when MS release a report of features to be removed, they'll actually be able to say with a straight face that the option for mutli-users was barely used bar a few, as such they'll then remove the multi-user options altogether.

Cue - More sales, looks better to stock holders, when infact its actually just a forced inflation of units sold by forcing a one user only policy.
My pc's have always been one user same for anyone in my family tho.

Old
  (#7)
CrisanT

Videocard: Gigabyte Radeon 7850OC
Processor: I7 2600k
Mainboard: AsRock Z68 Pro3
Memory: Corsair/8GB 1600
Soundcard: Creative X-fi Audio
PSU: Corsair 800GS
Default 01-12-2014, 09:35 | posts: 10 | Location: Timisoara

The biggest problem to Windows 8 is ... yes, Windows 7 ))

Last edited by CrisanT; 01-12-2014 at 09:36. Reason: typo

Old
  (#8)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 19 inch flat screen
Processor: 500 gigabyte cpu, FAST!?
Mainboard: The case is black
Memory: Ram? Male sheep?
Soundcard: Sound card? Like a CD?
PSU: duh, wall socket
Default 01-12-2014, 09:50 | posts: 5,632 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

Every other windows is generally really good. xp good, vista crap, 7 good, 8 crap, 9 good?

Old
  (#9)
huilun02
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7950 Boost OC
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77 G1 Sniper M3
Memory: Corsair Veng 1600MHz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard Creative Recon3Di
PSU: Seasonic X 650W Gold
Default 01-12-2014, 09:53 | posts: 194 | Location: Singapore

What made Windows 8.x suck was that they tried to make it the jack of all trades and that stupid metro desktop.

Do the same to Windows 9 and it will be another flop.

Old
  (#10)
NAMEk
Master Guru

Videocard: Gainward/GTX560/2GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
Mainboard: Asus P5Q
Memory: TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX
Soundcard: Realtec ALC1200
PSU: Corsair HX520
Default 01-12-2014, 10:56 | posts: 384 | Location: Lithuania

Quote:
Originally Posted by huilun02 View Post
What made Windows 8.x suck was that they tried to make it the jack of all trades and that stupid metro desktop.

Do the same to Windows 9 and it will be another flop.
True.

Old
  (#11)
ace adeycarter

Videocard: 660ti
Processor: i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: corsair
Default 01-12-2014, 11:20 | posts: 2

i'm sorry but I had to post cos am tired of all the nugatory stuff. I like reading fullscreen news in the metro ui. feels nice unlike getting ads and stuff in a windowed browser. its like a paper as you will. and if you try the Tesco app it's really nice looking at groceries and nectar card app is simple. speed test is nice ... I like windows 8 and 8.1

Old
  (#12)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 290X & 7950
Processor: 3770K & 2500K
Mainboard: GB Z77X-D3H / GB Z77-D3H
Memory: 16GB & 16GB G.Skill
Soundcard: Meridian 2G / xf-i fata
PSU: 1000W & 500W silverstone
Default 01-12-2014, 11:50 | posts: 4,005 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouji View Post
Every other windows is generally really good. xp good, vista crap, 7 good, 8 crap, 9 good?
vista was was all sorts of crap. While windows 8 isn't crap at all, some just dislike the ui. It's far from crap os

Old
  (#13)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 01-12-2014, 12:30 | posts: 3,455 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu5uzaku View Post
vista was was all sorts of crap. While windows 8 isn't crap at all, some just dislike the ui. It's far from crap os
I agree. Windows 8 isn't that bad at all.

Old
  (#14)
Alexraptor
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 660Ti, 2048MB
Processor: Core i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth z77
Memory: Vengeance, 2x4Gb 1866mhz
Soundcard: Creative X-FI Titanium
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Default 01-12-2014, 12:42 | posts: 1,252 | Location: Sweden

Metro and Live Tiles is absolutely glorious on my Windows Phone, and bearable on my laptop with a multi-touch pad.

But on my desktop computer? Yuck!
Its just so horribly clunky and inefficient for use with a mouse, not to mention that all the metro apps scale horribly on large desktop monitors.

