Corsair RM650 Watt Gold PSU reviewed and tested

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Todat we test the Corsair RM650 GOLD PSU. Yes, the silent and a bit mainstream RM650 is now Gold certified, that means it's 90% efficient at 50% load. Efficiency matters. The PSU itself is partly mod...

Corsair RM650 Watt Gold PSU reviewed and tested

2. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Nice review im thinking of picking up one of these PSU to replace my Tagan BZ-800 Hilbert any suggestions on what RM Series would suit my system I was thinking of the 850Watt (Specs in the side using a 800D Case)

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    650 is actually sufficient for you if you do not overclock. But have some reserves man, 750~850 is great especially if you are gonna upgrade your PC at one point in the future.

4. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Cheers I was right in thinking of the 850 then might treat my self the a 1k for future proofing with upgrades

5. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I can't understand why anyone would review a power supply... Maybe this was important back in 1995, but what difference does it make today? It's like reviewing the softness of my cat's hair, who cares :|

6. -=WolverinE=-

-=WolverinE=- Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX560Ti DirectCu II
    Apparently you haven't seen any PSU reviews on HardwareSecrets and TechPowerup... There's a LOT of stuff going on under the cover.

As for the review, I can't believe my eyes when I read this:
    "The actual OEM of the RM650 is Channel-Well Tech (CWT), they have been working with Corsair for a long time already and have proven themselves to be very trust-worthy in terms of reliability."

CWT is one of the worst OEMs out there (conclusion drawn from user feedback). At least it might not have the annoying electronic buzz the Seasonic OEMs have...

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    CWT is a top notch OEM. But they make too many units, ranging from cheap budget to high end. Many of the top brands (incl Corsair) have used them for ages.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It is not the worst. Though in this case this is not the best work form CWT. It has C(r)apXon and Teapo electrolytic caps there too. I would avoid this unit. On top of that it has build quality issues: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=363

For your rig high quality 550W (though price wise 6XXW units make more sense) would be more than enough even if you overclock, anything above 650W would be MASSIVE overkill and you probably would never get even close to the efficiency sweet spot.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014