Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Consoles & console games
Consoles & console games This section is for all hardcore console gamers out there .. XBOX 360, PlayStation 3, Wii Threads with posts in January 2007 can be found in General Hardware


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Consoles dictate PC gaming now *rant*
Old
  (#1)
SerotoNiN
Maha Guru
 
SerotoNiN's Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX 760 2GB OC II
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 EVO
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Kingston
Soundcard:
PSU: CoolerMaster 700-Watt 52A
Default Consoles dictate PC gaming now *rant* - 12-10-2013, 20:39 | posts: 1,063 | Location: Chicago

Hear me out.

I put this in the consoles section because most of you HERE in this sub forum do both, game on a console and a PC, like myself.

If I put this in the PC section it wouldn't get an unbiased look without trolls running rampant without even hearing my point.

PC's used to be the place to go for some great exclusives, some PC exclusive games came to consoles much later (sometimes years) and were never as good. Doom, Diablo, Warcraft just to name a few. PC had it's base. Console ports were never well recevied on PC. PC gamers had their own titles. Developers couldn't resist the potential $$ to be made on PC (funny to write that with how things are these days) and would put ports out from time to time. I remember the first Turok from n64 being ported over and it was a buggy mess on ATI rage pro. Wasn't very fun either.

Anyways. Fast forward to today. One thing, even as the PC Gamer I am, one thing that continuously irks me is hearing other PC Gamers claim how powerful their PC's are, even nVidia came out 2 weeks ago talking about how powerful their cards are vs. ps4/xbox one. Great. Awesome. Kudos. But, what's the point in owning a racing car that you simply drive to work and back?

Consoles dictate PC's these days. PC exclusives are not what they were. Small titles here and there but the muscle has all but been eaten off the bone. PC's depend on console ports now. The box that frowned on them now needs them more than ever. Gimmick ports I call them. You get the port with a few extra textures and a higher resolution and that's supposed to justify your annual $600 video card (assuming you don't do sli). For what?

PC games will look no different until developers make headway with consoles power and start releasing engines on them. Take Ubisofts newly shown off engine for the Rainbow Six game ....nice looking engine, looks "next-gen", but until ubisoft releases it on ps4/xbox one, PC will sit and wait. PC has the power to be doing games like that now, absolutely, but the support to put a game on PC before a console or a PC exclusively just isn't there anymore. So again, what does all that power get you? In the waiting line to play it " a little better".

I'm just tired of gamers and companies mouthing off about how superior PC's are to even these new consoles when in reality, these consoles are what dev's focus on and then throw a bone to PC gamers with a port - a fully working one if they really want to impress.

Where is nvidia sending a statement out bragging out "well...Tomb Raider didn't work very well for 3 months there and TressX...whoops, we blew that one, and when it gets released on those inferior machines next year it will just be ps4/xbox one doing what the PC has already done, y'know, except it will work right out of the case and all...if you like that sort of non buggy gaming then go consoles I guess lolz"

I'm just fed up with "we have more power". Yes, you do and you can't do jack squat with it until consoles make games for you to play on your PC. Except those pesky exclusive games that PC lacks. Then they stay mum. "Uncharted and God of War sucks" really? And you've never played it, yet feel this way?

/rant
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
ALPINEST4RS
Member Guru
 
ALPINEST4RS's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gbyte 7970 GHZ 3GB
Processor: i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR 3
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 750w
Default 12-10-2013, 20:45 | posts: 139 | Location: Brighton, MI USA

mantle.

but seriously, times are changing and consoles are becoming far more advanced in gaming. Not only that but also other apps with it as well. (Netflix, ect.)

Console gaming is much more friendlier and family orientated. Hell, my gf won't touch a game on my pc, but she'll fire up GTA 5. haha.

To be honest, its all about the cream of the crop. (Money).

Last edited by ALPINEST4RS; 12-10-2013 at 20:51.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Kezen
Maha Guru
 
Kezen's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 780 Gaming OC
Processor: I7 4770K/Noctua NHU12S
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Soundcard: On board
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 12-10-2013, 20:49 | posts: 1,161 | Location: France

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerotoNiN View Post
Hear me out.

