Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Intel Security to replace McAfee brand
Old
  (#1)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: SLI GTX660
Processor: 2600K@4.5ghz
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 16gb G.Skill DDR3-2133
Soundcard: Creative SB Recon3D PCIe
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620watt
Default Intel Security to replace McAfee brand - 01-07-2014, 18:42 | posts: 16,959 | Location: US East Coast

I got an interesting e-mail this morning from McAfee, which you can see below....

Quote:
January 7, 2014

To our valued customers:

I'm excited to share the news that Intel and McAfee have come together to form Intel Security. Together, we are committed to giving you the confidence to use technology to its and your fullest potential.

Every day, more and more of our routine activities shift online connecting with family and friends, keeping up on world events, shopping, reading, learning, creating, conducting business, innovating all through computers, smartphones, tablets and other IP-enabled devices that get smarter, smaller, and more versatile all the time. Technology is the great enabler, and in many ways has democratized information and opportunity. What used to only be possible in the physical world is now not only possible but sometimes faster and easier in the digital realm, from anywhere, anytime, by anyone, through any enabled device.

When Intel purchased McAfee in 2010, it represented their vision that a world of pervasive technology requires equally pervasive security. With the Internet of Things becoming a reality, security must be embedded on every architecture and every device.

Phones and tablets now carry the same computing power and opportunity as desktop computers, and, therefore, the same vulnerabilities and exposure to digital crime. We have a history of providing free mobile security for both Android and iOS devices. We intend to make a new mobile security solution freely available later this year with the goal of providing digital security to everyone on every mobile device around the world.

As we move forward, we will be applying Intel's history of innovation, performance, and trust to develop new digital security solutions to enrich people's lives around the world. In the meantime, there will be no immediate change to any of the McAfee products, solutions, or services you enjoy.

I want to thank you for being a valued customer. We're looking forward to bringing you even more innovative and effective digital security solutions in the future. For more information see www.intelsecuritygroup.com.

All my best and Happy New Year,

Gary Davis
Vice President, Global Consumer Marketing
So, after reading the e-mail I decided to start searching and found this....

Quote:
Making the announcement at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada, Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said that McAfee products will now be rebranded to fall under its newly unveiled Intel Security group.

Intel will retain McAfee's iconic red shield symbol.

As part of the transition, some parts of McAfee's mobile offerings will be made available at no cost. No specific details have been released, except that they will be available for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.
Source:

http://www.zdnet.com/passing-the-red...nd-7000024869/

Last edited by sykozis; 01-07-2014 at 18:44.

Old
  (#2)
PhazeDelta1

Videocard: MSI 980 Gaming
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Mainboard: Asus Z97 Pro
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2
Default 01-07-2014, 18:47 | posts: 13,907 | Location: USA

I'm surprised it took this long. I figured the rebranding would of happened already.

Old
  (#3)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 01-07-2014, 18:51 | posts: 16,959 | Location: US East Coast

I'm happy to see it. The product is getting better but the McAfee brand is unrecoverable.

Old
  (#4)
Svarog
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 680 4GB
Processor: Intel Core 4770K
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
Memory: 8GB G.Skill ARES 2133 MHz
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760
Default 01-07-2014, 19:00 | posts: 3,840 | Location: The Netherlands

I only remember McAfee from back in the day.

I been using NOD32 for years now.

Old
  (#5)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: EVGA 850w Supernova G2
Default 01-07-2014, 21:28 | posts: 7,221 | Location: Dubai

Good for them. The McAfee name doesn't really inspire confidence.

Old
  (#6)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 680 Lightning
Processor: Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4GHz
Mainboard: GA-MA790X-UD4P
Memory: CorsairDominator 4GB DDR2
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+
Default 01-07-2014, 21:42 | posts: 990

Anyone ever actually see "McAfee"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

The top AVs in my opinion are ESET (Nod32 or Smart Security), Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. I use ESET's stuff for 24/7, it doesn't bombard me with messages and does a nice job of only bothering me when I'd want it to.

