Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
1 Million PlayStation 4 Units Sold in First 24 Hours
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default 1 Million PlayStation 4 Units Sold in First 24 Hours - 11-18-2013, 07:56 | posts: 21,548 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Sony said it sold more than one million units of the new PlayStation 4 videogame console to consumers in its first day on sale, indicating strong initial demand for the device. Andrew House, head of t...

1 Million PlayStation 4 Units Sold in First 24 Hours
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru
 
Loobyluggs's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 670 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 11-18-2013, 08:58 | posts: 1,307 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn View Post
Sony said it sold more than one million units of the new PlayStation 4 videogame console to consumers in its first day on sale, indicating strong initial demand for the device. Andrew House, head of t...

1 Million PlayStation 4 Units Sold in First 24 Hours
Isn't that pre sold figures?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
NAMEk
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Gainward/GTX560/2GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
Mainboard: Asus P5Q
Memory: TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX
Soundcard: Realtec ALC1200
PSU: Corsair HX520
Default 11-18-2013, 10:54 | posts: 399 | Location: Lithuania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobyluggs View Post
Isn't that pre sold figures?
Might be, they often lie.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
qqryq
Newbie
 
qqryq's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte GeForceGTX670 OC
Processor: Intel Core i7-950
Mainboard: Alienware 04VWF2
Memory: 2x 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
Soundcard: SBRecon3DFatal1tyChS
PSU: Alienware 875 Watt
Default 11-18-2013, 11:00 | posts: 21 | Location: Ireland

Did they anounced their great launch failure too: PS4 'Blue Light of Death' ?

Last edited by qqryq; 11-18-2013 at 11:17.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
miffywiffy
Master Guru
 
Videocard: 750ti
Processor: 4770k
Mainboard: Z87-DELUXE
Memory: 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Asus D2X
PSU: Corsair 950watt
Default 11-18-2013, 11:04 | posts: 542

No games sold because they all suck.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
vazup
Member Guru
 
Videocard: r9 280X
Processor: i5 4590S
Mainboard: ASRock H81M-ITX
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair CX600
Default 11-18-2013, 11:59 | posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffywiffy View Post
No games sold because they all suck.
Dunno Killzone looks pretty fun.
   
Reply With Quote
1 Million!!
Old
  (#7)
poornaprakash
Newbie
 
poornaprakash's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870XT
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 3.6Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P7H55
Memory: G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DG
PSU: Corsair VX 450W
Default 1 Million!! - 11-18-2013, 12:05 | posts: 24

Tadaa......1 million AMD APU chip sold aswell
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
makaveli316
Member Guru
 
Videocard: Asus Strix GTX 970
Processor: i5 3570K @ 4.2
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb LP
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Pro
PSU: Corsair 650HX
Default 11-18-2013, 12:24 | posts: 146 | Location: Germany

On the german Amazon at one point wasn't even possible to pre order it. People who pre ordered it after August will receive it for Christmas or til the end of Januar.
I don't think they are exagerating.
I'm waiting for mine, only 11 days more.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
Undying
Ancient Guru
 
Undying's Avatar
 
Videocard: R9 280X
Processor: i5 @ 4.8Ghz
Mainboard: -
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 11-18-2013, 12:32 | posts: 4,343 | Location: Serbia, NS

It has long way to reach PS2 record of 80 mil.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
warlord
Master Guru
 
warlord's Avatar
 
Videocard: amd 7850 cf
Processor: i7 3770k @4.8 HT
Mainboard: Msi Mpower Z77
Memory: 32gb ddr3 geil evo
Soundcard: creative
PSU: ax1200i corsair
Default 11-18-2013, 13:50 | posts: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undying View Post
It has long way to reach PS2 record of 80 mil.
And it will never happen.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
Deathchild
Maha Guru
 
Deathchild's Avatar
 
Videocard: HD7950CFX+Qnix2710
Processor: 3770K@4.8GHz delid
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X D3H 1.1
Memory: C Vengeance 8GB 1866
Soundcard: VIA VT2021
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760W
Default 11-18-2013, 14:43 | posts: 2,110 | Location: Estonia

Why not lol.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru
 
Ryu5uzaku's Avatar
 
Videocard: 290X & 7950
Processor: 3770K & 2500K
Mainboard: GB Z77X-D3H / GB Z77-D3H
Memory: 16GB & 16GB G.Skill
Soundcard: Meridian 2G / xf-i fata
PSU: 1000W & 500W silverstone
Default 11-18-2013, 15:02 | posts: 4,151 | Location: Finland

360 and ps3 reached that 70+ mil sometime ago. And ps2 is way over 100 mil. And wii is at 100mil.