I put this in the consoles section because most of you HERE in this sub forum do both, game on a console and a PC, like myself.

If I put this in the PC section it wouldn't get an unbiased look without trolls running rampant without even hearing my point.

PC's used to be the place to go for some great exclusives, some PC exclusive games came to consoles much later (sometimes years) and were never as good. Doom, Diablo, Warcraft just to name a few. PC had it's base. Console ports were never well recevied on PC. PC gamers had their own titles. Developers couldn't resist the potential $$ to be made on PC (funny to write that with how things are these days) and would put ports out from time to time. I remember the first Turok from n64 being ported over and it was a buggy mess on ATI rage pro. Wasn't very fun either.

Anyways. Fast forward to today. One thing, even as the PC Gamer I am, one thing that continuously irks me is hearing other PC Gamers claim how powerful their PC's are, even nVidia came out 2 weeks ago talking about how powerful their cards are vs. ps4/xbox one. Great. Awesome. Kudos. But, what's the point in owning a racing car that you simply drive to work and back?

Consoles dictate PC's these days. PC exclusives are not what they were. Small titles here and there but the muscle has all but been eaten off the bone. PC's depend on console ports now. The box that frowned on them now needs them more than ever. Gimmick ports I call them. You get the port with a few extra textures and a higher resolution and that's supposed to justify your annual $600 video card (assuming you don't do sli). For what?

PC games will look no different until developers make headway with consoles power and start releasing engines on them. Take Ubisofts newly shown off engine for the Rainbow Six game ....nice looking engine, looks "next-gen", but until ubisoft releases it on ps4/xbox one, PC will sit and wait. PC has the power to be doing games like that now, absolutely, but the support to put a game on PC before a console or a PC exclusively just isn't there anymore. So again, what does all that power get you? In the waiting line to play it " a little better".

I'm just tired of gamers and companies mouthing off about how superior PC's are to even these new consoles when in reality, these consoles are what dev's focus on and then throw a bone to PC gamers with a port - a fully working one if they really want to impress.

Where is nvidia sending a statement out bragging out "well...Tomb Raider didn't work very well for 3 months there and TressX...whoops, we blew that one, and when it gets released on those inferior machines next year it will just be ps4/xbox one doing what the PC has already done, y'know, except it will work right out of the case and all...if you like that sort of non buggy gaming then go consoles I guess lolz"

I'm just fed up with "we have more power". Yes, you do and you can't do jack squat with it until consoles make games for you to play on your PC. Except those pesky exclusive games that PC lacks. Then they stay mum. "Uncharted and God of War sucks" really? And you've never played it, yet feel this way?

/rant
I take no joy in saying this but you are 100% right.

PC gaming isn't dead but it has seen better days for sure.
Consoles are where the money and development focus are, nothing will change that.
PC will shine though but it will remain second place in the eyes of AAA publishers.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru
 
Pill Monster's Avatar
 
Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 12-10-2013, 20:55 | posts: 24,263 | Location: NZ

Is this thread really necessary? We all know how it will end.

Badly.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
SerotoNiN
Maha Guru
 
SerotoNiN's Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX 760 2GB OC II
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 EVO
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Kingston
Soundcard:
PSU: CoolerMaster 700-Watt 52A
Default 12-10-2013, 21:08 | posts: 1,063 | Location: Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezen View Post
I take no joy in saying this but you are 100% right.

PC gaming isn't dead but it has seen better days for sure.
Consoles are where the money and development focus are, nothing will change that.
PC will shine though but it will remain second place in the eyes of AAA publishers.
I take no joy in it either. I've been a PC gamer since 1991. But I just had to voice my opinion on it. I appreciate your honesty.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
SerotoNiN
Maha Guru
 
SerotoNiN's Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX 760 2GB OC II
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 EVO
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Kingston
Soundcard:
PSU: CoolerMaster 700-Watt 52A
Default 12-10-2013, 21:09 | posts: 1,063 | Location: Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Monster View Post
Is this thread really necessary? We all know how it will end.