Old
  (#15)
PinchedNerve
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Ed
Processor: Core i7 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Denon AVR-1913
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 01-12-2014, 13:22 | posts: 176 | Location: Florida

Windows 8/8.1 is a great OS but it never should have been let out into the wild with Metro only forcing everyone into a GUI designed solely for mobile devices. Biblically huge screw up that like Vista looks to be forcing MS into another OS release.

Old
  (#16)
ffletchs

Videocard: Nvidia GTX780Ti
Processor: Intel i7-3930k
Mainboard: MSi X79A-GD65 (8D)
Memory: 32GB
Soundcard: Motherboard
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 01-12-2014, 13:46 | posts: 10

One of the bigger mistakes MS has made is when they decided to abandon the PC as a gaming platform. Gamers are a large portion of a platform user base.

They stopped developing games and gaming hardware and all power went to xbox, just look how others have flourished, most notably steam and mobile. And now its hurting them. I can't wait for an alternative pc gaming platform, I will never go to console gaming, neither will most of my friends.

What they should have done is to embrace pc gaming, release xbox games on pc, year later, optimized for pc. There will always be pc enthusiasts.

Old
  (#17)
ClexRex
Member Guru

Videocard: 780 Classified / R9 290
Processor: Intel 4770k 4.9ghz 1.45v
Mainboard: MSI Mpower Max
Memory: Adata 8gb 2600
Soundcard: Creative Z
PSU: Corsair AX860 Plat.
Default 01-12-2014, 14:29 | posts: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffletchs View Post
One of the bigger mistakes MS has made is when they decided to abandon the PC as a gaming platform. Gamers are a large portion of a platform user base.

They stopped developing games and gaming hardware and all power went to xbox, just look how others have flourished, most notably steam and mobile. And now its hurting them. I can't wait for an alternative pc gaming platform, I will never go to console gaming, neither will most of my friends.

What they should have done is to embrace pc gaming, release xbox games on pc, year later, optimized for pc. There will always be pc enthusiasts.
Defiantly agree...I also think at some point they things will begain to change even though they just released the Xbone they are very underpowered its almost sad lol...same with the ps4 they simply are having trouble running standard 1080p when 1440p is becoming the norm...as 1080p is very old now...

Also pc hardware is becoming powerful and over the next 5-6 years will simply destroy consoles without even breakinmg a sweat making it better for devs to again start creating games that require powerful systems something the consoles will simply lack.

And if MS cleans up the desktop OS some were good to go oh and lets boost directx some lol

Old
  (#18)
huilun02
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7950 Boost OC
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77 G1 Sniper M3
Memory: Corsair Veng 1600MHz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard Creative Recon3Di
PSU: Seasonic X 650W Gold
Default 01-12-2014, 15:44 | posts: 194 | Location: Singapore

Consoles will probably remain as the largest gaming segment for as far as I can tell. PC will always be more powerful but we don't see everyone flocking to PC gaming do we? That's because of the convenience advantage of playing on a console.

And Microsoft knows of it, which is why they put all their gaming chips on the Xbox. Target largest customer segment for more profit. Anything they say about support of PC gaming is just hands down bull****.

I only play on the PC. I like immersive complex games like World of Warcraft and Arma, and ability to instantaneously flip between games, work, entertainment and content creation tasks. It drives me to take meticulous care and research in system building and management, that in itself is very satisfying.

If you're unwilling to commit time and effort why even play games? I hope Linux and Mantle proves successful, I'm tired of the slow down on PC gaming developments just to make consoles look viable.

Old
  (#19)
Terradorvite

Videocard: Galaxy Gtx670 2gb
Processor: FX8320 @ 4.6ghz 1.47v
Mainboard: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v1.0
Memory: GSKILL ARES DDR31866 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: xion1000
Default 01-12-2014, 16:10 | posts: 24

I agree, Windows 8/8.1 isnt horrible. Just lost some support for some of my older games I play, even compatibility mode didnt help. So until that Service Pack comes out for 8.1, Im with W7.