But pretty good sales for ps4
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: HIS R9 290
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 11-18-2013, 15:19 | posts: 447 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathchild View Post
Why not lol.
Because PS2 was around when the gaming industry was at it's peak quality. Backward compatibility, relatively cheap, media playback (it was a big deal when it was new), and games were pretty well polished. One of my gripes with today's consoles is the developers don't really try that hard. They could release a game with known issues, and with DLC that should have been included in the game in the first place. It makes the devs look even worse when the game could be largely based off another engine and still needs continuous patching. Games these days are just focused on being interactive movies, which to me just isn't much fun.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
pmc40
Newbie
 
Videocard: ATI 6850
Processor: I7 920@3.4
Mainboard: gigabyte ud3-r
Memory: 6gb ddr3 1066mhz
Soundcard: xfi titanium pro, aego m
PSU: Corsair tx650w
Default 11-18-2013, 15:36 | posts: 6 | Location: Fife , Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
Because PS2 was around when the gaming industry was at it's peak quality. Backward compatibility, relatively cheap, media playback (it was a big deal when it was new), and games were pretty well polished. One of my gripes with today's consoles is the developers don't really try that hard. They could release a game with known issues, and with DLC that should have been included in the game in the first place. It makes the devs look even worse when the game could be largely based off another engine and still needs continuous patching. Games these days are just focused on being interactive movies, which to me just isn't much fun.

with you all the way on that one
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
Mda400
Master Guru
 
Mda400's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 480 SLI 878/1756/2187
Processor: Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4 ghz
Mainboard: EVGA 790i SLI FTW PWM
Memory: 8 GB Vengeance 2000mhz
Soundcard: LG LHB326 Receiver (HDMI)
PSU: Ultra X4 1050w (76A 12v)
Default 11-18-2013, 15:54 | posts: 375 | Location: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
One of my gripes with today's consoles is the developers don't really try that hard.


Hey, you took my gripe. GET YER OWN!... - -

They don't care. They like money. Bastards...

Games are a damn art form. If you are going to make a game and a bad one just for the cash grab, then you deserve to be pirated from...

Last edited by Mda400; 11-18-2013 at 16:01.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
Xendance
Ancient Guru
 
Videocard: Nvidia Geforce 570
Processor: Intel i7 2600k
Mainboard: Asus P8P67
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Soundcard: X-FI Platinum+7.1 system
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower
Default 11-18-2013, 17:11 | posts: 5,469 | Location: Funland aka Happycamp aka Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
Because PS2 was around when the gaming industry was at it's peak quality. Backward compatibility, relatively cheap, media playback (it was a big deal when it was new), and games were pretty well polished. One of my gripes with today's consoles is the developers don't really try that hard. They could release a game with known issues, and with DLC that should have been included in the game in the first place. It makes the devs look even worse when the game could be largely based off another engine and still needs continuous patching. Games these days are just focused on being interactive movies, which to me just isn't much fun.
Game industry was at its peak? What? No, that is completely false. The industry has just kept getting bigger and bigger since the PS 2 days.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: HIS R9 290
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 11-18-2013, 17:20 | posts: 447 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xendance View Post
Game industry was at its peak? What? No, that is completely false. The industry has just kept getting bigger and bigger since the PS 2 days.
Peak QUALITY. Big difference. When you bought a game back then, it worked the way it SHOULD have, it came with lots of content, and it was fun. The gaming industry has grown immensely since the PS2, the visual and audible quality has exponentially increased, but the gaming quality has dropped significantly. The stupid thing is aside from physics, games aren't a whole lot more complicated now than they were back then. In fact, devs might actually have it easier today, with more user-friendly APIs and so many games not even having AI opponents.