Badly.
Well that's why I didn't put it in the "pc gaming" section. Hopefully to keep the torch at bay.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
XP-200
Maha Guru
 
XP-200's Avatar
 
Videocard: Zotac GTX 760 2GIG OC
Processor: Intel i7-4770 @ 3.40ghz
Mainboard: Asus Z87-K
Memory: Corsair XMS3 12GB 1333
Soundcard: VIA HD Onboard
PSU: OCZ 600w+80
Default 12-11-2013, 09:52 | posts: 2,718 | Location: UK

Oh i don't know, there could be a almigty swing real soon back to pc gaming if these new consoles continue to add paywall after paywall to their games, i just saw the bs they have just pulled with NK2 by patching in paywall features after the game has been in the open and in peoples homes, which leads me to believe this is going to become the norm on these next gen consoles, and that's something i personally have no intrest in supporting, and i personally see it as a pre-cursor to games being developed so that paywall features become almost impossible to ignore in games.

Us gaming peasents could soon be revolting all the way back to the pc if things continue.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru
 
PhazeDelta1's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 780Ti Classified SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2
Default 12-11-2013, 10:13 | posts: 13,603 | Location: USA

Now? Consoles have always dictated PC gaming. Where have you been at for the last 8 years?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
])rStrangelove
Ancient Guru
 
])rStrangelove's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
Processor: Intel i7-2600k@4.3
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3
Memory: Corsair 16GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: AsusXonar D2X
PSU: BeQuiet! DarkPowerPro750W
Default 12-11-2013, 10:20 | posts: 3,778 | Location: Northcoast of Germany

Consoles are the focus of the game industry because console gamers dont have any control. Features are easily taken away (bit by bit every year) whereas PC users will just hack their way around everything.

The game industry is simply trying to make more money. It's greed.

If they can force a bad game down the throat of the gamers they will do so. Gamers out of options will gladly pay for eveything and so fund their own doom.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
thatguy91
Ancient Guru
 
Videocard: HIS R9-280x Iceq X2 Turbo
Processor: i5-3570K
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme6
Memory: DDR3-2400 2x8GB
Soundcard: ALC898 + Microlab FC-730
PSU: Enermax Platimax 750W
Default 12-11-2013, 10:24 | posts: 4,070 | Location: Australia

The 'next gen' (well, really current gen now) consoles aren't likely to last as long as the last consoles, they will have to be updated more frequently. This is not an attractive option for Microsoft or Sony, so either gaming will start to decline all together... or PC gaming will start to pick up again. Mantle is probably the best thing to come to PC gaming for a long time, it's not just about the performance increase, but it is supposedly easier to program for different hardware configurations. Of course, this is more so in the future as development progresses on it. The Nvidia OpenGL enhancements on the other hand really only benefit Nvidia (Nvidia can use Mantle if they really wanted, which they don't!), and those enhancements don't address the compatibility and ease of making stuff for different system configurations as Mantle does.

Who knows, hopefully in a few years we will see Mantle only games on PC (no DirectX, OpenGL), because DirectX and OpenGL is what is really a detriment to PC gaming. It's currently too difficult to make it compatible with all different configurations, and get it right.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
StealBalls
Banned
 
Videocard: MSI 280x CrossFire
Processor: Intel 4670K@ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Pro
Memory: 8GB Corsair 1866Mhz CL9
Soundcard: AMD HD Audio
PSU: Corsair RM Series 850W
Default 12-11-2013, 10:55 | posts: 649 | Location: W.A.K.T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy91 View Post

Who knows, hopefully in a few years we will see Mantle only games on PC
Seriously though, HOPEFULLY IN A FEW YEARS!?!? can it go any slower!? lol

It's utterly pathetic! in a few years we should be using fkn holodecks... instead we are (likely) stuck with 'NEXT GEN' consoles with fkn mechanical hard disk drives clunking away taking 2 minutes to load a fkn low res map and dribbling over trying to hold 30FPS at 720p

This is the ****test current generation I could have possibly imagined for 2014.