Old
  (#20)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Geforce GTX770 - G2773HS
Processor: Core i7 2600K 4.5Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3
Memory: Corsair DDR3 16GB 1600
Soundcard: Essence ST - Sennh. HD650
PSU: Antec Truepower 850W
Default 01-12-2014, 16:39 | posts: 5,464 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
I agree. Windows 8 isn't that bad at all.
Yup, under the hood it feels like a more optimized W7. But I do agree with some points about the interface. Mainly full screen apps on a PC... ugh.

Old
  (#21)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Default 01-12-2014, 16:51 | posts: 6,888 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terradorvite View Post
I agree, Windows 8/8.1 isnt horrible. Just lost some support for some of my older games I play, even compatibility mode didnt help. So until that Service Pack comes out for 8.1, Im with W7.
Just curious, which games? Hopefully Update 1 will solve your problem.

Old
  (#22)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Go!
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 01-12-2014, 16:52 | posts: 16,594 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by (.)(.) View Post
Ill keep my opinions of the OS until i've actually tried it this time, unlike i did with 8.
Wish more people would take this approach.

Windows8 wasn't bad unless you tried to use it in it's default state. Sure, full screen apps can at times be a major irritant, but sometimes an app is better run in full screen. There is a lot that could have been done better though.

Windows8.1, while a nice improvement over Windows8, has issues all it's own. There's several "features" in Windows8.1 that require an MS account. For me, these "features" become unusable as a result. I've been using Skydrive for a few years now and have a lot of files backed up to Skydrive. To access Skydrive on Windows8.1 you're required to use an MS account for Windows. This is a major security issue and a major inconvenience. I'm using Windows on desktop and laptop PCs and as such, there shouldn't be any requirement for "cloud integration" to use the provided "features". If I wanted "cloud integration" I would have bought a Chromebook. I've now had to move all my files from Skydrive to Google Drive as I need access to those files remotely and Google Drive doesn't require that I compromise the security of my PCs....

Basically, for all OS's going forward, cloud integration will be a make or break function for me. If it's forced for any "features" the OS won't be an option. I'm not going to pay for software that requires me to give the publisher direct access to my computer.

Old
  (#23)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 01-12-2014, 17:50 | posts: 3,503 | Location: USA

If it remains with this push toward make it feel like phone/tablet OS then it still a no go. And yes I tried win8 and that was reason why i didnt like

Old
  (#24)
AlexKidd5000
Member Guru

Videocard: Radeon HD 6870
Processor: Phenom II X4 960T
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Sigma Focus 600 Watts
Default 01-12-2014, 19:14 | posts: 101

I'm just tired of Microsoft altogether, and tired of Windows. They may make windows 9 less like 8, but what if they make it worse in other areas, like more cloud intergration, and all that crap being mandatory. Where ever the computer industry goes, microsoft will probably follow. I say everyone should give more support to Linux on desktops/laptops, that way we will always have unlimited choices.

Want a web centric cloud based OS? Or a traditional desktop OS? Or a super lightweight OS for your netbook, or x86 based tablet with a touchscreen? or an OS for your server? There are tons of linux distros for all needs, and purposes, all free.

Last edited by AlexKidd5000; 01-13-2014 at 01:12.

Old
  (#25)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Default 01-12-2014, 19:56 | posts: 6,888 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd5000 View Post
I'm just tired if Microsoft altogether, and tired of Windows. They may make windows 9 less like 8, but what if they make it worse in other areas, like more cloud intergration, and all that crap being mandatory. Where ever computer industry goes, microsoft will probably follow. I say everyone should give more support to Linux on desktop/laptops, that way we will always have unlimited choices.

Want a free web centric cloud based OS? Or a traditional desktop OS? or a super lightweight OS for your old netbook? or an OS for your server? There are tons of linux distros for all needs, and purposes, all free.
Still need Windows for my gaming Indies are doing a good job supporting OS X and Linux so I'm happy to buy from them when I can.