Last edited by schmidtbag; 11-18-2013 at 17:22.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
Xendance
Ancient Guru
 
Videocard: Nvidia Geforce 570
Processor: Intel i7 2600k
Mainboard: Asus P8P67
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Soundcard: X-FI Platinum+7.1 system
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower
Default 11-18-2013, 17:28 | posts: 5,469 | Location: Funland aka Happycamp aka Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
Peak QUALITY. Big difference. When you bought a game back then, it worked the way it SHOULD have, it came with lots of content, and it was fun. The gaming industry has grown immensely since the PS2, the visual and audible quality has exponentially increased, but the gaming quality has dropped significantly. The stupid thing is aside from physics, games aren't a whole lot more complicated now than they were back then. In fact, devs might actually have it easier today, with more user-friendly APIs and so many games not even having AI opponents.
What's your point? Is that your answer to "why PS 4 won't sell as much as PS 2"?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
dsbig
Ancient Guru
 
Videocard: evga 780 classified
Processor: 3770k @ 4.3ghz
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 16gb 1920mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZxR
PSU: Kingwin 850 watts
Default 11-18-2013, 17:31 | posts: 2,773 | Location: florida

1 million sold and 5 work.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: HIS R9 290
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 11-18-2013, 17:31 | posts: 447 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xendance View Post
What's your point? Is that your answer to "why PS 4 won't sell as much as PS 2"?
That's part of the reason. There's also that PS2 was cheaper, had backwards compatibility with PS1, it was easier to develop for, had better exclusives (than it's competitors), and for some reason just wouldn't die. New PS2 games were still being released long after PS3 was released. I'm not sure how long but I want to say about a year.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
WhiteLightning
Don Illuminati
 
WhiteLightning's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 780GTX ACX
Processor: i7-2600k HT @ 4.5 +H70 PP
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 1000 watt
Default 11-18-2013, 17:41 | posts: 23,570 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
New PS2 games were still being released long after PS3 was released. I'm not sure how long but I want to say about a year.
Fifa 14 was the last one http://coinarcade.org/2013/06/18/r-i...ing-september/
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
Violentum
Banned
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX760 OC
Processor: i5 2500K@4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68V-PRO
Memory: 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1600
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DS+SENNHEISER
PSU: Antec EA500
Default 11-18-2013, 18:05 | posts: 326 | Location: CANADA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbig View Post
1 million sold and 5 work.
LOL beat me too it! I was going to be nice and say 700,000 actualy function properly.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru
 
Loophole35's Avatar
 
Videocard: 670 FTW Sli H2O/780 TFIV
Processor: 2600k@4.8 H2O/2500k@4.5
Mainboard: P8Z68-V PRO/P8Z77-V
Memory: corsair ddr3 8GB@1866
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus/onboard
PSU: Corsair HX850w/TX850w
Default 11-18-2013, 19:07 | posts: 5,465 | Location: FLA,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbig View Post
1 million sold and 5 work.
Guess I got one of the 5 then. Why do you guys on here have to bash on consoles do they scare you that much? Your closed minds and bitterness will keep you from enjoying good games (when they come out).
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
Violentum
Banned
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX760 OC
Processor: i5 2500K@4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68V-PRO
Memory: 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1600
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DS+SENNHEISER
PSU: Antec EA500
Default 11-18-2013, 19:21 | posts: 326 | Location: CANADA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loophole35 View Post
Guess I got one of the 5 then. Why do you guys on here have to bash on consoles do they scare you that much? Your closed minds and bitterness will keep you from enjoying good games (when they come out).
I am anti-console because consoles keep PC gaming back to a large degree. Consoles put a strangle hold on most of the major game makers and this in turn effects us all. I am also against consoles because they also dumb everyone down. All the teenagers that are gamers have this "console" mentality and are too lazy to learn how to game on a PC.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru
 
Loophole35's Avatar
 
Videocard: 670 FTW Sli H2O/780 TFIV
Processor: 2600k@4.8 H2O/2500k@4.5
Mainboard: P8Z68-V PRO/P8Z77-V
Memory: corsair ddr3 8GB@1866
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus/onboard
PSU: Corsair HX850w/TX850w
Default 11-18-2013, 22:21 | posts: 5,465 | Location: FLA,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentum View Post
I am anti-console because consoles keep PC gaming back to a large degree. Consoles put a strangle hold on most of the major game makers and this in turn effects us all. I am also against consoles because they also dumb everyone down. All the teenagers that are gamers have this "console" mentality and are too lazy to learn how to game on a PC.
And your elitist mentality is harmful to new users of PC pushing them to consoles you see the cycle here.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.