I hate that I enjoy gaming because it really is a joke on all levels and all platforms.


Frostbite is the only HALF decent thing to happen in the last few years... still very average for 2014 but seems pretty impressive what with how utterly scheisse everything else is.

The trouble is that time is money, so quite simply, the more powerful PC's are, it simply means developers need to make less effort, not that they make the same epic efforts as they do on consoles and simply get far far greater results on a PC, I have given up on PC's and tbh I am only hanging onto this one because I have some games I enjoy on it, like SKYRIM, Borderlands 1/2, RAGE, bunch of others as well that I cannot play on my Xbox One, and on the MINIMAL CHANCE mantle delivers anything at all I have a couple of half decent AMD cards at the ready.

Last edited by StealBalls; 12-11-2013 at 11:05.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
AndreasGuido
Ancient Guru
 
AndreasGuido's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 970
Processor: Core i5 2500K 3.8GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Soc
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX
Soundcard: Integrated 5.1
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W
Default 12-11-2013, 11:11 | posts: 3,518 | Location: Bristol, UK

Ah dont worry about it. PC is like an expensive car, you love it, you spend loads on it and it drives nice and fast, when console is just an average car, it does the same as super car(gets you from A to B) but no eye candy etc! if that makes sense haha
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
Ade 1
Master Guru
 
Ade 1's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 690
Processor: Intel i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X58A-OC
Memory: 12gb OCZ DDR3
Soundcard: X-Fi Soundblaster Z
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 12-11-2013, 12:20 | posts: 601 | Location: Safe House

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasGuido View Post
Ah dont worry about it. PC is like an expensive car, you love it, you spend loads on it and it drives nice and fast, when console is just an average car, it does the same as super car(gets you from A to B) but no eye candy etc! if that makes sense haha
It does make sense but disagree. The sheer quality of some games on consoles has made me not even play a game on my PC in over a year!! And I don't miss all the graphic drivers issue for one minute! I'll take gameplay over graphics any day of the week but you get that AND the eye candy on the PS4 and Xbox One. Then there's the whole social aspect - I met so many people online playing the Last of US MP - something that never happened when playing online on PC.

Just because you spend so much money on a PC doesn't mean the games are going to be any better. It seems that some people just need to justify the fact that they've spent so much money on their PC that they'll bash consoles to make themselves feel better.

By the way, totally agree with the OP.

Last edited by Ade 1; 12-11-2013 at 12:22.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
harkinsteven
Maha Guru
 
harkinsteven's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 SLI
Processor: i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Memory: 32gb Kingston Beast 2400
Soundcard: SoundBlasterZxR/EdifierC6
PSU: XFX PRO 750W
Default 12-11-2013, 12:23 | posts: 2,289 | Location: Ireland

Kickstarter.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
SerotoNiN
Maha Guru
 
SerotoNiN's Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX 760 2GB OC II
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 EVO
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Kingston
Soundcard:
PSU: CoolerMaster 700-Watt 52A
Default 12-11-2013, 20:36 | posts: 1,063 | Location: Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy91 View Post
The 'next gen' (well, really current gen now) consoles aren't likely to last as long as the last consoles, they will have to be updated more frequently. This is not an attractive option for Microsoft or Sony, so either gaming will start to decline all together... or PC gaming will start to pick up again. Mantle is probably the best thing to come to PC gaming for a long time, it's not just about the performance increase, but it is supposedly easier to program for different hardware configurations. Of course, this is more so in the future as development progresses on it. The Nvidia OpenGL enhancements on the other hand really only benefit Nvidia (Nvidia can use Mantle if they really wanted, which they don't!), and those enhancements don't address the compatibility and ease of making stuff for different system configurations as Mantle does.