Old
  (#7)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX780 OC AmpFan
Processor: i7 4770K OC 4.7GHz @1.28v
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BLE 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Chieftec NTRO88+ 650W
Default 01-07-2014, 21:50 | posts: 8,525 | Location: Urban`Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeshush View Post
I use ESET's stuff for 24/7, it doesn't bombard me with messages and does a nice job of only bothering me when I'd want it to.
Yeah me too, been using since v4, atm at 7 and now I just can't use anything else

Old
  (#8)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 01-08-2014, 01:24 | posts: 16,959 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
Good for them. The McAfee name doesn't really inspire confidence.
The damage done under prior leadership was irreversible.... You can't go from being among the top to having multiple, consecutive years of being among the worst (in every regard) and keep your reputation in tact.... It's a bit different for BitDefender and TrendMicro.... They started out at the bottom and got progressively better. McAfee, at some point, just fell off a damn cliff in detection, removal, FP and stability..... They are getting better though. The last detection test results from av-comparatives were pretty positive. They just faltered on FP results (and unfortunately, stability according to user reviews). Seems being under the control of Intel is doing wonders for McAfee. If they can get the usability and FP issues under control without hampering effectiveness, they may be able to compete with BitDefender, Kaspersky and TrendMicro.

I have no hope for Norton at this point though. Their last detection test results were dismal (actually scoring WORSE than MSE/Defender for the first time)... Looks like a repeat of pre-2008 (which is when Norton finally became viable again after a decade of garbage)...

Personally, I use Kaspersky Antivirus on all but my work laptop. My work laptop runs the free version of Panda Cloud Antivirus. I have a license for Avast Internet Security 2014, but the resource usage is more than my poor laptop can deal with. (It's only a Haswell based Celeron ULV processor)

Last edited by sykozis; 01-08-2014 at 01:27.

Old
  (#9)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
PSU: EVGA 850w Supernova G2
Default 01-08-2014, 02:19 | posts: 7,221 | Location: Dubai

Lol .. Norton is another joke. It destroyed my install of XP back in the day when I tried upgrading from the 2000 version of their product. Intel is a good company, I think they can make something out of McAfee. Maybe even a nice freeware version for home use?

Old
  (#10)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 01-08-2014, 02:53 | posts: 16,959 | Location: US East Coast

Doubt they'll go free for home use....but they are going to be offering some of their mobile products free for some undisclosed period of time.... Supposedly their mobile products are better than their desktop products.

Norton had a pretty bad streak from the late 90's until the release of their 2008 products. Towards the end of 2012, they started going downhill again....

Last edited by sykozis; 01-08-2014 at 02:58.

Old
  (#11)
IcE
Don Snow

Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: Intel i7 4790K
Mainboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: Aune T1 + CAL
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Default 01-08-2014, 02:55 | posts: 9,434 | Location: Toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeshush View Post
Anyone ever actually see "McAfee"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

The top AVs in my opinion are ESET (Nod32 or Smart Security), Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. I use ESET's stuff for 24/7, it doesn't bombard me with messages and does a nice job of only bothering me when I'd want it to.
NOD32 in particular has fallen by the wayside in recent years, at least according to the main AV testing sites.

Old
  (#12)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 01-08-2014, 03:01 | posts: 16,959 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE View Post
NOD32 in particular has fallen by the wayside in recent years, at least according to the main AV testing sites.
So has Avira's AntiVir.... At one time, they were running neck and neck with BitDefender and Kaspersky. Now AntiVir is hardly worth using....

Old
  (#13)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Default 01-08-2014, 03:15 | posts: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE View Post
Not in my real world testing with fresh virus samples and adware I've uploaded to VirusTotal. ESET and Kaspersky are always the first ones to pick up stuff in the wild.

Old
  (#14)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 01-08-2014, 03:28 | posts: 16,959 | Location: US East Coast

In my "real world" testing, Malwarebyte's is more effective than any antivirus.... We can go around about this all day, but it doesn't change the fact that not every antivirus works well for everyone. Quite honestly, ESET's file detection rate is mediocre at best. Same goes for AntiVir and most other antivirus software. BitDefender, Kaspersky and TrendMicro seem to turn in consistantly high file detection numbers with reasonable FP rates. As of late Avast, Panda and McAfee have been hanging in there with high detection numbers but suffer from high FP rates. Of course, AV-comparatives gives you the FP list anyway so as long as you're not running anything on that list, you should be fine. AV-Comparatives doesn't take usability into account so you're still on your own as far as whether or not the antivirus is going to take out Windows if/when you change settings.....