Who knows, hopefully in a few years we will see Mantle only games on PC (no DirectX, OpenGL), because DirectX and OpenGL is what is really a detriment to PC gaming. It's currently too difficult to make it compatible with all different configurations, and get it right.
Call me cynical or just consider me exposed to empty promises before (Microsoft comes to mind when they claim they're resupporting pc gaming and as fast as they announce that they fade away again) but I have ZERO faith in Mantle.

Several reasons.

1.) Consoles do not support it, so it may make a port easier to bring to PC, but not nearly as easy as it would have been had xbone/ps4 supported mantel as AMD led us to believe when it was first announced.

2.) Nvidia does not support it. So your game is going to ignore 60% of the high-end enthusiast market for the sake of developing more efficiently? Never happen. Developers LOVE the ridiculous power of a PC because it means they can be lazier than ever bringing a port over as it is.

3.) Mantle being AMD/PC only means the game has to be made for PC. Maybe not 100% PC exclusive, but it needs it's own special path. I don't care how much time it saves, how much faster it is, you're asking developers to spend money on an extra path that will not be used on xbox one, ps4 or nvidia cards. This is the one that makes me pretty certain mantle will never take off.

It's a quaint little idea. EA will give it some support since frostbite is being made for it, but I don't expect the floodgates to break open with support.

If anything is going to help PC gaming, it will be gimmicks like oculus rift, experiences that can't be had on a console. As far as games are concerned, PC is pretty much stuck waiting for consoles, but how you play those games, PC can really evolve in that area.

Last edited by SerotoNiN; 12-11-2013 at 20:38.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
painter
Maha Guru
 
painter's Avatar
 
Videocard: KFA2 670
Processor: Intel 2500K 4.3ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68a
Memory: 8gb G-Skill Ripjaws
Soundcard: X-FI Xtreme Gamer
PSU: OCZ 700w
Default 12-11-2013, 22:01 | posts: 1,043 | Location: Devon

PC gaming has become more and more frustrating over the years, as exclusives have become less, and some franchises dumped the platform altogether, or give lip-service, with poor portovers. The PS4 and Xbone (to a lesser degree) seem like more nails in the coffin... we now have (a) console(s) that offer the final, and most obvious deficiency with the previous gen... resolution. The consoles had effects and eye candy aplenty, but the awful low res seared the eyeballs, but now that advantage has diminished to a large degree... It might be somewhat subjective, but Killzone on my PS4 beats BF4 on my PC, and I know which platform I find most comfortable playing... so bye-bye PC gaming for the foreseeable future. My machine has seen its last upgrade, and will remain a flight sim box for a few years.

There is simply too many good games, which will look equal to most PC stuff to ignore now... sorry, but a PC gamer of fifteen years plus, has gone to the dark side, and I won't be looking back... well, maybe the odd glance over my shoulder.

Last edited by painter; 12-11-2013 at 22:59.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
umeng2002
Master Guru
 
umeng2002's Avatar
 
Videocard: eVGA GTX 580 BO @ 920
Processor: 1090t @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Memory: DDR3 8GB @ 1600 8-9-8-28
Soundcard: X-Fi: DAC_I: MKV: HD600
PSU: On my 2nd Corsair TX750W
Default 12-13-2013, 04:14 | posts: 481 | Location: Milky Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerotoNiN View Post
Hear me out.
/rant
Blame the PS360 and 2008.

Those were dx9 class chips in there. 2008 caused the industry to stay the course another few years on those platforms to reap sweet sweet sequel $ without needed to invest in new engines.

You can't really do hardware physics on the PS360 (nvidia been doing it for years now). You can't do DX10/ 11 on the previous generation, etc. you get the idea.

Because of the huge $ needed to make big games, they need to go multiplat... you can't build a game around using hardware physics or some DX11 graphics effects and them leave them out of 2/3rd of the game's targeted install base.

Now that the PS4 and X1 are dx11-class... we'll start seeing (at least feature-wise) much better support for the features PCs have had since 2007 or so.

Another thing, I would blame a lot of this on those large 3rd party publishers... who's corporate structure leaves a lot to be desired (just people working for a paycheck). They hire so many artists and what-not to get a sequel out every year... A smaller dev might get more passionate people and there work will show.

Oh and the only people who think corporations are efficient are people who never worked for a large one.

Look at the smaller indie games, the art is crazy good. Imagine that passion with a $50 million budget.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
(.)(.)
Ancient Guru
 
(.)(.)'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 580sli (water)
Processor: 2600k @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus M4E
Memory: Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Enermax Rev 1250w
Default 12-13-2013, 06:40 | posts: 5,189 | Location: Logd n jst 2 change avatar

First day/time i sat down with my Xbox360, i felt like something magical to with gaming had been sold the the devil for profits.

Havent been able to get back that 'magical' feeling of the pre ps360 days. I just keep on getting 'meh' experiences and 'oh wow grafix!' moments tbh.

PS360 - Nice one there umeng2002
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
jonerkinsella
Maha Guru
 
jonerkinsella's Avatar
 
Videocard: Saph 290 Trix OC
Processor: i7 3770
Mainboard: Asrock z77pro-4m
Memory: 8gb ,G-Skill Ripjaw 1600
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX 850w
Default 12-13-2013, 10:00 | posts: 1,802 | Location: IRELAND

I'm loving my PS4 on my 50" Plasma running through my Onkyo amp . I start it up and play a game ...its that easy.

I used to PC game a lot ,but I'm older now and just sick of the hassle of setup,drivers,sorting out running ,etc.

Now...if only Dice will allow a keyboard,mouse on the PS4 ,that would be cracking.

...And, hurry up with a driving game.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
kevnb
Master Guru
 
Videocard: SAPPHIRE FleX 7950 3GB
Processor: FX-6300 @ 4.3 ghz
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0
Memory: 8 gigs
Soundcard:
PSU: XIGMATEK 650w
Default 12-16-2013, 15:24 | posts: 260 | Location: Canada

you are full of poop, most multiplatform games look far better than they do on console. New consoles just came out that are pretty close to mainstream pcs though, for awhile you wont see much difference.
The pc still has some awesome exclusives and some games like skyrim that are a completely different experience. Who the hell pays $600 a year for a new graphics card btw? Guild wars 2, starcraft 2, star citizen and path of exile are great games/look like great games that will last alot longer than any disposable console exclusive game. Games like uncharted and the last of us are great, but you play through them once and you are done with them.
I just got a 7950 and don't regret it at all, there is hardly anything worth playing on the ps4/xbox one and no backwards compatibility. With my PC I can play most of the last generation games at current console fidelity.

Last edited by kevnb; 12-16-2013 at 15:30.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
AndreasGuido
Ancient Guru
 
AndreasGuido's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 970
Processor: Core i5 2500K 3.8GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Soc
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX
Soundcard: Integrated 5.1
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W
Default 12-16-2013, 15:31 | posts: 3,518 | Location: Bristol, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade 1 View Post
It does make sense but disagree. The sheer quality of some games on consoles has made me not even play a game on my PC in over a year!! And I don't miss all the graphic drivers issue for one minute! I'll take gameplay over graphics any day of the week but you get that AND the eye candy on the PS4 and Xbox One. Then there's the whole social aspect - I met so many people online playing the Last of US MP - something that never happened when playing online on PC.

Just because you spend so much money on a PC doesn't mean the games are going to be any better. It seems that some people just need to justify the fact that they've spent so much money on their PC that they'll bash consoles to make themselves feel better.

By the way, totally agree with the OP.
Cant really disagree with you there. It is nice to sit down and game, but sometimes i love playing around with setting, hardware,drivers etc. Nothing wrong with both! However i tend to see PC crowd better than console, all i get on console is annoying little kids, not everyone but most of the time. But thts just my experience.
Either way its good to have both, you have friends around - fire up console and chill. You want to mod game, try different stuff - no problem you can do it all on PC
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
kevnb
Master Guru
 
Videocard: SAPPHIRE FleX 7950 3GB
Processor: FX-6300 @ 4.3 ghz
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0
Memory: 8 gigs
Soundcard:
PSU: XIGMATEK 650w
Default 12-16-2013, 15:32 | posts: 260 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonerkinsella View Post
I'm loving my PS4 on my 50" Plasma running through my Onkyo amp . I start it up and play a game ...its that easy.