Old
  (#15)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Default 01-08-2014, 11:47 | posts: 990

Most AVs learn of new threats from sources that simply share the wild samples to any AVs that'd want them. Sure, they also have their own methods and honey pots for gathering samples, but.

When cleaning out PCs though it's best to use a arsenal of scanners. And I just came across this which uses 68 AVs: http://www.herdprotect.com/downloads.aspx

It's in beta I guess.

Old
  (#16)
H83
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G
Processor: Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5Q DELUXE
Memory: G. Skill 4G DDR2 @1130MHz
Soundcard: Sound Blaster SB Audigy
PSU: Corsair TX 850W V2
Default 01-08-2014, 12:02 | posts: 1,320 | Location: Mars

Different name, same crap....

Ill continue with AVG, at least its free.

Old
  (#17)
Svarog
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 680 4GB
Processor: Intel Core 4770K
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
Memory: 8GB G.Skill ARES 2133 MHz
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760
Default 01-08-2014, 13:44 | posts: 3,840 | Location: The Netherlands

In the end of the day none of the AVs in the Top 10 are 100% AV Proof.

Everyone of them has a gap somewhere, no matter how good they claim to be thruout tests.

I'm using paid NOD32 for about 6 years now. (one of the things beside my OS i don't want to be cheap on)

Last edited by Svarog; 01-08-2014 at 13:46.

Old
  (#18)
Fender178
Maha Guru

Videocard: R9 290 Tri-x
Processor: i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: Asus Z97 Pro
Memory: Gskill Ares 16gb 2133mhz
PSU: Corsair AX 860W
Default 01-08-2014, 18:16 | posts: 1,780 | Location: Pennsylvania

I used to use Avast but after formatting my computer it would delete or block any .exe file from being downloaded to my computer so I switched to F-Secure.

When I was cleaning up viruses on other computers I would use the Ultimate Boot cd/dvd which is a handful of scanners that run within a Live Windows environment.

As far as McAfee antivirus goes nah I will pass.

Old
  (#19)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 01-08-2014, 18:41 | posts: 16,959 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svarog View Post
In the end of the day none of the AVs in the Top 10 are 100% AV Proof.

Everyone of them has a gap somewhere, no matter how good they claim to be thruout tests.

I'm using paid NOD32 for about 6 years now. (one of the things beside my OS i don't want to be cheap on)
No antivirus is idiot proof. Doesn't matter if they're rated #1 by independent labs, or dead last. They all have flaws in them. There's no possible way to test every possible scenario or every possible virus either. File detection tests are simply a method to determine which is most effective against the presented virus batch. Just because an antivirus scores 100% in a file detection test, doesn't mean it's actually the best on the market for file detection. It just means that it did the best at detecting that particular batch of viruses... This is why each lab recommends choosing the antivirus that best fits your needs out of those certified. The certification requirements are easy enough that failure to obtain certification shows a major fault in the product.

Old
  (#20)
Mda400
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 480 SLI 878/1756/2187
Processor: Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4 ghz
Mainboard: EVGA 790i SLI FTW PWM
Memory: 8 GB Vengeance 2000mhz
Soundcard: LG LHB326 Receiver (HDMI)
PSU: Ultra X4 1050w (76A 12v)
Default 01-08-2014, 19:11 | posts: 375 | Location: Minnesota

As an avid gamer, you do everything to make your connection as seamless to the other players as possible.

With that being said, who even uses antivirus or a firewall for home use these days? Chances are your ISP has a good enough nat for its entire network and unless you like clicking on those fake download buttons, you're probably knowledgeable enough of what is unsafe to download or use.

I'm just saying for reference I have been 3 years free of firewall and antivirus. Nothing has affected my PC. In the workplace its a given to have antivirus and a firewall, but even as IPv6 with IPsec grows it will see less of a need for an extra program of security. It will just be implied.