I used to PC game a lot ,but I'm older now and just sick of the hassle of setup,drivers,sorting out running ,etc.

Now...if only Dice will allow a keyboard,mouse on the PS4 ,that would be cracking.

...And, hurry up with a driving game.
I start up my PC and play a game as well, its not really that hard. I might spend a few minutes configuring things to my liking, something I really miss when I play consoles.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
kevnb
Master Guru
 
Videocard: SAPPHIRE FleX 7950 3GB
Processor: FX-6300 @ 4.3 ghz
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0
Memory: 8 gigs
Soundcard:
PSU: XIGMATEK 650w
Default 12-16-2013, 15:36 | posts: 260 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasGuido View Post
Cant really disagree with you there. It is nice to sit down and game, but sometimes i love playing around with setting, hardware,drivers etc. Nothing wrong with both! However i tend to see PC crowd better than console, all i get on console is annoying little kids, not everyone but most of the time. But thts just my experience.
Either way its good to have both, you have friends around - fire up console and chill. You want to mod game, try different stuff - no problem you can do it all on PC
Ill admit im tempted to get a ps4 for future games, but ill wait. Its not really worth it to play the same games I have on PC at similar quality. I like pc gaming and dont really care if anyone likes gaming on console, but OP seems like he wants someone to change his mind... Im not sure exactly lol. I can tell you that im most excited for star citizen, and I find black flag plays better on my pc than it does on ps4. I need a decent pc anyway, so the $180 i spent on my video card seems like a better deal than 400 for a ps4.

Last edited by kevnb; 12-16-2013 at 15:45.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
Kezen
Maha Guru
 
Kezen's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 780 Gaming OC
Processor: I7 4770K/Noctua NHU12S
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Soundcard: On board
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 12-16-2013, 16:13 | posts: 1,161 | Location: France

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevnb View Post
Ill admit im tempted to get a ps4 for future games, but ill wait. Its not really worth it to play the same games I have on PC at similar quality. I like pc gaming and dont really care if anyone likes gaming on console, but OP seems like he wants someone to change his mind... Im not sure exactly lol. I can tell you that im most excited for star citizen, and I find black flag plays better on my pc than it does on ps4. I need a decent pc anyway, so the $180 i spent on my video card seems like a better deal than 400 for a ps4.
No one is arguing that PC doesnt have its advantages but its drawbacks are seldom casted light on (sorry for the grammatical construction I'm not a native English speaker).
The truth is for a huge majority of gamers a PS4 is a much better investment than a gaming PC at this time. PC is shrouded in uncertainty with regards to performance and level of support, a PS4 is sure to have games tailored for it and plenty of high quality exclusives and the best version of multiplatform games (compared to the Xbox One).
When people say the gap in experience has been drastically reduced between consoles and PC I agree. It's very hard to recommend PC gaming to someone because there are very few AAA games to entice people to make the switch.

I still consider the PC as the best platform to play games on.....When they release on it that is.
I love having the choice regarding performance/IQ trade offs but it seems many people don't value that at all.
The bottom line is that anno 2013 PC gaming has very little to offer that isn't available in some form on PS4, consoles will remain the larger market for games. Does that mean the PC is on its path to irrelevance ? No, that's pushing it because we are talking about a profitable platform supported by the majority of AAA publishers, it's "niche" compared to the consoles install base of course.

The bottom line is that the OP is correct. Gaming has become so expensive and art assets have to be made profitable, as such very few games can afford to release on a single platform (AAA exclusives benefit from much higher visibility and are backed up by their respective platform holders), they can't afford to make 50-60 millions PC exclusive but they can on PS3/360 or Xbox One/PS4. Most of the technological advancements will be achieved thanks to consoles now. Whether or not high-end GPUs are capable of more will not matter, the baseline for multiplatform games will be the PS4/Xbox One.
I'm not implying that PC versions won't look better on the right hardware but the crux of my argument is that consoles are where it's at basically.
Token visual effects won't cut it I'm afraid, only 4K gaming will be a deciding factor for jumping in PC gaming and that's going to take a while.

Again, make no mistake I'm not saying that PC is doomed or anything but that consoles will remain as the major market for AAA games, the one that sell GPUs. The PC's "decline" is due to rising costs of development more than anything else.
If high-end gaming was a cheap as it once was then you would have plenty of eyes melting PC exclusives that could turn into a profit with ease.
Alas videogames kept on being more expensive to make and as anyone knows consoles have an larger install base.
Yeah, I'm aware I'm not breaking new grounds here but I figured I had to point that out.

Last edited by Kezen; 12-16-2013 at 16:20.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
kevnb
Master Guru
 
Videocard: SAPPHIRE FleX 7950 3GB
Processor: FX-6300 @ 4.3 ghz
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0
Memory: 8 gigs
Soundcard:
PSU: XIGMATEK 650w
Default 12-16-2013, 16:25 | posts: 260 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezen View Post
No one is arguing that PC doesnt have its advantages but its drawbacks are seldom casted light on (sorry for the grammatical construction I'm not a native English speaker).
The truth is for a huge majority of gamers a PS4 is a much better investment than a gaming PC at this time. PC is shrouded in uncertainty with regards to performance and level of support, a PS4 is sure to have games tailored for it and plenty of high quality exclusives and the best version of multiplatform games (compared to the Xbox One).
When people say the gap in experience has been drastically reduced between consoles and PC I agree. It's very hard to recommend PC gaming to someone because there are very few AAA games to entice people to make the switch.

I still consider the PC as the best platform to play games on.....When they release on it that is.
I love having the choice regarding performance/IQ trade offs but it seems many people don't value that at all.
The bottom line is that anno 2013 PC gaming has very little to offer that isn't available in some form on PS4, consoles will remain the larger market for games. Does that mean the PC is on its path to irrelevance ? No, that's pushing it because we are talking about a profitable platform supported by the majority of AAA publishers, it's "niche" compared to the consoles install base of course.

The bottom line is that the OP is correct. Gaming has become so expensive and art assets have to be made profitable, as such very few games can afford to release on a single platform (AAA exclusives benefit from much higher visibility and are backed up by their respective platform holders), they can't afford to make 50-60 millions PC exclusive but they can on PS3/360 or Xbox One/PS4. Most of the technological advancements will be achieved thanks to consoles now. Whether or not high-end GPUs are capable of more will not matter, the baseline for multiplatform games will be the PS4/Xbox One.
I'm not implying that PC versions won't look better on the right hardware but the crux of my argument is that consoles are where it's at basically.
Token visual effects won't cut it I'm afraid, only 4K gaming will be a deciding factor for jumping in PC gaming and that's going to take a while.

Again, make no mistake I'm not saying that PC is doomed or anything but that consoles will remain as the major market for AAA games, the one that sell GPUs. The PC's "decline" is due to rising costs of development more than anything else.
If high-end gaming was a cheap as it once was then you would have plenty of eyes melting PC exclusives that could turn into a profit with ease.
Alas videogames kept on being more expensive to make and as anyone knows consoles have an larger install base.
Yeah, I'm aware I'm not breaking new grounds here but I figured I had to point that out.
If you absolutely have to upgrade right now the ps4 is attractive, although it doesnt have much worthwile to play on it. By the time there are a good amount of worthwhile games on the ps4 PC gaming will be that much more advanced for a reasonable price. Who doesnt want to be able to game at 4k when its available? 4k will be a reality in just a few years, you already see 4k displays in some stores.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.